Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drobo no longer allowing file creation/writes...?
01-02-2017, 03:00 PM
Drobo no longer allowing file creation/writes...?
Hello All,

I have been using what I believe is the first generation Drobo with the firewire ports on my Mac Pro for quite some time now and has worked flawlessly - however, just recently, I am now lo longer to create new folders or copy files as I get the following error message:

The operation can't be completed.
An unexpected error occurred (error code -50).

Has anyone experienced this and if so, can you please advise what steps are required to resolve. I noticed an issue which when I did a 'get info' on the drive, I noticed the Mac Finder continuosly showed 'Fetching...' for what I believe was the 'Staff' group. I was able to re-add the Staff group and removed the item that showed 'Fetching...' but I am still getting the above error message. It seems that I am able to perform some write operations on the drive at the very beginning and then something seems to prevent me from being able to write to the drive...

Thanks in advance...

Cheers,
Vin.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2017, 07:25 PM
RE: Drobo no longer allowing file creation/writes...?
hi vin,
i think that is the 2nd gen drobo if it has firewire ports... would you be able to try using dashboard to shut it down, and then to try rebooting the mac as well, but this time to swap firewire for usb, if possible, and then powering up the drobo again?

do you still get the error?

am not sure if you have diskwarrior, (and it might be good to try a test scan to see if it find any errros), though can can i also check what dashboard is showing you in terms of health status overall (as well as if each drobo has any mesaged when clicked on, like Healed or Warning), and also how much free space or used space is shown there (in values and %).

also, how are the colours of the lights on your drobo (and dashboard) and are they solidly on certain colours, or are any flashing too?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
01-05-2017, 08:30 AM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2017 08:56 AM by ebaldacchino@hotmail.com.)
(01-04-2017 07:25 PM)Paul Wrote:  hi vin,
i think that is the 2nd gen drobo if it has firewire ports... would you be able to try using dashboard to shut it down, and then to try rebooting the mac as well, but this time to swap firewire for usb, if possible, and then powering up the drobo again?

do you still get the error?

am not sure if you have diskwarrior, (and it might be good to try a test scan to see if it find any errros), though can can i also check what dashboard is showing you in terms of health status overall (as well as if each drobo has any mesaged when clicked on, like Healed or Warning), and also how much free space or used space is shown there (in values and %).

also, how are the colours of the lights on your drobo (and dashboard) and are they solidly on certain colours, or are any flashing too?

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions Paul. I will give your suggestions a try when I get home this evening but what is curious to me, is why try with the USB cable and not the existing Firewire cable?

I can confirm that the Drobo does show as healthy with no errors from what I can tell and with solid green lights for each drive showing. From memory, I believe there is also over 20% of free space on the Drobo available of which I am using a little over 6TB. I will confirm with exact values later today...

One thing I did try which was interesting, is that I booted the Mac Pro in safe mode and all seemed to be OK. I was able to create a folder just fine and copy over a 5GB file from an internal drive on the Mac Pro with no issues.

I also ran DiskWarrior on the Drobo and it showed the directory structure with an index value of 7 which recommended a rebuild. I performed the rebuild to a healthy Index level of 10 but this didn't make any difference to the write issue during normal boot of the Mac.

Also, should I be able to rename the Drobo within the Mac Finder? I tried to rename it to something like 'Drobo 2' from just 'Drobo', and got the following error:

The Name "Drobo 2" can't be used.
Try using a name with fewer characters, or with no punctuation marks.

Thanks again and will report back with some more info later today...

Cheers,
Vin.
01-06-2017, 12:53 PM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2017 12:54 PM by Paul.)
ok thanks for the info so far vin,

for the cables part, some processes do not always seem to complete properly over firewire. i think it was usually a firmware upgrade which preferred a usb connection (maybe it stripped out some data or something though was not sure as to why, just that it was often recommended to try usb). usually, if i ever have any usb problems, i always try another cable or port, or a full reboot of all devices after leaving power off for about 5 or 6 minutes, just in case or a port lock (which can also happen on usb) Smile

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
01-06-2017, 01:34 PM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2017 01:35 PM by ebaldacchino@hotmail.com.)
Thumbs Up RE: Drobo no longer allowing file creation/writes...?
Paul, you are a LEGEND!!!! :-)

It seems to be something to do with the Firewire connection - I didn't bother switching to a USB cable but what I did do, is move my iSight FW webcam to a separate USB/FW PCI card on the Mac Pro, rebooted and all is well - Happy Days!!!!

For some reason, there is something going on between the Drobo and the iSight being on the same Firewire bus - but odd as it hasn't been a problem for as long as I can remember. You mentioned that issues can arise from firmware upgrades - I assume you mean on the Drobo? I don't believe there has been an update for the Gen2 for quite some time now, but I did update the Drobo dashboard software recently - I wonder if that may have affected things?

Anyhow, happy to be able to write to my drive again with no errors, but would love to know what caused this to begin with...

Truly appreciate your time and help on this!

Cheers,
Vin.
01-09-2017, 04:43 PM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2017 04:44 PM by Paul.)
hey thats cool vin - thanks, i never thought id reach a "Legend-ary" status lol Big Grin
(now i can high-five barney stinson) Smile

am glad that you got things working fine again.
it could be possibly one of the updates, but sometimes an operating system update might update a driver for another device (in this case maybe your isight driver was updated and the new code conflicted with the drobo firewire connection in some way)