Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
5D with 1 disk failure and in data protection mode but unmounting every 5-10 minutes
12-12-2016, 05:12 PM
5D with 1 disk failure and in data protection mode but unmounting every 5-10 minutes
Hi,
I have a 5D which I just noticed with a disk failure in Bay0. On the Dashboard the 5d is on a Data Protection mode for the last 24 hours and the function is still not finished as yet. However the 5D is un-mounting every 5-10 minutes or so and therefore I keep getting a "Disk not Ejected Properly" noticed.
I cannot get it stable enough for a diagnostic to be downloaded before it un-mounts again.

I do have headroom in my drives and extra disk space. All drives are filled with drives ranging from 3TB (in bay 0/1) to 4Tbs (in bay 2/3) and 6Tbs (in bay 4/5).

When can I change out the failed drive?
The rest of the 4 drives indicator is relishing yellow/green at the moment.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-14-2016, 05:30 PM (This post was last modified: 12-14-2016 05:32 PM by Paul.)
RE: 5D with 1 disk failure and in data protection mode but unmounting every 5-10 minutes
hi, in some rarer cases, the computer (and/or dashboard) can lose access to the drobo,

in your case though, i think it would be best to leave the drobo to do its rebuild (flashing green and yellow) and not to try any diagnostics because that can slow things down, and possibly also cause the rebuild to start from the beginning again shutdown the computer.

under normal circumstances, the rebuild usually takes about 1 day per 1TB of data that you have on your drobo.
if there is a way for you to exit any programs that might be using the drobo, (and also to disable anything else like spotlight search indexing etc), that could help too.

ideally, i would leave the computer and drobo to do its thing and finish, though if you still need to use your computer, you might be able to shutdown the computer, (and i believe the rebuild would still continue)
and then after say 5minutes, to try unplugging the drobo connection cable from the computer....

then, that should allow the computer to be used again (and the drobo to rebuild in the background), where i believe it will auto turn off (or go into standby mode) after completing.

it might finish sooner, though if the diagnostics logfile generation attempt did cause it to restart the rebuild process, then it might need upto the full amount of time again based on the 1TB per day approximately.

then, once complete, you could attach it to the computer again, to verify that all is well with a stable connection / access, and status, and then you can remove the failed drive (where the drobo and dashboard should recognise this shortly after) and then to put in the replacement drive.

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
12-14-2016, 05:41 PM
RE: 5D with 1 disk failure and in data protection mode but unmounting every 5-10 minutes
Hi Paul, Thank you for your reply and appreciated it.

The 5D, did complete (i Think) the Data protection, as it did reflect that, however it still did not stop the recycling of ejecting the drive and re-booting.
Since it did say that Data Protection was complete, I did managed to shut down the 5D it the interlude and I pulled the failed drive out and replaced it.
Without any drives in the 5D, when I started it up, the drive was visible on the Dashboard and was stable (although with no disk in it).
Subsequently, altering power it off and replaced all the drive in its correct order and with a new drive i restarted the 5D. It is now going through its data protection again but I still see the recycling of ejecting the drive and re-booting.

Really frustrating as I have replaced disk before and also not have this recycling issue previously. Not sure when it will stabilise or at all. This is the real unknown.
12-14-2016, 07:18 PM
ah thanks for the info, if it finished rebuilding, that is good in that sense.

for the removal part (i was actually refering to removing it after you powered back on with a stable state, and actually while the drobo was still on, to remove it, and then to also put in the replacemet while still on) - this is because doing that while powered off can confuse the drobo - however, when you did put the replacement drive back inside, it would have had to do some kind of rebuild anyway, to get the data spread out evenly across all the drives, so it looks like it did recognise it.

hopefully things will settle down after the current rebuild finishes, and then you might need to issue the shutdown command once all lights are solid green again, from dashboard, and to also shutdown the computer and power all off for about 10 minutes - but that will probably be in a few days time depending on how much data you have though.

2 new things came to mind - can i check if when you mention "rebooting" is the drobo itself actually rebooting? (or just losing and regaining access from the computer?)

it might also be possibly a problem with a cable or port, (which has been seen before as a cause of an issue), so probably worth trying out with a full shutdown and fresh port or cable after the currently rebuild finishes i think.

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
12-16-2016, 04:17 PM
Hi Paul,
Many thanks for your last note.
The "re-build" has been going on for the last couple of days and seems not to be done as yet. The re-booting is really I think loosing connection to my Mac gathering than powering down and starting back up.
Prior to my inserting the replacement drive, I changed my cable from a thunderbolt cable to a USB3 cable to check if it was a cable issue. I still found the Drobo dropping its connection regularly still, every few minutes or so. Most of the time, the Dashboard cannot pick up the presence of the 5D when it comes on line intermittently as well.

I am not sure how to proceed now.
12-16-2016, 05:12 PM
ah thanks for the clarification,
i think best thing is to leave it be, possibly you could exit dashboard, to see if that helps eliminate any popups, and if you really needed to use the computer, and found the popups unbearable, then you could try
- shutting down the computer,
- and once that is off, to then wait a few minutes to make sure there is no activity light on the usual computer activity light on the drobo,
- and then to remove the computer connection cable (from the computer side)
- and the drobo should continue rebuilding (i saw somewhere recently that it wont accept a shutdown command when rebuilding, so with this in mind, i think it will also ignore a standby mode, if it detects that it is no longer plugged into a computer)
- then you could power up the computer on its own, and use that until the drobo physical unit reports the all clear,

(and hopefully this will happen soon for you anyway) - but please let us know how things go over the weekend

12-18-2016, 06:25 PM
Hi Paul,
I left it over the weekend with the data cable unconnected and the 5D shut down rather than rebuilding. I had prior to that also tried connecting the 5D to another Mac, and had exactly the same issue as the first, that is, the cycling of disconnection.
This morning when I tried to re-connect the 5D to my original Mac, per your suggestion but the disconnection occured again. The blue light under the disk array are lit and and occasionally the disk light still blinks from yellow to green.

Sigh.....! I guess this is the second time I lost an entire disk array on a drobo.
12-20-2016, 05:24 PM
hi gchcheok, am sorry to hear it is still having the problem,
please dont give up just yet as there are still some more things that could be attempted...

one idea is that if we imagine that you have a certain amount of data, for example if we just say 6TB of data was on the drobo, then can you remember how much time has elapsed, when it was actually doing rebuilds and reboots?
if it has been already for longer than the 1day per 1TB, then there is a high chance that it will not complete...

seeing as it shut down and is disconnecting, (either with usb or thunderbolt) it might be worth trying to let it continue if rebuild (and disconnects) for some more time, at least to cover the 1day per 1TB of data that you have, especially if it has already been attempting a rebuild for a fair amount of time, then there might not be too much more time to go, hopefully.

another thing that has been used successfully in some of the reboot cases, was to try putting your drobo into a read only mode, for example as mentioned here:
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?
(it could help to get the drobo into a stable state just to be able to copy some data from it)

if you are still in support though, then it is probaly best to make a ticket for the support team, as they may be able to best advice you on the current situation, and may mention when best to take some logfiles for analysis (i think you can still create a support ticket for a one time pay per incident even in case out of support if you like, though please do not take any diagnostics log yet until they confirm, because the generation of them can sometimes disrupt things or cause a rebuild process to start from the start again)