Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Many Issues: Unmounting, No Drive, Etc.
12-12-2016, 06:51 AM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2016 07:06 AM by partick@patricksmithphotos.com.)
Many Issues: Unmounting, No Drive, Etc.
I've been a Drobo 5D user for many years without any issues.

First, I use it as a main backup. Each month, I'll back up to multiple separate external Western Digital drives...and then the Drobo (which stores everything in one place).

A couple of weeks ago I got an error on my Apple Macbook Pro when copying to only the Drobo. It said the data copying couldn't be written (error code -36), despite it copying fine to multiple other Western Digital hard-drives.

Since then, my Drobo 5D will:
1) Unmount randomly
2) Continue to give me errors like the aforementioned (again, don't happen on any other external drive)
3) Say there is no drive in the top bay, despite there being a hard-drive in there
4) If I pull all the drives out, and power on, it shows all bays empty, except the top drive (where it says add drive).

I've taken out the drive where it's giving me a red light and replaced it in, only to have data protection for hours - and then everything working fine again.

Alas, I've I'm constantly weary of using my Drobo because of all this. Not sure where to go from here and hoping someone can help me out!

Thanks!

PS - Before my last backup, I had 22 percent capacity left, which was about 3TB. During my last backup I only was putting about 200GB on there.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-12-2016, 05:01 PM
RE: Many Issues: Unmounting, No Drive, Etc.
hi patrick, can you remember how long your backup usually takes, and if you are able to stay present to watch things periodically? im just wondering if the space keeps dipping low, and if this is also the same drobo that you posted about here?
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
12-13-2016, 03:06 PM
Paul,
The backup can take quite some time as the speeds don't seem great as they used to. However, when I'm sitting there watching it can take 1-2 hours. If I let it run, it can take upwards of 4-5 hours.

It is also the same Drobo from the link, which still has five 4TB drives it in, and to echo my first post, I had 22 percent capacity left, which was about 3TB. During my last backup I only was putting about 200GB on there.
12-14-2016, 05:56 PM (This post was last modified: 12-14-2016 05:57 PM by Paul.)
thanks for more info patrick,

(btw youre probably already aware, though in case your disk pack drives are out currently, just to mention that diskpack drives should only be removed, or inserted, in their entirety and only when power is all off and unplugged.)

at first thought, i was thinking that it might be worth running a maintenance or file system check (such as diskwarrior), but now with the physical errors, like a drive bay that is no longer recognising a drive (assuming that both the main unit, as well as dashboard were both showing that bay as empty when it had a drive inside), leads me to believe that the unit might be having an intermittent fault.... possibly the backplane, which has been known to be damaged if moving the drobo around or tilting it with drives inside etc).

its good that you already have other backups of the data,
it might be worth trying to open a ticket with the support team, (including generating some diagostics logsfiles from dashboard), as they will be better able to determine if the unit is having a hardware fault). (i think you can still raise a paid ticket even if out of support, if you would wish)

there are also some more tests that you could try, (especially if your data is already backed-up), such as:
- checking in dashboard to see if any of the drive bays show additional information when clicked on, such as "warning" or "healed" or something else for the bay.

- and also powering all off, and unplugging all cables and swapping a known (recognised drive) with the drive in the bay that was no longer recognised), and reattaching cables and powering up in this way for this test... if the bad bay seems to follow the drive, then it could be a drive issue?)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)