Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Move from Drobo FS to Drobo 5N
12-10-2016, 04:15 PM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2016 04:15 PM by ccMatrix-1.)
Question Move from Drobo FS to Drobo 5N
Hello guy, I need some help...

Since I am now at the 16 TB limit of my beloved Drobo FS I am thinking about moving the data over to a new 5N. Since I can't afford to buy a whole set of new HDDs I am thinking about how I can make the move.

From what I read here: https://myproducts.drobo.com/article/AA-01867 it seems like I can not just plug those disks into the new 5N because then I am still stuck at 16 TB with no way to upgrade to the 64 TB, right?

Now the easiest would be to just create a new volume with 64TB on the same disk array and move the data but as far as I can see, this is not possible since there is only one volume with different shares, right?

If both of these assumptions are right, this was an idea I had:

My Drobo FS currently has 5 Disks: 6TB, 6TB, 4TB, 4TB, 4TB

Now I was thinking I could go ahead and buy the 5N with an new 6TB HDD. Then pull the 6TB from the FS and insert it in the 5N together with the new 6TB. Then I start to move files over to the new share. The old Drobo FS now frees up some space and when the new one nears the limit I move the second 6TB from the FS to the 5N and after that the 2 4TB making it a gradual move. Could this work or am I missing something? I know that for the time of the transfer I will lose the redundancy.

Any input, ideas? I missed the Black Friday/Cyper Week sales for this so I will have to wait for the next round of offers - hopefully by Christmas already.

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-12-2016, 04:32 PM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2016 04:34 PM by Paul.)
RE: Move from Drobo FS to Drobo 5N
hi cc-matrix, there was a similar question the other day which has the same advice (essentially) that might be useful for you here: http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?

(it was for a different model, but if you have a look at what i wrote in essence there, i think you can do something similar)
however, if you can, it might be best to get a new 5n, with 2 blank/empty/unneeded drives and to create a fresh, new, diskpack there on the 5N with the latest firmware and volume size..... and then to start copying as much data up to 94%, before verifying and deleting that data from the fs, (letting the dashboard catch up as it reclaims free space, with used space visibly reducing), before removing any drive from your fs... this way, any rebuilds on your fs, will be quicker too)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply