Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drobo 5Dt speed too slow?
12-10-2016, 05:39 AM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2016 05:39 AM by albertdros.)
Drobo 5Dt speed too slow?
Hey guys,

First post here. I have a pretty basic questions. What are standard speeds I can expect with the Drobo 5Dt? I'm asking this because I currently have it equipped with 2 4 TB WD Blacks and the Read/Write speed with the BlackMagic Disk Tool is about 100/150. I'm not sure if this is normal or if it should be much faster. When I check a review here in which a guy is using WD Blue drives, he is getting much better speeds:

http://www.funkykit.com/reviews/storage/...http://www.funkykit.com/reviews/storage/drobo-5dt-review-turbo-edit

Is this because I am only using 2 drives? Does the speed increase when I am using 5 drives? I thought the WD Blacks should be faster than the Blue.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-12-2016, 12:13 PM
RE: Drobo 5Dt speed too slow?
There are a few things that I have found affect the speed of the drobo.

1) Type of cable that's connected: Thunderbolt should be good on the speed. If you have a USB 3.0 cable, check the USB system properties in OS X or device manager in windows to make sure the Drobo connected in USB 3.0 & not 2.0. If you're in 2.0, you may have a bad cable...unlikely, though. I ran into that issue & found it was the cable...a quick replacement bumped me from 50MBps (using Bytes, not bits) to over 250.

2) Drive space used: When you are at over 80-90%, the thing will grind to a halt as the Drobo micromanages the backup.

3) if using USB 3.0, the number of USB devices connected will drastically reduce the speed. With USB 2.0, it equally divided the speed across all devices, regardless of the type. example:
60MBps 2-way

logitech unifying wireless connector: 20MBps
Drobo: 20MBps
UPS connector: 20MBps
for a total of 60. Now maybe USB 3.0 has changed it to a better QOS, but I haven't looked this up.

4) Status of backup: If you just dumped 1TB on your 4TB drives & started testing for speed right after you completed that transfer, your speed will be slow because Drobo is commandeering the speed to build the backup on your second drive.

5) 2.4GHz wifi: Very unlikely, but if you were like me & had the drobo right next to your router & run the usb cable right by the 2.4GHz antennas, you'll see a speed impact unless the cables are well shielded. The two interfere with each other.

6) Dying drive: If your drive has not died yet but is on its way out...the Drobo should start correcting the faulted data using the backup...this takes speed. I think I'm actually in this bucket as I have 5 drives, 2 are backups, & a few of my files (even large) are READING at 3MBps. I don't know which drive is bad, but I'm backing up & will rebuild the Drobo in a few days.

7) Fragmentation: I don't know how susceptible the Drobo is on this, but fragmentation on a spinning drive has a massive impact on read/write.

8) Testing random speeds: Uncached random read/write tests should be really slow on both SSDs & traditional Hard disks. On order of as low as a few hundred KBps.

If you're not in any of the above situations, you could pull a diagnostics log & send it to drobo to see if there are any other issues.

(12-10-2016 05:39 AM)albertdros Wrote:  Hey guys,

First post here. I have a pretty basic questions. What are standard speeds I can expect with the Drobo 5Dt? I'm asking this because I currently have it equipped with 2 4 TB WD Blacks and the Read/Write speed with the BlackMagic Disk Tool is about 100/150. I'm not sure if this is normal or if it should be much faster. When I check a review here in which a guy is using WD Blue drives, he is getting much better speeds:

http://www.funkykit.com/reviews/storage/...http://www.funkykit.com/reviews/storage/drobo-5dt-review-turbo-edit

Is this because I am only using 2 drives? Does the speed increase when I am using 5 drives? I thought the WD Blacks should be faster than the Blue.
12-12-2016, 03:21 PM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2016 03:26 PM by Paul.)
hi just to add some more info to the info from trebuin,

as far as i remember, 2 drives can actually be the fastest in some cases, with a slight drop in speed as more drives are added.

for points 4) and 7) above, there is an optimisation process, which address these, as well as a space reclamation process (which usually happens after lots of data is deleted). and also on a monthly basis or so, there will be an extra data integrity process that runs in the background to verify all the blocks. (it is known as scrubbing, but i think verifying is a better description) Smile

If you are trying speed tests (from a fun perspective of getting some stats for your drobo) that is cool in itself Smile though if you wait a bit to let things settle down and finish optimising, and then to try again, you might get better results....

... then again, if you are happy with how things are working, and you are able to do the things you wish, then the stats probably dont really matter that much. (if you check my sig below, there is some stats about some of my drobos there in case useful)
(as you can see, i think i was happy enough with the speeds of the 5D that i didnt do a speed test) Big Grin

(btw trebuin thats good to know about point 5), i wasnt aware of that. though for you, after your backups are complete, it might be worth checking dashboard and clicking on each of your drives to bring up the drop down menu for individual drive health, just in case one of your drives has a "warning" of "healed message label next to it?)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
12-13-2016, 06:08 PM (This post was last modified: 12-13-2016 07:23 PM by Trebuin.)
Thanks for the reply. As it turns out, last night I was watching the last bit of the backup completing (3TB is a lot) & I got a pop-up message stating that a drive was successfully rebuilt. I brought up that & it changed from every drive being good to one of them now showing a warning. I just pulled it & am using DriveDx to check the SMART now to see what happened. It was a newer 3TB green drive vs the 1TB I was suspecting. I'll come back when I get more info if you're interested. I'm planning on rebuilding the disk pack as a HFS+ vs the NTFS that it was to hopefully avoid issues in the future. I had it plugged into an ASUS router & when the updated from Paragon to Tuxtra NTFS drivers, it instantly corrupted the NTFS partition. I found that regardless of any drive, it will corrupt NTFS...probably due to the size. The backup is EXT3 now & works fine. It had no issues with HFS as well, & since I plan to plug it back into a mac, I'm going HFS. I just upgraded from a Drobo S to the D since I got it on a rather large sale. If anyone is in need of a Drobo S, let me know.

(12-12-2016 03:21 PM)Paul Wrote:  hi just to add some more info to the info from trebuin,

as far as i remember, 2 drives can actually be the fastest in some cases, with a slight drop in speed as more drives are added.

for points 4) and 7) above, there is an optimisation process, which address these, as well as a space reclamation process (which usually happens after lots of data is deleted). and also on a monthly basis or so, there will be an extra data integrity process that runs in the background to verify all the blocks. (it is known as scrubbing, but i think verifying is a better description) Smile

If you are trying speed tests (from a fun perspective of getting some stats for your drobo) that is cool in itself Smile though if you wait a bit to let things settle down and finish optimising, and then to try again, you might get better results....

... then again, if you are happy with how things are working, and you are able to do the things you wish, then the stats probably dont really matter that much. (if you check my sig below, there is some stats about some of my drobos there in case useful)
(as you can see, i think i was happy enough with the speeds of the 5D that i didnt do a speed test) Big Grin

(btw trebuin thats good to know about point 5), i wasnt aware of that. though for you, after your backups are complete, it might be worth checking dashboard and clicking on each of your drives to bring up the drop down menu for individual drive health, just in case one of your drives has a "warning" of "healed message label next to it?)

1 pending bad sector awaiting rewrite & 3 bad sectors per DriveDx. the 1TB had a warning that it exceeded the factory head park count design & I have an older 1TB drive that will be suitable. I'm rebuilding the pack now & I'll run a full surface scan on it in hopes that it will show full speed.

Edit: after further thought, I'm going to give up on the 3TB green & replace it with an older 1TB. As it turns out, I have a 2008 & a 2010 1tb & the 2008 has half the life used that the 2010 has. I'll bench the 3TB red I got against the 1TB green, but I don't suspect a difference in speed. If that's the case, I'll just stay with the 1TB instead of buying yet another 3TB.
12-14-2016, 06:06 PM (This post was last modified: 12-14-2016 06:07 PM by Paul.)
ah sure, the more info the merrier trebuin,

some green drives have a tler setting that several users have recommended that the green drive is attached separately to the computer and for the drives firmware to be updated (or the tler settings changed) to allow it to be more durable in that regard. western digital made a tool available for this, but am not sure for other makes - it could be worth checking out before you put the drive in your drobo?

btw if you are in the uk, having a spare drobo-s could be just the thing to help me salvage my gen1 which is still having issues - if that is the case please free to message me and we can try and sort something out? Smile

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
12-14-2016, 07:26 PM (This post was last modified: 12-16-2016 04:00 PM by Paul.)
(btw thanks trebuin - i replied back but my box keeps filling up and am not able to see if you got the reply - and it wont let me send another message to you - if you didnt get any reply please let me know though)

12-15-2016, 04:36 PM
wow so much replies suddenly Big Grin Thanks guys. My Drobo and drives are super new, so I don't think there's any bad drive. The Drobo is connected to my mbp with thunderbolt, so no USB. I could pull diagnostics and send them to Drobo. The speeds are fine for now and I have no problem working with them. However, I am going to use the Drobo later to edit 4k video realtime, so I want it to be as fast as possible. I thought the WD Black drives would be like that, and I still think they should be faster (especially when I check that review in the link where a guy with WD blue has faster speeds...)
12-16-2016, 04:11 PM (This post was last modified: 12-16-2016 04:14 PM by Paul.)
hi albert,
can you remember if that other person in the drive review was having a stand-alone or internal blue drive, or was it in an enclosure as part of a larger array? as far as i know, any drives in an array of somesort, are likely to be slower than standalone, so that can always have a bearing on speed.

im not sure about 4k editing - i think the largest file (from a quick search before) that i have edited on my drobo-S was approximately this:
1440x1080 video (25fps pal) approx 13000kbps bitrate (which was fine for me and usb)

but i seem to remember a couple of users mentioning that for some edits, an msata initially slowed things a bit, until it started improving, so it might worth trying some more tests when you do the editing.

one thing that may help, depending on your drive space etc, could be that if some things are slower when reading from, and wrting to the drobo, then maybe having the source files locally, and saving to the drobo (or vice versa) could help too.

for example, i didnt have enough local space for all the 20GB or 100GB of source clips, so i mainly stored them on the drobo, and worked with the project timeline etc there, and then simply outputted the final render to my local drive. (which was only say 5GB) and then i could test it locally, and test chapters etc, and then if it wasnt ok, i could delete it and quickly modify and then output another render.. in this way, it seemed to work great as was fairly quick, whereas if i kept outputting all the test renders to the drobo (from the drobo), im pretty sure it would have been slower...and then when i was happy with the final render, i simply saved the project version on the drobo, quit all the programs, and simply copied the final render back to a location on the drobo for permanent storage.

then i probably proceeded to burn the dvd or whatever to disc locally, while the drobo self optimised etc, and then once all ok i deleted the extra local copy.

01-26-2017, 04:38 PM
Hello Everyone I have a speed question. I have a new Drobe 5D connected USB 3.0 on an Asus X99 deluxe motherboard. I updated the drivers to the motherboard as I was having slow write speed (10 Mb/s) to the Drobo. I am using Seagate Green 3 TB drives ST3000DM008-2DM x 5 drives in the drobo. What speeds am I suppose to see for both Write and read speeds? Are there some settings I am overlooking? It seems to me I should be seeing at least 60 Mb/s or faster. What can I expect? Needs suggestions.
01-27-2017, 03:14 PM (This post was last modified: 01-27-2017 03:15 PM by Paul.)
hi james, overall, for a drobo with drives working fine, plenty of free space and no other processes taking place as mentioned above, ive seen up to 96MB/s on one of mine.

the more drives that are inside it, do add a bit to the performance hit, but it should be able to easily get above the speeds you mention... do you have any more info you can post back with, such as if all drives are a solid green, and if each drive in dashboard shows you a healthy status, or are there any warning or healed messages there too?

any other info you have like how much used % and free % of space you have, and if you recently carried out any operations could be handy too