Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drobo 5C cable: Type-A to Type-C cable
12-01-2016, 05:42 AM
Drobo 5C cable: Type-A to Type-C cable
From the product sheet, delivers with: 3.3 ft. (1 m) USB 3.0, Type-A to Type-C cable

Must be a typo?

Drobe 2:nd gen, Drobo 5N & Drobo 5D
English is a funny language, seldom it spells the words like I do.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2016, 02:26 PM
RE: Drobo 5C cable: Type-A to Type-C cable
Why would it be a typo?
12-01-2016, 07:36 PM
(12-01-2016 02:26 PM)TheBang Wrote:  Why would it be a typo?

If I buy an USB-C DAS for my USB-C equipped computer why do I want an USB-A to USB-C cable???

Drobe 2:nd gen, Drobo 5N & Drobo 5D
English is a funny language, seldom it spells the words like I do.
12-02-2016, 05:04 PM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2016 05:06 PM by Paul.)
hi i could of course be mistaken, but i think cekari has a point...

for example, if we buy a drobo 5C, for use on a windows computer (which just has the basic usb ports), how would a usb c connector fit? Smile
hang on a second... type C is the actual connection on the physical drobo c Smile

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
01-21-2017, 09:46 PM
I doubt it's a typo.

The cheaper 4-bay has been dropped from the line-up, and drobo has replaced it with the 5c, much cheaper than the 5D.

Most people still have USB2/3 gear, not USB-C, so they can get this drobo and connect out of the box. When they upgrade their computer, they can get a new cable and the drobo is ready, again.

At this point, far fewer people will need USB-C connectivity. Yes, they will have to get their own cable. drobo could provide two cables (wasteful, mostly) or offer an option at time of purchase (a bit of a hassle inventory-wise). Whether I agree or not, from their business standpoint, it makes the most sense. I remember a similar issue when USB printers first started shipping.
01-23-2017, 09:32 AM
i still have a parallel port printer somewhere...
the only problem nowadays (at least from what i experienced) is that it has always been hard to move a perfectly good and working printer or scanner, from one protocol to another (or from same protocol, but from 1 computer operating system to another)..

especially scanners, they have been really hard to get proper drivers such as when moving from xp to windows 7 for example.

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)