Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
DroboPro FS - Internal Problem/Mount Failed
12-21-2016, 10:31 PM
RE: DroboPro FS - Internal Problem/Mount Failed
(12-21-2016 07:29 PM)Paul Wrote:  ah stephen that is fair enough indeed,
i guess all i can suggest from my side at present, would be to simply try if possible, to keep the existing fsck process running for as long as you can until absolutely necessary to stop it, just in case as it may just need more time to complete.

(am sorry i didnt have a definitive answer though i hope to get some more familiarity with nas units over time since all my exposure so far has been on the das drobos that i use via usb, so that i can try running that process to learn more about how long it might need under certain situations, as im often running the windows chkdsk equivalent on a regular basis whenever a program or my computer crashes)
by the way, cnottingham if you happen to see this, is there a chance you could try to post back if you can remember approximately how much data you had on your drobo at the time, or maybe even just some more info about how many drives and sizes you had, and if it was SDR or DDR mode? (maybe we can use those values to try and get a better estimate for what stephens might actually need?)

I just simply wish I had a way of knowing that it's actually doing something, and not frozen for the last 3 weeks and 3 days.... so I could attempt the fix I see others have done, where they pull the drives, put one in, flash the firmware, and then put the original drives back in.

Or I could attempt to put them into a DroboPro that I have available to move the drobopack (I think that's the correct term?) to.

But no... here I sit... waiting, praying, wishing, hoping that something is actually happening with the supposed fsck process.... (Drobo folks, are you listening?... perhaps a flashing LED on the device to let me know where is some activity of some sort????, or something within DroboDashboard????)

Does Drobo actually expect a real business to rely upon a device like this? Hopefully the newer models are better than this current boat anchor that I have been blessed with.

So... I'll humor myself and anyone else and go a full MONTH to see if this Boat Anchor is anything but a Boat Anchor.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-28-2016, 05:38 PM (This post was last modified: 12-28-2016 09:31 PM by sjtsnix.)
Good News, and Bad news.....

[b]Bad news[/b]... after wasting almost a month.. and hoping that the " File System Maintenance in Progress" was actually Progressing, I gave up, and powered the DroboPro FS Down.

Good news.... is I have gained access to my data again.

If I recall correctly, I did the following:

1. Powered DroboPro FS down using switch on the back of the device

2. Ejected all 8 drives (500 GB drives)

3. Inserted a single 80 GB drive in the 1st bay

4. Powered on the DroboPro FS, Drobo recongized the drive, but gave me a mounting error and also saw the standard message that drobo couldn't protect me because of only one drive present

5. I inserted a 2nd 80 GB drive into the 2nd drive bay, and let it 'rebuild' which took about 15 minutes.

6. I then did a reset at: Drobo Settings: Tools: Drobo Reset...

7. After the Reset, I could access the space on the two 80 GB drives, so I powered it down

8. I pulled the two 80 GB drives, inserted the original 8 500 GB drives and powered it up.

9. a quick start run \\drobo\ and I could see the folders that have eluded me for a month.

I proceeded to EVACUATE all irreplaceable data to somewhere on the network other than this DroboPro FS

At this time, the drobo still showed no blue lights indicating that it thought no space was being consumed, and DroboDashboard was showing under it's Status that Used was 0TB, Free was 2.57 TB

Then... out of the blue... I start getting email notifications that Volume 1 is at 95%, and the drive in Bay 1 goes red, and I'm prompted to replace it with a larger drive....

I am in the middle of MOVING data off of the Drobo. it still continues to moving data... and I pop open a random picture off the EVACUATED Data that has been moved to a safer place on my server, and I've got good data copied to the safe place...

so, now that I've removed all data from the Drobo... it is still sitting there telling me:

Used: 2.57 TB (100%)
Free: 0 B (0%)
Total: 2.57 TB
Volume 1: 7.03 XB (52428800%)
Volume 2: 128.22 MB (0%)

Yes, that is not a typo... that is 7.03 XB (52428800%)

So, next step is to try to reset this thing to make it usable again (to store recordings from my Windows Media Center DVR..... instead of holding irreplaceable data...

Stephen
12-28-2016, 10:50 PM
hi stephen,
thank you for taking the time to note down all of the steps that you have taken. i know it has to have been frustrating waiting, and there were some forum login issues recently which probably did not help either.

im not 100% sure if there was an internal glitch that you were able to get resolved with your diskpack/reset process, (or if letting the check continue for so long had anything to do with it, though either way i am very glad to hear that you have been able to access all of data again.

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
12-28-2016, 11:14 PM
Just stumbled upon this article:

http://www.suitetake.com/2009/08/21/the-...http://www.suitetake.com/2009/08/21/the-dark-side

The discussion on how Windows see's it as a 16 TB device... and with 8x500Gb in it... it's a tad less than 16 TB, coming in at 2.58 TB due to setting it up with dual disk redundancy... it appears that I may have exceeded the 2.58 TB capacity and "Fallen off the cliff" so to speak.

Now that I realize there is a 'cliff' at 2.58 TB that, if appoached.... bad things... very bad things will happen with any data on the Drobo.... I will NEVER use this for anything but Windows Media Center recordings. I will place all my important data anywhere BUT a Drobo Device.

Why in the world would Drobo design this device to allow the Clients to see "16 TB" available... when there is really only a capacity less than 16 TB's? And thus allow for the pain and suffering that can and does occur per the article above... and apparently what I experienced..... Really?... people pay this kind of money for a device that will self sabotage itself like this?

Someone tell me the theory presented in this article is wrong!.... I don't think it is....

I guess I could toss eight 2TB drives in the device and push the virtual cliff out to where the real cliff is, at 16 TB.... and well wait... if I go with dual disk redundancy... well, then... my virutal cliff would set at 12 TB's... and if step over the 12 TB virtual cliff, then Boom... it all goes away....

and this is a Professional Level NAS device?... Really?
12-29-2016, 09:56 PM (This post was last modified: 03-21-2017 08:55 AM by sjtsnix.)
interesting that I see more 'official' drobo activity here:

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2...https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/208362-drobo-nightm

than i do in this forum...

The 'nightmare' is worth reading.
Now that my Drobo is functional again... I'm moving Windows Media Center WTV files back to the Drobo....

and now, this DroboPro FS keeps becoming inaccessible from multiple Windows systems..... I can ping it by IP... but it just appears to burp and not be accessible by \\Drobo\Media or \\IPaddress\Media until I reboot it....

*SIGH*