Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
DroboPro FS - Internal Problem/Mount Failed
12-09-2016, 04:01 PM
RE: DroboPro FS - Internal Problem/Mount Failed
hi stephen, while i only have the das models here, im pretty sure that the file system check is on the actual diskpack and diskpack data itself. (hopefully just another few days or so to go)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2016, 10:41 AM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2016 03:44 PM by sjtsnix.)
Day 12.... no change in status.. the Drobo is still repairing itself, or so it leaves me to believe...

Random thought 1: Do the newer Drobo's ever suffer this fate, where they can't mount the drives?

Random thought 2: If the newer Drobo's do suffer this fate, and have to have a File Maineance in Progress, is there any sort of progress indication that something is actually making some sort of progress?

Random thought 3: Does anyone actually use a DroboPro FS in a real world production environment? I guess I'm fortunate that I have the luxury of time as I hope and pray that this DroboPro FS returns from the dead to be a functioning member of my network again. If I had to reply upon this thing for a business, I don't think waiting for two weeks to see if it returns from the dead would be something I'd want to purchase for a business to rely upon.

Anyways, at least at present, I can make the the Lights Blink on it from the Drobo Dashboard... with it being the Christmas Season, the alternate Green/Red light show is fitting for the time of the year.

I can also get it to "Send Test Email" from the Dashboard Preferences

So, there is a pulse of some sort... I assume. But then again... a person can be brain dead and still have a pulse.. not an equal analogy.. but hey..., I'm keeping myself optimistically entertained as I wait for a return from the dead of my DroboPro FS.

Perhaps I will bestow the nickname of Lazarus upon my DroboPro FS, should it rise from the dead...

Then, with my luck, every time I make the lights flash or have it send a test email, it starts the "File System Maintenance" over from the beginning.... and this will never end, as I'm enjoying watching the lights flash (and getting an email from Lazarus)
12-11-2016, 01:09 PM
A question just came to mind....

Is the "File Maintenance in Progress" occurring independent of the Drobo Dashboard being open on my desktop?

Looking at Task Manager, the "Drobo Dashboard" is staying less that 0.5% of CPU, so I'm assuming the "File Maintenance" that is hopefully still running for the last 13 days, is occurring on the Drobo itself and not relying upon the Drobo Dashboard being open.

Stephen
12-12-2016, 03:06 PM
hi it is an unfortunate situation that you are in, though it is good that you do have a humourous side, at least during the festive season Smile

for the fsck, i think that dashboard is what initiates the process, but that once it starts, it simply then waits for the process to finish and then receive the status report from the drobo. (i could be mistaken though so if anyone has any more info about that process please do let us know)

depending on your data, it might be worth raising a ticket with the support team meanwhile too, (as i believe you could get a pay-per-incident even if in case out of support), though it is probably also best to stop forcing the drobo xmas lights to blink, just in case it has been causing it to start again.

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
12-13-2016, 08:43 PM
Day 15.... I launch the Drobo Dashboard hoping for some change in status....

Well, I do get something different... the Drobo Dashboard is prompting me to upgrade to version 2.8.5...

I doubt that's going to do anything to fix anything with my apparently dead Drobo.....(or so it seems to be the eventual outcome)

I've seen someone else post that under "Tools: Drobo Info" that it showed info indicating the "Free Space" was such that it showed the drobo saw data.

In my case I see:
Used 145.10 MB (0%)
Free 2.57 TB (100%)
Total 2.57 TB

Is the fact that my Free is equal to my total, does this mean the Drobo doesn't see anything, and that I'm wasting my time hoping that the dobro will actually fix something?

Stephen
12-14-2016, 05:22 PM
ah im not sure about that stephen, it may be the way the repair process changes things somehow to appear as though nothing is there while it runs through the process. being honest, it is probably worth raising a ticket for the support team, and also mentioning this post (partly while an agent reads up on this post to learn whats been going on so far, but also it would allow some more elapsed time for the repair process in case it finishes).

if you were thinking about getting a replacement model (or suitable replacement for migration at some point anyway) there might be a way to purchase the new unit from drobo, and i think it may also come with free migration support, just to save you having to create 2 tickets, though please double check with the sales just in case i misunderstood something)

12-18-2016, 03:55 PM (This post was last modified: 12-18-2016 03:58 PM by sjtsnix.)
Day 20..... no change.... File System Maintenance in Progress

I guess it does say MONTHS at the page below

https://myproducts.drobo.com/article/AA-01333

I guess that statement is sort of like signing a informed consent when having surgery.... the informed consent states all these bad things could happen, including death.

I wonder if my Drobo has experienced Death....

I wish there was some sort of means to measure it's heartbeat.... if it were still breathing....
12-20-2016, 05:12 PM
ah sorry my internet was out until now,
i guess if you try the support team, there might be some kind of "average" timescale that they might be aware of, for example based on a certain amount of drives in the system, or for a certain amout of used space?

maybe 1TB of data takes x days (on average), and spread over 5 drives, takes a certain amount, ,and maybe when they mentioned months it was for the largest possible drive size (assuming really used and low on space) but maybe your one just might need several weeks)... its worth asking them, especially if youre getting another unit, as maybe there is a way to check if the fsck is still in progress, bit in a way that would not be intrusive or disruptive to the current process, just in case doing something causes it to start from scratch (like the diagnostics i think you mentioned before)

12-20-2016, 08:22 PM (This post was last modified: 12-20-2016 08:23 PM by sjtsnix.)
(12-20-2016 05:12 PM)Paul Wrote:  ah sorry my internet was out until now,
i guess if you try the support team, there might be some kind of "average" timescale that they might be aware of, for example based on a certain amount of drives in the system, or for a certain amout of used space?

maybe 1TB of data takes x days (on average), and spread over 5 drives, takes a certain amount, ,and maybe when they mentioned months it was for the largest possible drive size (assuming really used and low on space) but maybe your one just might need several weeks)... its worth asking them, especially if youre getting another unit, as maybe there is a way to check if the fsck is still in progress, bit in a way that would not be intrusive or disruptive to the current process, just in case doing something causes it to start from scratch (like the diagnostics i think you mentioned before)

Hello Paul,

Well, at this point, I doubt I'll every buy another Drobo.

Paying Drobo Support a 'ransom' for knowledge to get my data back.... sorry, won't do that now, and certainly won't do so in the future. This is not for a business, this is to back up photo's and data at home. I don't have the budget to pay for a support ticket to Drobo for help on this.

Guess I learned my lesson here, never purchase a Drobo again.... well, two lessons... make sure your backup of your dobro is up to date.

This fsck process has been going on entirely too long.

I would assume Drobo Support probably pursues these forums and reads what's going on occasionally... , shame that don't have a company rep that can offer advice....

Just sign me "Frustrated and annoyed in California"....
12-21-2016, 07:29 PM (This post was last modified: 12-21-2016 07:32 PM by Paul.)
ah stephen that is fair enough indeed,
i guess all i can suggest from my side at present, would be to simply try if possible, to keep the existing fsck process running for as long as you can until absolutely necessary to stop it, just in case as it may just need more time to complete.

(am sorry i didnt have a definitive answer though i hope to get some more familiarity with nas units over time since all my exposure so far has been on the das drobos that i use via usb, so that i can try running that process to learn more about how long it might need under certain situations, as im often running the windows chkdsk equivalent on a regular basis whenever a program or my computer crashes)
by the way, cnottingham if you happen to see this, is there a chance you could try to post back if you can remember approximately how much data you had on your drobo at the time, or maybe even just some more info about how many drives and sizes you had, and if it was SDR or DDR mode? (maybe we can use those values to try and get a better estimate for what stephens might actually need?)