Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
DroboPro FS - Internal Problem/Mount Failed
11-27-2016, 09:46 PM (This post was last modified: 11-28-2016 08:56 PM by sjtsnix.)
Sad DroboPro FS - Internal Problem/Mount Failed
I've a DroboPro FS with 8 drives.

I powered the Drobo up this morning after having powered it down yesterday via the switch in the back.

After not being able to access the multiple shares on my Windows system at \\drobo\sharenames I attempted via IP, with same result

I'm able to get to the drobo dashboard from two different systems on the network, and discover an error message of "Mount Failed"

Per: https://myproducts.drobo.com/article/AA-01333 I am running a repair on the Drobo.

at the above referenced page, it states:

"Depending on the degree of damage to the file system, the repair may run for several days, weeks or months."

Two Questions:
1. Months?... really?
2. Is there any sort of status window to let me know of any sort of progress? and/or if the Drobo has given up and attempting any sort of repair?

thank you
Stephen
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-29-2016, 09:57 PM
RE: DroboPro FS - Internal Problem/Mount Failed
Day 2:
File System Maintenance in Progress
This may take from less than an hour to more than a day. Do not turn off the power of your Drobo device while repair is in progress.

*sigh*

Anyone ever had a positive result of this repair?

How long did it take?

Bonus question: if the Drobo is setup to send alerts, will the comatose Drobo ever 'speak' from the grave by sending me an email alert that it fixed itself, or that the prognosis is not so good? (I can send a test email manually from the Drobo Dashboard of the Drobo)
11-30-2016, 03:26 PM (This post was last modified: 11-30-2016 03:27 PM by Paul.)
hi stephen,
im afraid i have only got the das models myself, though for several processes, (such as optimising, or rebuilding) they usually tend to take about 1 day per 1TB of data that you have on your drobo.

while i usually tend to actually do give a fsck about lots of peoples issues, ive never actually done a fsck Smile but seeing as you have started that process, i really do think the best thing to do is to wait it out for as long as possible, planning for "at least" what the usual 1day per 1tb is, but possibly allowing that same duration for as many passes as fsck might usually do?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
12-03-2016, 05:23 PM
Hello Paul,

This DroboPro FS has 8 500 GB drives in it, for a total of 2.57 TB (two drives are configured for parity)

so rounding it up to 3 TB, maybe I'll get lucky and see it actually show some sort of message in the Dashboard in the near future,as it's been 6 Days since this DroboPR0 FS decided to go south.

I just wonder at what point do I throw the towel in, and try something else in attempt to recover the data.

I've read some other post that say to power the device down, remove all drives, insert a drive that was not a part of the initial failed array, power up, update the firmware, verify the DroboPro FS is functional, power down, swap the eight drives back in, power up, and pray that the array is seen again....

I can wait this out for the DroboPro FS to actually complete the "File System Maintenance in Progress", I just wish there was some sort of way to monitor that progress, or know that the Drobo is actually doing something, or if I'm wasting my time waiting for the inevitable.

Has anyone on this forum actually seen a DroboPro FS come out alive from this "File System Maintenance in Progress" ? (be it a positive or negative outcome?) When and if it does finish, what message did you see on the Drobo Dashboard?
12-05-2016, 04:19 PM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2016 04:19 PM by Paul.)
thanks for more info stephen,
im not sure which version is used on the drobo, though i think there are 5 passes for fsck. with this in mind, i would probably leave it for 14-15 days, just in case each pass also requires the (usual) amount.

hopefully some others with more experience of fsck on their drobos will be able to reply back with some more thoughts for you in the meantime though Smile

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
12-07-2016, 10:16 AM
(11-29-2016 09:57 PM)sjtsnix Wrote:  Day 2:
This may take from less than an hour to more than a day. Do not turn off the power of your Drobo device while repair is in progress.

*sigh*

How long did it take?

Bonus question: if the Drobo is setup to send alerts, will the comatose Drobo ever 'speak' from the grave by sending me an email alert that it fixed itself, or that the prognosis is not so good? (I can send a test email manually from the Drobo Dashboard of the Drobo)

I replaced a 3TB drive with a 4TB drive, and had the same problem - ran the repair, and it actually fixed the issue . . . . . . for about two weeks, but I am now back at "Mount Failed". I have removed all drives re-flashed the firmware, ran the repair again - no luck. I am dead in the water at this point. I have purchased a repair incident to see if they can resolve the issue - opened a ticket, and the ticket was forward to a higher level of support - two days ago - so far haven't heard from drobo support.

If I get this fixed, will let you know how . . . but I wouldn't hold your breath.
12-07-2016, 05:58 PM
thanks for your input here cnottingham, (sorry to hear you got a mount failed at the moment though its good to hear the fcsk did complete for you, and hopefully the support team can help you to reach a happy ending)

12-07-2016, 11:15 PM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2016 03:40 PM by sjtsnix.)
(12-07-2016 10:16 AM)cnottingham Wrote:  
(11-29-2016 09:57 PM)sjtsnix Wrote:  Day 2:

*sigh*

How long did it take?

I replaced a 3TB drive with a 4TB drive, and had the same problem - ran the repair, and it actually fixed the issue . . . . . . for about two weeks, but I am now back at "Mount Failed". I have removed all drives re-flashed the firmware, ran the repair again - no luck. I am dead in the water at this point. I have purchased a repair incident to see if they can resolve the issue - opened a ticket, and the ticket was forward to a higher level of support - two days ago - so far haven't heard from drobo support.

If I get this fixed, will let you know how . . . but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Hello cnottingham,

Thanks for the glimmer of hope that this DroboPro FS might actually have a positive outcome. Two weeks... , Good thing this is just being used at home as a backup device for Windows Media Center Recordings for the most part. I do have some data on it that was not backed up that I hope to get access to again.

I'll jump back in here with any new 'news' as I "hold my breath"

I just wish there was SOME sort of INDICATION that something was actually occuring on the Drobo itself and/or the Dashboard... The drobo going 'dark' and not giving ANY feedback of what is going on, is not a welcome feature.

One week of 'Apparent Activity' with the repair down, ... One more week of 'Apparent Activity' to go...

Stephen
12-08-2016, 03:53 PM
Question RE: DroboPro FS - Internal Problem/Mount Failed
While I wait for my DroboPro FS to finish its current job of trying to fix itself, I was wondering if I could do the following:

If I were to take the eight drives out of my DroboPro FS, and put them in a DroboPro, would that be of any use at attempting to access the data on them? (this is assuming the drives are good, and it's the DroboPro FS itself is the failed component)
12-09-2016, 07:35 AM
Just an update.. Day 11 of this adventure.

File System Maintenance in Progress still .... well... in Progress..., or so I hope it is.