Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
2 iMac on 2 thunderbolt cable DAS possible?
11-23-2016, 05:07 PM
2 iMac on 2 thunderbolt cable DAS possible?
Hi everyone, I will like to know if its possible to attach 2 iMAC to the Drobo 5D at the same time using the 2 thunderbolt ports.

Any ideas?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-23-2016, 06:25 PM
RE: 2 iMac on 2 thunderbolt cable DAS possible?
hi, im not sure if this is possible in that way,
though another way could be to try attaching it to just 1 of the imacs, but then to connect 1 imac to the other.
essentially having 1 imac be as the server with drobo directly attached to it, and then allowing the other imac to connect to the server and access a folder there?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
11-23-2016, 07:21 PM
(11-23-2016 06:25 PM)Paul Wrote:  hi, im not sure if this is possible in that way,
though another way could be to try attaching it to just 1 of the imacs, but then to connect 1 imac to the other.
essentially having 1 imac be as the server with drobo directly attached to it, and then allowing the other imac to connect to the server and access a folder there?

Hi and thanks for the reply, actually thats the way I have it, but im using it for vm's and on the iMAC that is DAS is superb, but the smb one is sluggish.

Its having a very big hit on performance from the server (iMac).
11-25-2016, 05:13 PM
thanks for the info,
maybe there is another type of connection method that can be used? (i usually only use das myself and in windows via usb) but i seem to remember reading about some users that either forced the connection to be afp or a different smb, or connecting via an ip address instead of a name... maybe trying an alternative way to connect could help?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)