Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Convert Drobo 5D to 5N
11-14-2016, 06:34 PM
Convert Drobo 5D to 5N
I have a Drobo 5D. Is there any way I can get this to more or less become a NAS like the Drobo 5N without repurchasing the 5N?

Zathrak

Drobo 5D | 64GB Crucial m4 SSD | 5 x 3TB Hitachi | Late 2012 iMac Intel Core i7 3.4Ghz, OS X Mountain Lion via Thunderbolt
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-16-2016, 03:29 PM (This post was last modified: 11-16-2016 03:30 PM by Paul.)
RE: Convert Drobo 5D to 5N
greets zathrak Smile

in theory, if you direct attach it to one of your computers which can essentially run as a server, and then connect to the drobo through it, that might be able to work. am not sure about multi-tasking with different users, but to simply access it to pull off a file to stream, or to paste files to it a bit like a network sure should be ok.

i dont have a mac, and some others users have managed to do some cool things with Nucs or raspbery pi's before, so may be able to advise you too.
btw how is the status life of your SSD going?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
11-16-2016, 03:49 PM
(11-16-2016 03:29 PM)Paul Wrote:  greets zathrak Smile

in theory, if you direct attach it to one of your computers which can essentially run as a server, and then connect to the drobo through it, that might be able to work. am not sure about multi-tasking with different users, but to simply access it to pull off a file to stream, or to paste files to it a bit like a network sure should be ok.

i dont have a mac, and some others users have managed to do some cool things with Nucs or raspbery pi's before, so may be able to advise you too.
btw how is the status life of your SSD going?

Nice to hear from you again, Paul! Glad to see you're still around! :-D

Right now, I've got it shared out via Mac Mini accessible over a Cat6 network. I was just wondering if any of the creative drobo folks found a way to make it happen without a host machine involved. I figured it's been awhile so I should ask.

SSD life lilllllllllllll. Actually, I find that it seems to "recycle" itself. It will go down to 1% and the next thing you know, it's back up to 99%. The only thing I can assume is that it performs some sort of trashing process when it reaches 1% and clears the data afterwards.

Zathrak

Drobo 5D | 64GB Crucial m4 SSD | 5 x 3TB Hitachi | Late 2012 iMac Intel Core i7 3.4Ghz, OS X Mountain Lion via Thunderbolt
11-16-2016, 05:06 PM (This post was last modified: 11-16-2016 05:07 PM by Paul.)
thanks you too Smile
ah thats interesting about the ssd, some other users recently were mentioning keeping an eye on it and replacing it when it got down low, but i think there was also a tool that could analyse how much data, or how many read and write operations took place, which could be worth a look on a removed card too.

a few interesting things have been taking place, such as 64TB volumes, and mergefs merging multiple smaller volumes into a larger one, (with some shenanigans at the moment, as mentioned here) http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php? and even more discussions on ways to use a nas as a das or vice versa, but it sounds like you've been doing some magic too with your 5D over ethernet Smile

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)