Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Would the Drobo 5C work fine with a USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 Adaptor?
11-14-2016, 11:32 AM
Would the Drobo 5C work fine with a USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 Adaptor?
I'd like to purchase the Drobo 5C due to its lower price, but I have a Mac Mini that has a Thunderbolt 2 port. I was thinking of buying Apple's USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 adaptor. Would bottleneck Thunderbolt 2 speed at all?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-16-2016, 04:46 PM
RE: Would the Drobo 5C work fine with a USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 Adaptor?
hi x8px, i dont know for sure,
usually adapters and converters or usb hubs, can add extra issues to things, (especially when trying to do some troubleshooting) but if your mac mini only has thunderbolt 2 ports, and if there are no known incompatibilities with such a Usb-c-thunderbolt-2, then if there is going to be any bottleneck with those, maybe imagine things running at the slower of the 2 (whichever is the slower speed of the 2 protocols).

if there is only a small speed decrease, it might still work just fine for whatever usage you want it for?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
04-04-2017, 09:34 AM
(11-14-2016 11:32 AM)x8px Wrote:  I'd like to purchase the Drobo 5C due to its lower price, but I have a Mac Mini that has a Thunderbolt 2 port. I was thinking of buying Apple's USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 adaptor. Would bottleneck Thunderbolt 2 speed at all?

Though Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C share the same connector, they are not the same. Your Mac Mini's TB2 port requires a TB1/2/3 device attached to it. Drobo's connector is USB-C only, ie - it's USB 3 only.
05-08-2017, 04:33 PM
(just linking related post)
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)