Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Apple Sierra and Drobo B800i FAIL
11-30-2016, 03:01 PM
RE: Apple Sierra and Drobo B800i FAIL
I found out today that the Attotech Initiator is only supported up to El Capitan. It does not support Sierra.

Since the Drobo Dashboard depends on the Attotech iSCSI Initiator, perhaps this is the basis on which some are having difficulty with Sierra.

As for my status, I am still working through issues with the B800i, though I am getting closer and closer to success. The B1200i is working with no problems.

I will post more, if the solution turns out to be relevant to this thread. If not, and I discover something new, I will post a new thread.

Take care,
Fred
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-30-2016, 03:20 PM (This post was last modified: 11-30-2016 03:21 PM by Paul.)
ah thanks for more info you've been busy trying things out videot Smile
its interesting that atto does not support sierra (that probably means that they either have not finished working on a sierra version, and do not "yet" support it, or perhaps sierra is not playing nice).

either way, if you do happen to upgrade into el capitan, please only do that with your drobos safely shutdown / off and unplugged, because there have been some known issues where the el capitan upgrade process affects some connected storage devices including drobo. for example as mentioned here:
https://myproducts.drobo.com/article/AA-01863

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
12-01-2016, 08:26 AM
(11-30-2016 03:01 PM)videot Wrote:  I found out today that the Attotech Initiator is only supported up to El Capitan. It does not support Sierra.

>> Sorry to hear you're having the iScsi / ATTO problem, BUT - you're wrong about ATTO only supporting El Cap. ATTO , unlike DROBO, has always been right there following major MacOS upgrades. Days following Sierra's release this Fall, ATTO had a FREE update to their iScsi initiator. No doubt it's a pain to install, but if you follow their 1, 2, 3 instructions, it works and becomes as transparent as it ever has been. IT IS UNFORTUNATE THAT DROBO does not make it clear that end users require the purchase and use of the ATTO drivers, but that's the way it's been for 2 or 3 years, since DROBO effectively abandoned its iSsci users. Bottom Line: iSsci DOES WORK ON SIERRA.

Since the Drobo Dashboard depends on the Attotech iSCSI Initiator, perhaps this is the basis on which some are having difficulty with Sierra.

As for my status, I am still working through issues with the B800i, though I am getting closer and closer to success. The B1200i is working with no problems.

I will post more, if the solution turns out to be relevant to this thread. If not, and I discover something new, I will post a new thread.

Take care,
Fred
12-05-2016, 03:15 PM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2016 03:17 PM by kylerhoderick.)
I have had a similar issue as videot, I have OS Sierra and have been unable to connect to my 800i. Today I was able to get ATTO working and make the drobo connect and mount through ATTO. But drobo dashboard still does not see the 800i. I have tried multiple versions of dashboard but none of them will let me see the 800i.

Is it bad to just bypass the dashboard and mount the volumes through ATTO? I would like to get dashboard working but I can live without it.

Thanks
12-05-2016, 03:58 PM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2016 04:01 PM by Paul.)
thanks for the update on info eanderson,

for kyler, im not sure about the mac, though for windows, i havent had any problems using the drobo without dashboard, (and have been able to use the usb-devices feature to safely remove device before), but i do try to use it if i can, so that i use dashboard to disconnect, but most especially if i know that the drobo is getting quite full, just to make sure that i dont overfill it by mistake. - the blue led lights are good in that regard, but once you get near 9 lights on the physical drobo, only dashboard can tell you the true space remaining.
generally speaking though, if dashboard works fine, then dashboard is best to be left on, especially if a computer is having programs using the drobo during the day or night etc, so that it can at least pop up an alert for you to see, or to send an email notification etc,

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)