Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Mac on Sierra not booting while connected to 5D (Thunderbolt)
10-20-2016, 03:01 PM
Mac on Sierra not booting while connected to 5D (Thunderbolt)
Strange new issue only discovered since updating to Sierra.

With the MacBook Pro connected to the 5D via Thunderbolt, if I restart the computer, it has trouble booting properly. At first it would get to the point of asking for my password, but the trackpad wouldn't work. The cursor would not move, then skip around, then not move. Subsequently it wouldn't even get to that point unless I unplugged the Thunderbolt cable—then it would fire right up.

Once it's into the start up process, if I plug the Drobo in again, the volumes mount fine in the Finder and everything seems copacetic.

As part of this investigation, I updated the Drobo software to the latest—2.8.3.

Any thoughts?

Anyone experiencing a similar issue?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-21-2016, 12:14 PM (This post was last modified: 10-24-2016 03:05 PM by Paul.)
RE: Mac on Sierra not booting while connected to 5D (Thunderbolt)
hi bryan, after your dashboard update to 2.8.3, am guessing that the issue is still there hence your post?

would you be able to try a few ideas below, just to see if it makes a difference at all when you get a chance:
- to try using a different firewire port (to see if it's the port)
- to try a different firewire cable (just in case it is the cable)
- to try a usb cable instead of firewire (just to see)
- to try the above, but ideally via a direct single cable connection (in case other hubs or adapters/chains were used)

these are just the basic checks, but it might be sierra-related, in which case:
- can i check if your 5D was connected and running, during the upgrade to sierra?
- after updating to dashboard 'v2.8.3', have both the drobo, and computer been rebooted since then?
- can i check what the maximum volume size is? (and also how long you have allowed in elapsed time, during one of those hanging bootups, to see it if does eventually boot up?)

- it might be a new sierra feature that does not like booting up or waking up with devices plugged in, for security reasons (like some windows computers), though are there any other devices, such as usb thumbdrives or similar, that you can try booting up with, (instead of the drobo being plugged in, to have a usb thumbdrive instead) just to see if that also seems to hold up the booting up routine of your mac? (if you do though, it might be worth making a quick backup of the usb stick beforehand, just to play safe).

- can i also check if these bootups, are full bootups of the computer, or are they resuming a sleeping/hibernated computer?
& can you remember what steps were done with regards to ending the previous session of computer and drobo? (for example, was the drobo put into standby mode via dashboard, prior to shutting or sleeping the mac?)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
10-23-2016, 11:30 PM
If you boot your Mac while holding the 'option' key, what boot devices are listed?

Do you get the same symptoms if you manually select the boot volume?

Reset PRAM lately?

i7 Mac Mini Server, 10.10
Drobo (Gen2), USB, 4x WD 4TB RED

Drobo (Gen3), USB3, 4X WD 4TB RED

Drobo 5D, TB, 5x WD 4TB RED, 120GB Intel 525 mSATA SSD
10-31-2016, 02:04 PM
Sad RE: Mac on Sierra not booting while connected to 5D (Thunderbolt)
My boot-up situation seems to be resolved. Thank you for the detailed and thoughtful replies to my problem. I really appreciate the support.

While working my way through the checklist of suggested tests to conduct and solutions to try, the macOS 10.12.1 (Sierra) update was released, and that seems to have fixed my problem. I don't know if it was causative or coincidental, but things seem to be running as they should in the days following that update.

I waited to report back until I'd given the problem a chance to reappear. And so far my system remains solid.

Thanks again.
10-31-2016, 09:11 PM
cool bryan, am glad your problems are fixed and things are ok again,
and thanks mgriffin Smile

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)