Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Slow USB3 speeds on Windows. What is normal read/write with 5D?
10-09-2016, 09:28 AM (This post was last modified: 10-09-2016 09:37 AM by slavetothesound.)
Slow USB3 speeds on Windows. What is normal read/write with 5D?
We have a new 5D setup with 5x4TB Seagate NAS drives, configured with 1 parity drive, connected to a Windows 7 USB3 port.

I made a test transfer of 12GB large video files from a mac before I formatted it to NTFS. The transfer took less than a minute ( >200MB/s)

Immediately after formatting and connecting to windows 7 PC, I transferred the same files and can't get more than 130MB/s, but usually less than that. Is this a problem of drivers/Windows support not being as good? I had originally planned to use Thunderbolt before realizing that wasn't possible on windows, so I am pretty disappointed with these speeds.

The same files transferred to a 2.5" external USB3 drive reaches 160MB/s, which seems absurd.

I am now looking at either an RMA for the motherboard (Asus X99-A 3.1), or adding a quality USB3 expansion card in case that motherboard just has a weak USB chipset, but it seems like the Drobo should not be slower than a 2.5" hard drive.

What should I do to get the best possible performance from this expensive appliance?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2016, 02:09 PM (This post was last modified: 10-10-2016 02:11 PM by Paul.)
RE: Slow USB3 speeds on Windows. What is normal read/write with 5D?
hi, when you get a moment, do you have any more info about where the 12GB of files were, and where they were copied to?

if your 5d is newly setup, and empty, you might get a performanace boost by only having 2 drives inside at the start (if you wanted single SDR redundancy/parity), and then to add a 3rd, and a 4th drive when necessary, such as when reaching the first yellow bay light. (i did something similar on my gen1 and gen2 drobos which could only have sdr on them)

when creating/modifying files on the drobo (or deleting), there can be some internal optimisations that take place shortly after, such as shuffling data around or reclaiming space blocks, which can slow things a little, but then trying a test again after things have settled can improve things too. (if you were just copying something to it for the first time, after the drobo was setup and empty, it may not directly apply, but is worth bearing in mind)

im not sure if the drobo does some background setup (as part of its formatting) after a relatively quick format when it is setup, but maybe you could try the test again to see how things go?)

btw heres something for you in the meantime....

"round and round with the music unbound be a slave to the sound its as sound as a pound" - sorry i couldnt resist Smile
(also try saying that after a few drinks in quick succession) Big Grin

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
10-11-2016, 05:22 PM
The 12GB of video files were copied form the boot drive of the test devices (SSD in both cases) to the root of the Drobo.

I think we need to find another Windows machine to test with, then maybe RMA the motherboard and perhaps looks into boards or expansion cards with higher quality chipsets.
10-12-2016, 01:07 PM
thanks for the info,
do you have any more information about the seagates that you could post, such as model number, or rpm etc?

there was another thread here about some user's 5D speeds...
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php

(btw is there a particular expectated speed that you had in mind when you mentioned that it was slow?)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)