Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drobo G3 does NOT mounting
10-28-2016, 12:29 PM (This post was last modified: 10-28-2016 12:49 PM by daven007.)
RE: Drobo G3 does NOT mounting
I have the 4-bay Firewire 800 Drobo, and it seemed to be fine immediately after installing Sierra last night. This morning it is not showing up on my desktop. Disk Warrior sees it and reports "Directory cannot be rebuilt due to a hardware disk failure"

Disk Utility won't work. It goes into an endless startup loop.

All my lights are green on the Drobo.

Dashboard is OLD...because my fear has been that new version would not work.

FireWire Bus on my Mac Mini see and correctly identifies that the Drobo is there, and when the Mac is shut down/restarted, the Drobo responds in kind.

Can I move these 4 drives into a new 5Dt and have it boot up intact?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-28-2016, 04:45 PM
hi daven, can i check if it is disk utility that goes into an endless loop, or is it the actual drobo?

(if it is the drobo, you might he able to try accessing things with a bit more stablility, but putting the drobo into readonly mode, for example as mentioned here, to at least be able to hopefully copy data)
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?

if the drobo is actually running ok, and all lights are green, then it looks like there is an upgrade path from a drobo gen3 into a drobo 5Dt via the migration process, for example as mentioned here:
http://www.drobo.com/resource-center/migration/

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
01-04-2017, 10:52 AM
I just starting having this problem.

Before only had a 500GB + 4TB drives in my 4 bay GEN3 Drobo, connected by USB3.0 cable that came with my Drobo.

After I added another 4TB drive for a total of 3 drives in my 4 bay GEN3 Drobo. Started out great. Drive was added successfully and finder had no issues finding the new storage or the Drobo.

As of late (probably for the last 2 weeks) I have been getting constant dissconnects from my Mac Mini. I have to use Disk Warrior 3+ times a week in order to get my data back. Sometimes there is data loss too, which makes me soooo nervous.

There has to be something that has changed or needs to change to prevent this from happening.

Drobo -- Please help!
01-04-2017, 07:33 PM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2017 07:34 PM by Paul.)
hi jerameybeck,
are you able to see if all lights on the 3 drive bays, are still showing a solid green light (on the main unit as well as in dashboard?)

can you also see any additional info for the drives if you click on a bay in dashboard, to bring up additional drive info, such as a Healed or Warning message? (it could be that a drive is having intermittent problems)

it might also be worth trying a different cable, and / or port, just in case something had a problem there too.

it may be due to the recent addition, though can i also check if there are any particular programs you have started using recently, that are using the drobo, such as spotify or something else, and also how you usually shut things down when ending the day for example?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)