Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drobo G3 does NOT mounting
10-06-2016, 08:23 PM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2016 08:24 PM by ahazeghi.)
Drobo G3 does NOT mounting
Hi,
I have a drobo Gen3 with four healthy drives, powers up and boots OK, dashboard shows healthy status.

but it doesn't mount on my Mac OS sierra

support is clueless asking me to "reboot" my machine.

What can I do to mount this thing and get my data out of it.

it is really frustrating.

thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-07-2016, 05:32 PM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2016 05:33 PM by Paul.)
RE: Drobo G3 does NOT mounting
hi if you get a moment, can i check how things were before when you were able to use your drobo and access data?
for example, were you using something else, and then only lost access to the drobo when sierra came into effect?
(and if so, can i check if your drobo had been plugged in and in use, during an upgrade into sierra?)

i dont actually have a mac but any more info you have might be helpful in general or for others too who might have fixed something similar

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
10-07-2016, 09:04 PM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2016 09:04 PM by ahazeghi.)
nothing special happened between now and when it was working, it suddenly stopped mounting. It did work after upgrade to Sierra as well. As far as I remember it wasn't on during the upgrade. I only turn it on when I need to use it
10-10-2016, 01:34 PM
ah ok, thanks for the info,
as your gen3 is a das model, it might be worth checking it with mac drive maintenance programs, like disk utility or diskwarrior, as that has been known to fix a lot of issues for mac users too.

if you get a chance to try some of those, does it work again for you?

btw cana you remember how many blue led lights are lit up at the bottom (or how much used and free space you had on it, in TB and in % if you had the info in dashboard recently before)?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
10-17-2016, 08:16 PM
I'm experiencing the same issue. I had reset my drobo and finished moving data to it. I was able to work with it for a day, but the next day it stopped mounting on my desktop. It shows as healthy in the Dashboard, and I can see it in disk utility but am unable to mount drive.
10-18-2016, 09:27 PM
Essentially the same thing just occurred to me last night.

I'm using a 3rd Gen 4-bay Drobo connected to my iMac via USB. I have been running macOS Sierra ever since it was available from Apple. Everything had been running fine with my Drobo until yesterday. I realized my Drobo wasn't showing in my Finder. Here's what happened:

I thought I would run Drobo Dashboard to check on my unit. Everything checked out. Drobo Dashboard showed the unit was running fine and its health was "Good".

All of the various display lights on the Drobo unit were lit to (the green and blue status lights) indicate the unit was fine.

Then I checked to see if I'm running the latest version of Drobo Dashboard as well as the firmware. I realized there has been a new version of both that has been released. I decided to install/update both in case this was causing my Drobo not to be accessible via Finder.

I updated both the Drobo Dashboard and Drobo firmware, rebooted the computer, and the Drobo unit was still not seen in Finder...

Once again, Drobo Dashboard shows everything is fine. The status lights in front of the Drobo shows it's fine. But the unit won't mount in Finder. I run Disk Utility. In the Disk Utility window, on the left sidebar, it shows a "Drobo Gen3 Media" in black and then indented but in gray, "Drobo". When I do a Disk Utility "First Aid" on "Drobo", it says "First Aid process has failed". The following lines are also displayed in the dialog box: Repairing files system. File system check exit code is 8. Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required. File system verify or repair failed. Operation failed..."

Any idea what is going on? And what else I can try next?

Thanks for any suggestion.
10-19-2016, 03:11 PM (This post was last modified: 10-19-2016 03:15 PM by Paul.)
hi ertein and kencheung, do you any of you happen to also have diskwarrior at all?
(it might be worth trying that if you do, as it has been known to fix a lot of mac issues for others)

in case not, would you be able to try using dashboard to safely shut it down,
and then to shutdown the computer
and to then unplug all connection cables from the drobo
and to wait about 5-10minutes
and then to power up the computer and dashboard
and then to try connecting the drobo directly to the computer and powering it up
(after it boots up fresh, with blue led lights from 1 through to 10, does dashboard see the drobo as healthy again, an can the computer now find/mount it?)

in case the drobo seems to take longer to reach the 10th blue light, please allow it extra time here)
(just also linking to your other post kencheung)
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=145

10-22-2016, 06:47 AM
Bug RE: Drobo G3 does NOT mounting
I'm still looking for a solution to this problem. I contacted Drobo Support and they sent me a nice email saying my drobo is currently out of support and I should try these user forums. I found a few discussions with the same issue but I wanted to add my story to the mix:

I have a 2nd Gen Drobo attached with FW800 and a newer Drobo 5D and both were working properly until about a week ago. I use the Drobo 5D as my main storage and the 2nd Gen attached to a mac server as my backup location. The main computer with the 5D has been updated to Mac OS Sierra and continues to work properly.

I did not upgrade my mac server and it is still running El Cap. Last week I noticed my Time Machine and Chronosync backups were not running and went down to check the server. The Drobo showed all green drive lights and the blue capacity lights were about where they alywas are (7 lights on or 70%full) but the drive was no longer showing on my desktop and I could no longer find it in the finder.

I tried all the basic steps (on/off) (change the startup sequence) (Power Down, remove all cables, Sit for 10 min, boot computer then drobo dashboard then attach drobo)... In each case I could successfully get the drobo to boot up and I can see it in the Drobo Dashboard indicating all systems are working and the Drobo is healthy with sufficient capacity - BUT it won't show up in the finder.

I'm at a loss here because I'm currently running without a backup. The 2nd Gen Drobo should be working, the Drobo Dashboard can see the drive and reports all systems are operating properly but I can't access the files on the drive.

Clearly something changed and it is impacting a lot of customers still using their 2nd and 3rd gen drobos - I don't know if anyone from the company reads these forums, but we need some help with this issue.
10-23-2016, 02:26 PM
Quick follow up to my post (above) - I was able to get the drobo up and running again by resetting the drobo and formatting the drives, but that means I deleted all of the data on my drobo. It was not the route I wanted to take, but I was fortunate in that this particular drobo was only used as my backup storage location. While it stinks that I need to rebuild my backup, I can do that in a few days and the drobo is working. If it fails again, I will look into alternate drive systems to use for my backups.
10-24-2016, 03:40 PM
hi jgerard, while its good that you were able to get things running again, it is a shame to hear that you had to do it that particular way... you may have needed to get things up ang running again (and if it only was a backup location it is understandable), though if it happens again, would you be able to try some maintenance utilties first, (just in case you were not able to try those) such as disk utility, or diskwarrior? (that has been known to fix a lot of issues for macs)