Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
5D not mounting after Sierra update
10-06-2016, 09:05 AM
5D not mounting after Sierra update
My 5D was working just fine until now when I updated the Mac OS to Sierra.

Blue light, green lights
Firmware: 3.5.0 [7.171.80644]
Dashboard Software: 2.8.3

Drive appears in Disk Utility, does not mount.

I have done manual updating of software and firmware, restarted Drobo, unplugged and re-plugged, etc. still nothing.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-06-2016, 01:39 PM
RE: 5D not mounting after Sierra update
I think this turns out to be a major issue for a lot of users now, as a lot of threads reporting this strange behavior.
This needs urgent attention from Drobo.
10-07-2016, 06:00 PM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2016 06:00 PM by Paul.)
hi balticfleet,
do you have another usb cable that you could try, such as a usb2 cable?

i saw recently on another post that it could be something to do with the usb drivers that are used in sierra.

btw can i check if the drobo was running and in use before (and during) the actual upgrade into sierra?
(that caused some known issues with elcapitan, and while i havent seen the same warning about sierra, am just wondering too)
(also just linking yadrummers related post for reference)
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
10-11-2016, 07:36 PM (This post was last modified: 10-11-2016 08:26 PM by mjwright71.)
Mine is Thunderbolt connection and I am having a similar problem. It shows in the system report, but not in disk utility and does not mount. I made sure dashboard was on the latest version and firmware was latest before updating.

Quick update..I switched over to USB3 and it seems fine so the problem appears to be in Thunderbolt.
10-12-2016, 01:21 PM
thanks for the usb good result info, another user recently noticed the same thing here so it might be thunderbolt related:
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
10-12-2016, 11:27 PM (This post was last modified: 10-13-2016 12:03 AM by agarcia.)
I struggled for four hours with this issue. After I switched to the USB 3.0 cable, my Drobo 5D showed up on my desktop, but I could not write to it. All the permissions form the info box in the finder looked fine. I opened Disk Utility to run a repair and it indicated that ownership was blocked. But that permissions repair process failed because it could not unmount the disk. From the Finder, I could not unmount the Drobo either. It said that an application was using the Drobo. I force quit all the applications, but it still would not unmount. I spent hours with Apple Support, as I'm using on an iMac, trying different things. What finally resolved the issue appeared to be going to User preferences in the Finder and deleting the DD Assist as a startup application. The Dashboard was never able to recognize the Drobo. It still hasn't.So I suspect there was a behind-the-scenes hang-up at startup and a permissions issue caused by the Drobo Dashboard app. I removed DD Assist and restarted the computer, ran Disk Utility's First Aid to repair the Drobo. "Owners" were "enabled" again and everything went back to normal. But I miss the Thunderbolt, because I edit video from the Drobo and the USB 3.0 is now dropping frames on playback. Highly annoying. I hope Drobo will fix the Thunderbolt issue, and the Dashboard app non-function as well. Just to doublecheck, I launched the Drobo Dashboard again and wiihtout warning the Drobo unmounted with no warning and the app was put back into the login item list again. I had to go through everything again. Ridiculous.I do not plan to launch the Drobo Dashboard again, until I see that Drobo does an update that fixes the issue.
10-13-2016, 02:25 PM
Just an update to help anyone seeing or following this thread. I continued to have problems of the Drobo 5D sporadically unmounting, and not being to write to the disk. In talking to Drobo support, I was informed that your version of the Drobo Dashboard might say that you are up-to-date, but you may not be. Older versions of the Dashboard app at some point stopped indicating that there were indeed updates to the app because they contractual relationships ended or something like that. Crazy but whatever. You have to go to this site, http://www.drobo.com/docs/, and choose your Drobo to find the most current version. For Macs, the most recent version is 2.8.3. You will also have to update the firmware of the drive as well. I had to use another laptop to check the firmware because the Dashboard app was not recognizing the drive. Once all got updated, the icon representing the Drobo appeared on my desktop (a function of the updated app) and I was able to use Thunderbolt again. Hope this helps.
10-14-2016, 01:26 PM
thansk for your interesting posts agarcia, and details about how things got fixed again. hopefully that can also help some of the others too.

btw - i just have to ask... is your first name andy by any chance? Big Grin

10-18-2016, 02:21 PM
(10-14-2016 01:26 PM)Paul Wrote:  thansk for your interesting posts agarcia, and details about how things got fixed again. hopefully that can also help some of the others too.

btw - i just have to ask... is your first name andy by any chance? Big Grin

My Dashboard was only on 2.6.3 and the dashboard was saying no updates available. I followed the other posters suggestion and upgrade to 2.8.3 manually and this fixed my problem. I was able to switch back to Thunderbolt from USB3 and everything is fine now.

Matt
10-18-2016, 07:04 PM (This post was last modified: 10-18-2016 08:03 PM by aaronpridmore.)
I'm having the same issue with my Mac. I have Drobo dashboard 2.8.3 and I've switched between USB 3 and Thunderbolt and no change. I can see the drive in the dashboard app but it's not mounting in finder.
Just fixed the issue. Called Drobo support and because the Dashboard was seeing the drives it was file corruption. Tried First Aid and that didn't work so I purchased Disc Warrior and selected Rebuild and fix within seconds