Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drobo rebuild functionality
10-01-2016, 03:37 PM
Drobo rebuild functionality
Hello,

Currently it's impossible to force a Drobo to rebuild the raid. We're all the mercy of... I have absolutely no idea.

PLEASE can you add a button which checks if the raid can be re-built, and display some kind of debug message if it's not able to action the rebuild. Whenever I remove a drive, and want the Drobo to rebuild, it doesn't and I'm currently stuck with my Drobo unprotected. I do not want to put another hard drive into the device, I want it to re-build with the current hard drives.

Thanks,
Elliot
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2016, 12:59 PM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2016 01:02 PM by Paul.)
RE: Drobo rebuild functionality
thanks for posting this feedback suggestion for additional information and status info
(just linking related post too)
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?

maybe a future feature of the drobo main unit, could be to have those pinball dot matrix lights that can simply spell out any letter and therefor any words and information can simply scroll by the front of the unit for the user, or at least if dashboard is running, some additional information could be shown, about any important work that the drobo is doing beind the scenes, such as if a drive fails, and it rebuild, or rebuilds across new drives, or if absorbing a new drive into a pack etc)

even if it is a simple message saying that the drobo will be optimising the layour of data onto the new drive over the next day or so, and that the user does not have to do anything, could still be useful, so that at least if someone was aware of what the drobo was needing to be doing (and actually doing) and could plan how long to keep the drobo running, if they wanted to let it complete its more necessary task, rather than using it normally (which may just be for an hour here or there) when it could be in their better interest to let if do its thing in one go for longer, even if it would just carry on continuing to do it behind the scenes, since it could only do that while on Smile

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply