Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drobo 5D with Logic Pro X - System Overload Alerts
10-01-2016, 01:40 PM
Drobo 5D with Logic Pro X - System Overload Alerts
See my system specs below...

I quite like my Drobo for the most part. However, I cannot work in Logic Pro without getting the standard Logic system overload message "The Audio Engine was not able to process all required data in time."
Logic provides CPU and Hard Disk meters to monitor performance. The Disk I/O meter pegs to the top when the above message displays. The overload occurs regularly and in any configuration of audio files playing from only 1 file to 32 files. Furthermore, performance is equal (or equally bad) with 32 files playing back as it is with one file playing back. That is to say, I get the same amount of overload errors. That seems to indicate that it is not necessarily a streaming or throughput speed issue, but a drive seek time issue.

I have tested the same project running from the Drobo, and from the system drive, various external spinning drives and SSD drives. The only one that gives me trouble is the Drobo. The projects run just fine from everything else. SO, it slows down my workflow to have to copy the project to my SSD external drive and then synchronize it back onto my Drobo.

Installing the mSATA accelerator card did not provide any noticeable improvement.

Is there any way to troubleshoot this and improve the Drobo performance in this regard?

Thanks,
Tim
------
My System Specs:
Drobo 5D
-WD WD5001FZWX-0 5TB
-WD WD5001FZWX-0 5TB
-Seagate ST3000VN000-1HJ 3TB
-mSATA Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB (MZ-M5E500BW)

Mac Pro
-MD878LL/A
-SATA system drive
-16GB RAM
-Dual AMD FirePro D500s - 3072 MB VRAM each

Logic Pro 10.2.4
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2016, 02:21 PM
RE: Drobo 5D with Logic Pro X - System Overload Alerts
hi threetone,

can i check what connection method you are using for your drobo 5d?
am not sure if you are using firewire, usb, or daisy chaining, or hubs, though maybe you could try a few tests when you have a moment, such as the following? :

- to try using a different port to the one you are using (for example on the computer side)
- to try using a different firewire port (on the computer side)
- to try using a different firewire port (on the drobo)
- to try using a direct connection between drobo and computer (just in case you were using any daisy chaining, or converters/hubs etc

- also, it might worth trying to use your setup as you do, but a few more times, (and also to try a full shutdown of the drobo and computer, as well as a restart, and to try again, as i think the msata starts to improve things over time too)

- can i check if you are using the drobo already, shortly before you use your music program, or is the drobo just waking up and being used when you get those messages?

(btw its also cool that you are making music and tunes) Smile

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply