Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
5D Thunderbolt Ports
10-01-2016, 11:31 AM
5D Thunderbolt Ports
How are the thunderbolt ports on the back of the 5D supposed to be used? I have an external HDD (LaCie ruggedized 1TB) that I need to access, but the only ports I have available with either an SS USB or Thunderbolt port is the 5D. I plugged it in to both ports, but it doesn't open up in my "devices" pane.

Is it possible to access that drive via the 5D ports?

Thanks,
Jerry
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2016, 01:58 PM
RE: 5D Thunderbolt Ports
hi, on this page at the bottom:
http://www.drobo.com/storage-products/5D/

it mentions this:
"2 x Thunderbolt ports; second port for daisy chaining Thunderbolt devices (Mac OS X only)"

can i check when you mention that you tried plugging your lacie into poth ports, was that into the usb port on the drobo, and a thunderbolt port on the drobo? if so, then i think you can only connect a computer to the drobo via the drobos usb port, and not an actual different device to go through the drobos usb back through to the computer.

can i check what happens if you try connecting the lacie directly to the computer, without a drobo attached to the computer? (does it work now?)

if not, is it possible that maybe the lacie needs some drivers to be able to work first?
(did the lacie ever work before on the same computer?)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
10-03-2016, 07:12 PM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2016 07:14 PM by hexclimbe.)
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your help. My answers to your questions are embedded in your quoted response (below).

Best,
Jerry

(10-03-2016 01:58 PM)Paul Wrote:  hi, on this page at the bottom:
http://www.drobo.com/storage-products/5D/

it mentions this:
"2 x Thunderbolt ports; second port for daisy chaining Thunderbolt devices (Mac OS X only)"

can i check when you mention that you tried plugging your lacie into poth ports, was that into the usb port on the drobo, and a thunderbolt port on the drobo?

I only plugged the lacie into the other TB port, not the SS USB port. I don't have the proper cable for that: the lacie has a USB 3.0 Micro-B 10 pin female port and the Drobo has a USB Type B female port...

if so, then i think you can only connect a computer to the drobo via the drobos usb port, and not an actual different device to go through the drobos usb back through to the computer.

can i check what happens if you try connecting the lacie directly to the computer, without a drobo attached to the computer? (does it work now?)

The lacie works when connected directly to the USB port on the back of the computer (Mac Mini late 2012).

if not, is it possible that maybe the lacie needs some drivers to be able to work first?
(did the lacie ever work before on the same computer?)

I never hooked the lacie up to the Drobo before, but I have connected it directly to the mini, and it worked (same as now - I just cabled it to the mini, and it is mounting properly)
10-05-2016, 08:02 AM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2016 08:06 AM by Zbig.)
What ports does your Lacie drive have? It it's USB only, then there's no way to connect it through your Drobo. The only scenario possible with the Drobo in the middle of the chain would be Drobo connected to the PC via Thunderbolt and another Thunderbolt device connected to the Drobo's remaining Thunderbolt port.
10-05-2016, 08:38 AM
Hi Zbig. The Lacie has a USB 3.0 and a Thunderbolt port. Connecting via TB didn't work (drive didn't power on, and it didn't mount). I'm wondering if I have a bad port.

Thanks,
Jerry
10-05-2016, 11:55 AM
thanks for the infos jerry (and clarifications zbig for thunderbolt connections)

maybe something is indeed wrong if the lacie still can not work anywhere with a direct thunderbolt connection to the computer (but the fact that it is still working fine when connecting via thunderbolt through the drobo-mini, makes it more interesting) Smile

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)