Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
5D - one drive not showing in Mac
09-30-2016, 10:58 AM (This post was last modified: 09-30-2016 10:59 AM by angybanez.)
5D - one drive not showing in Mac
hi everyone. I've updated my 5D Drobo's firmware and software and the Drobo still is not showing one of the drives on my Mac. It was fine a few days ago. I have 5 5TB drives, and four used to storage or backup. I named each drive with a volume name CrisDrobo, Crisdrobo2, CrisDrobo3, Crisdrobo4 and each would show up as separate drives on my Mac. As of yesterday and today, The first drive is NOT showing on my Mac, but the Drobo does see it in the Dashboard. However, it doesn't say how many TB is being used and instead of being named CrisDrobo, it just say Drobo. It does know that it was 4TB max capacity. I've restarted the Drobo many times after updating the firmware, etc, but it's still not showing up. I had hundreds of GB left on the drive, and I did transfer a bunch of files overnight, but I don't think that would've taken up a lot of space. According to the Drobo it's "healthy and has sufficient capacity. No actio his required at this time. You can add capacity by replacing an existing drive with a drive of larger capacity."

Another issue is that the Drobo keeps on ejecting from my Mac. When I restart my computer it comes back on, but after a few hours the Drobo ejects itself.

Any help would be appreciated.

What am I missing? I have 3 years of RAW Photos (backed up on another drive) but I have other personal files on that drive that was added.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-30-2016, 11:29 AM
RE: 5D - one drive not showing in Mac
hi angy, can you sense any activity on the drobo taking place?
(it may be that the newer firmware is still optimising things internally, and in some cases maybe that is causing the computer to loose connection with the drobo until it finishes)

is there a pattern of uptime, before the drobo ejects again, such as after 1 hour of uptime for example, each time it happens?

if the dashboard can see the drobo, what happens if you shutdown the computer?
(does the drobo go into standby mode, or does it remain on for longer?)

if it stays on for longer, can you try and leave it this way for a few hours or even overnight to see what happens? it may finish its task and then go into standby mode, and then hopefully when you power up the computer it will be ok again?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
09-30-2016, 11:33 AM (This post was last modified: 09-30-2016 11:49 AM by angybanez.)
I can copy files to the 2nd and 3rd and 4th drives fine without a problem. This all started even before I updated the new firmware. I thought updating would help, but it didn't. I'm not sure how long it takes for th Drobo to eject itself. I'm never home. Once I come home I see all three (used to be 4) gets ejected and the drobo dashboard doesn't see any drobo hooked up.
also, Disk Utility cannot repair the disk. It tells me to backup the disk, format the disk, then restore from the backup, BUT I can't even see the disk to be able to backup anything.
10-03-2016, 01:51 PM
thanks for the info angy,

one thing you could try which has been able to help stabalise some systems a bit, could be to try putting your drobo into Read Only mode, for example as mentioned here at the bottom:
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?

if you try that mode, does it now let you access your files again, to at least be able start copying them somewhere as a backup angy?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
10-05-2016, 06:13 AM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2016 06:33 AM by Zbig.)
That's not how Drobo works. You have never been able to access the individual drives in your Drobo. You just arbitrarily picked the volume size of 5TB which just happens to be more or less equal to the size of your single drive. That doesn't make much sense and your virtual volume sizes are meaningless - there's no one-to-one mapping and there never was. Your Drobo created one large pool of data that you needlessly carved up into 5TB-sized virtual volumes. Drobo will just keep adding additional 5TB-sized volumes as you add physical drives. It takes about the size of your single largest drive to establish redundancy so your usable space is about 20TB. 20TB divided by your arbitrarily picked volume size of 5TB is 4 and that's why there's no need for Drobo to create the fifth volume for you just yet.

It's rather pointless and defies the very idea of thin provisioning. What you should have done at the beginning instead, was not to mess with the defaults and leave the default thin-provisioned volume size (I don't know whether it's 16 or 64TB for 5D nowadays). I recommend you ditch the 5TB-sized virtual volumes and start over from scratch. Be aware that's a destructive process and will wipe all your data, though.