Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Using Drobo 5D on a Network
09-29-2016, 02:32 PM
Using Drobo 5D on a Network
I have a Drobo 5D attached to an (Apple) Airport Extreme Base Station (Router) so that the Drobo acts as network storage. When I open Drobo Dashboard, it does not see the Drobo (I assume it is because it is not directly attached to the MacBook USB port), and if I want to check the status of the Drobo, I have to take it off the network and manually plug it in to the Mac.

There is an option in Dashboard to locate the Drobo by IP address but I have tried that and it doesn't seem to work. (I am using the IP address of the Airport Extreme because the drive would take that address as its own).

It is also difficult to back-up the data on the Drobo since the software I use (SuperDuper!) does not see "network" drives. I currently back it up using FreeFileSync to update the backup drive with the updated Drobo content.

Is there any way to better manage the Drobo 5D while it is being used as a Network drive? I know there is now a Drobo 5N but I am not in a position to replace the 5D at this point.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions.

Regards,

David
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-30-2016, 01:06 AM
RE: Using Drobo 5D on a Network
No, the option to locate a drobo by IP is only for the networked drobos.

your only other option is to connect the drobo to a server/always on PC/Mac of some kind

My Avatar is my Panther Chameleon named 'Leon.

I have a owned a Drobo v1, v2, DroboPro, Drobo 5D, DroboFS, Drobo 5N and DroboPro FS

I currently have a Windows 2016 Server with 8 x 8TB Seagate Archive Drives, 14 x 8TB WD Red and 3 x 8TB WD Gold
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply