Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
5D Power failure is likely a bad motherboard
09-23-2016, 09:47 PM
Sad 5D Power failure is likely a bad motherboard
Hi

Is there anyone else with a 5D that is just out of warranty (2 year's old) with a power failure and got it fixed? The drobo support tels me it is likely a bad motherboard on the main chassis.

Any recommendation how to get it fixed?

Not keen replacing with 5D/5Dt because for me this product is only worth spending 1,000$ plus if it would last much and much longer; in my case, the 5D did last two years which is much too short. I am hoping for a repair.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-25-2016, 09:10 PM
RE: 5D Power failure is likely a bad motherboard
Submit a support report detailing what is going on with your 5D. I just did this when my 2 year old 5D would not power on and basically I was told by Support that I need to ship them my dead 5D (empty, with no disks or m-sata SSD) and they would ship me a working 5D.

BTW, I am curious to know how long 5Ds are lasting as I have seen several reports of 5Ds dying after a year or two. Certainly this has happened to me so I would love to know the mean time between failure for these units.
09-26-2016, 06:06 AM
(09-25-2016 09:10 PM)wfiveash Wrote:  Submit a support report detailing what is going on with your 5D. I just did this when my 2 year old 5D would not power on and basically I was told by Support that I need to ship them my dead 5D (empty, with no disks or m-sata SSD) and they would ship me a working 5D.

Thanks for the reply. I have submitted a service report, now wait for a reply. I will let you know.
09-30-2016, 12:39 PM
I just had a power failure on my 5D two weeks ago. Turns out it was the power supply. Got a new one overnight from the Drobo store on Amazon.

i7 Mac Mini Server, 10.10
Drobo (Gen2), USB, 4x WD 4TB RED

Drobo (Gen3), USB3, 4X WD 4TB RED

Drobo 5D, TB, 5x WD 4TB RED, 120GB Intel 525 mSATA SSD
10-25-2016, 10:39 AM
(09-26-2016 06:06 AM)svissers Wrote:  
(09-25-2016 09:10 PM)wfiveash Wrote:  Submit a support report detailing what is going on with your 5D. I just did this when my 2 year old 5D would not power on and basically I was told by Support that I need to ship them my dead 5D (empty, with no disks or m-sata SSD) and they would ship me a working 5D.

Thanks for the reply. I have submitted a service report, now wait for a reply. I will let you know.

Any update? having the same problem...wondering what they did for you.
10-26-2016, 12:28 PM
btw svissers, you might have seen this already, but is seems that for about 899 you can get a new 5Dturbo and also with 3 years drobocare here: http://www.drobostore.com/collections/frontpage
and there is a migration process path from your 5D to a 5Dt here:
http://www.drobo.com/resource-center/migration/

for jtrefet, did support do some diagnosis with you to also determine that it was the motherboard? if not, then it might be worth trying to see if you can get another power supply / psu, or to possibly try to borrow one from a local shop if they have one available to try before buying, or from a friend, just in case it is just the psu?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)