Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
moving disk pack from old 5N to new 5N
09-21-2016, 03:20 PM
moving disk pack from old 5N to new 5N
Hi - I've got a 2-3yr old 5N running 3.5.11 with 128G mSATA that was full of 3T WD reds that I've been adding 5T WD reds to for about 6 months. Currently has ~11.5T of music and pictures on it, .flac and raw files mostly, there's no way to back it up - it is the backup. When I added the 3rd one last week, started at the top now at the middle bay. 5N didn't detect the drive, had 2 5Ts and same thing with #2 and when I put the original 3T back in still RED LED. So I disassembled the unit and managed to get a good connection in bay #2 (0-4 right?) and ~15hrs later added a 5T to bay 3, same RED LED, still open so I got it working too.
Now I'm getting paranoid about reliability and my [2-3yrs older] FS is so slow it's pretty much useless, even as archive only it's painful to get data on and off, always was though, my wife can probably type faster than it can read/write - she's a very fast typist, besides it's doesn't have enough free space to enter in to the equation, anyways back to topic...
So I bought a new 5N with 256G mSATA, I stuck a few old drives in it, set the password, static IP, shared it on my Windoze network, all seems to be working pretty groovy. Now I'd like to move the old 5N disk pack to to it. Piece of cake right? update all firmware and dashboard, power down, move drives - maintaining the order, power up, go read a comic book and it's done - wallah - no data loss, remember, it is the backup, most of the original files are unavailable.

Please if anyone has any details I should follow to prevent data loss PLEASE speak up. For instance should I reset the new 5N before I put the old pack in? or remove the share and IP address? Or...make an offering somewhere? Anything? Thanks for all constructive comments.
Any chance if the new 5N doesn't read the data I can move the disk pack back to the old 5N and continue as before - somewhere between slim and none you say?

Next to copy files off the FS onto the old 5N, not really thinking about that yet though, the current troubles being sufficient for today and all...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-23-2016, 03:34 PM
RE: moving disk pack from old 5N to new 5N
hi anomalous,

good-ish news:
when my drobo-s-gen2 failed (via the power toggle switch), i was able to successfully use a migration process to migrate my disk pack onto (or into) a replacment drobo-s-gen2, and you have probably already seen this page:
http://www.drobo.com/resource-center/migration/

(in my case, i think it was only the firmware on the replacment unit that i upgraded, rather then dashboard too, but the process worked fine) Smile

queries:
a) can i please check if you are using single drive redundancy (sdr) or dual (ddr) on your drobos?

b) can i also check if the data that you have on your 5n, is the same as the data that is on your fs?

am not sure if it is, though if not, then it seems that you currently would be having 2 Sources of data:
- the fs data source
- and the 5n data source
and potentially no backups currently of either sources, apart from the drive redundancy feature that the drobos have?
(at least SDR modes, or possibly DDR modes, which are good to have)

thoughts:
i have never migrated a NAS model, and while its possible that it might require different steps, the migration page does not seem to indicate this, so if you have bought a new 5n, then i think you might as well raise a quick query with the support team as i believe you will be able to do this for free since you got a new drobo, just to verify any special steps, especially if you do not have any backups of your data.

when powering on my replacement drobo-s-gen2 at the final step of the migration process, the actual process to get it running again with the old diskpack wasnt anywhere as long as the rebuild processes, and was actually fairly quick, (but i didnt have a comic book to read) Smile

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
10-10-2016, 04:22 PM (This post was last modified: 10-10-2016 04:25 PM by Anomalous.)
Hi Paul and thanks for your reply, sorry for my delayed reply but events conspire and life goes on without me...still within me though.

So I had already done the deed when you replied and I'm happy to report that it was painless and fast, the act of finding a comic book would have left no time to read it!

It was interesting to note that the static IP and drive litter followed the disk pack, as well as the [prior to firmware V3.5.11] 16T limitation, curious that that info is contained in the disk pack rather than the 5N unit, annoying too, as I now am in the process of copying all the data back to the old 5N which [now] has the disks that started their Drobo life as 3.5.11 in the new 5NN (new 5N=5NN old 5N=5N) (confused? yes my head is spinning watching the data go round and round). Plus I had to buy more HDDs so I had enough space to copy all the data to the potential 64T space. Then I can reset the original disk pack to also enjoy potentially 64T.
How long until I need 2 >5x12.8T HDD enclosures? am I insane? hopefully not, obsessive-no doubt.
Addressing your queries:
a) SDR, although I'm throwing a LOT of money at this project, funds are NOT unlimited and my rate of data acquisition always exceeds my ability to afford DDR.
b) Although there is some duplication largely the data between the two is unique.

Current plan is to get both 5Ns fully 64T ready, copy all data off the FS to one 5N then sell the FS with the current 5x3T HDD load.

So the short answer is: Disk Pack swap=walk in the park - nice!
10-12-2016, 12:57 PM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2016 12:57 PM by Paul.)
ah thanks for the info and updates, and am glad your diskpack swap went smoothly anomalous, and without anomalies, and hopefully you'll soon be able to amalgamate your data Smile

(also while you wait, here is an anagram for you, as you could drink a "tad bit a coors") Big Grin

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)