Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Moving files
09-18-2016, 05:07 PM
Moving files
I want to move some files around on my 5N from one share to another. Is there a way to do it where the pointers change instead of actually copying the files from place to place? Obviously the slowest but easiest way is drag and drop on my computer but I am then limited to our 10MB LAN connection speed.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-19-2016, 05:00 PM
RE: Moving files
hi james, when i first got my das drobo, i asked a similar question about how to quickly move a file from 1 drive letter (volume) to another, but the answer was that i had to still essentially to a full copy and paste process.

there might have been some other users here who also hack around with things internally or with command line access, and maybe there is a way, but you might as well start copying the files if you have the bandwidth available (or at least for a few of them in the meantime until you can know more)

it might be safer to copy and paste, (and then verify that the data copied successfully, before deleting)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply