Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Gen 3 not mounting in Finder
12-06-2016, 04:49 AM
RE: Gen 3 not mounting in Finder
Hi Paul,

I compared the time and energy of switching out the Drobo and it's disks compared to the $119 for Disk Warrior. I bought teh software and it has cured the problem.

My Time Machine has corrupted a couple of times since but all seems stable now.

Many thanks for your help.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-07-2016, 06:16 PM
ah ok thanks for the update hemsleyj,
(sorry that you had to spend some more for this, though i am glad you were able to fix the problem.)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
12-09-2016, 03:22 AM
Today I bit the bullet and purchased DiskWarrior because no fixes have been pushed out by either DataRobotics or Apple in the month since my Drobo ceased mounting. Am rebuilding the directory now with fingers crossed... (always a tense process!)

OK—everything seems to have gone smoothly. Now it's just a question of how long it will last.

While it's probably good that I now have DiskWarrior, I don't appreciate the fact that even happened in the first place. Grrr...

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread!
David
12-09-2016, 04:53 PM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2016 04:54 PM by Paul.)
thanks for posting back with your latest status david, and (despite perhaps having to make an extra undesired journey), am glad you had a positive outcome

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
12-20-2016, 09:31 PM
Based on this thread, it looks like the Drobo has got quality problems it can't fix. If the fix is disk warrior, where's the discount licensing since it isn't the end-user's problem? I bought mine in April and it's worked maybe 2 months since then and won't mount, no matter if it's El Capitan or Sierra. This is a complete waste of money on a system that must be reliable but isn't. Unless Techtool Pro fixes this problem, and unless the company actually does something to fix this problem, I'm done with Drobo.
02-03-2017, 03:34 PM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2017 03:35 PM by jefft@uwlm.ca.)
Joining the crowd here as I updated to 10.12.3 and am suffering from the same issue...

I've disabled spin down disk and my Mini is never slept but the problem is continuing.

After my last reboot, Drobo dashboard reports 50% capacity free while Disk Utility reports 100% space utilized.

Massive problem that needs to be fixed.

OS X 10.2.3 | Drobo Firmware 3.5.4 | Drobo Dashboard 2.5.8
02-03-2017, 04:16 PM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2017 04:17 PM by Paul.)
(just linking to your other related post here too)
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?

one idea for you jeff (and following on from my last reply to you linked above) could be if you can try stoppng or pausing all backups that take place nightly, and then to see if you still get the nightly message about getting full, and then to also disconnect from the internet and see if you get it again (when no outside influences are directly having a chance to run), and if the drobo is not seeming to get used with low space warnings again, it might be worth seeing if disk utility can identify any problems.

if you also have access to diskwarrior, that may be worth trying too, though if you do not have any backups and are in a position to make backups of the data while it is still accessible, i would try doing that first if you can, before effecting repairs.

02-03-2017, 05:05 PM
Thanks; unfortunately, after the last reboot to try and correct the write error, Disk Utility is now reporting the drive as 100% full (though Dashboard says less than 50% capacity used).

Disk Utility gives the volume a clean bill of health, just not able to mount...

Might give Diskwarrior a shot to see if that works.

(02-03-2017 04:16 PM)Paul Wrote:  (just linking to your other related post here too)
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?

one idea for you jeff (and following on from my last reply to you linked above) could be if you can try stoppng or pausing all backups that take place nightly, and then to see if you still get the nightly message about getting full, and then to also disconnect from the internet and see if you get it again (when no outside influences are directly having a chance to run), and if the drobo is not seeming to get used with low space warnings again, it might be worth seeing if disk utility can identify any problems.

if you also have access to diskwarrior, that may be worth trying too, though if you do not have any backups and are in a position to make backups of the data while it is still accessible, i would try doing that first if you can, before effecting repairs.
03-12-2017, 05:00 PM
Hi again,

I Started a new thread yesterday about this and Im just discovering this issue is being covered here as well. So lets give it an update. Thank you for taking the time to help.

Im still on El Capitan and I updated Dashboard as prompted to version 3.0.1 which initially worked well but now Drobo won't mount in Finder but is visible in Dashboard and disk utility.

As I also mentioned, I use a USB hub with its own power source to mount my Drobo because otherwise I can't get it to mount anywhere.

With the Dashboard update I decided to try connecting Drobo direct to my Mac but that didn't work either. Not even after Re Booting.

Back on the USB HuB I went to disk utility and ran a First Aid and also came back empty handed. Repair was fine and came back as "Successful".

Now What?

Should I upgrade to Sierra? that doesn't seem to be a good idea.
Purchase Disk Warrior? I just spent a fortune on new 6tb drives and an external 8Tb so I can back up Drobo (thought I haven't had a chance to use it)

TechTool Pro?

I don't have Power Nap activated I did have enable drives to sleep when possible.

Twice last week, after waking my Mac, Drobo was disconnected improperly so I just decided to Shut Down Drobo when putting Mac to sleep.

Thank again for the help.

(02-03-2017 05:05 PM)jefft@uwlm.ca Wrote:  Thanks; unfortunately, after the last reboot to try and correct the write error, Disk Utility is now reporting the drive as 100% full (though Dashboard says less than 50% capacity used).

Disk Utility gives the volume a clean bill of health, just not able to mount...

Might give Diskwarrior a shot to see if that works.

(02-03-2017 04:16 PM)Paul Wrote:  (just linking to your other related post here too)

03-13-2017, 11:44 AM
Some one posted this on a 5D thread but I tried it and it works!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsJAcfr73gs

Why spend money on disk warrior if this works? What the heck is going on with Support??????

(11-13-2016 09:46 PM)abaggett05 Wrote:  I'm having the same issue with my drobo currently.

(11-11-2016 11:59 PM)twobikeminimum Wrote:  Paul, thanks for the reply.

Regarding the USB3 you mentioned, were you referring to a cable? My computer "sees" the drive—and Drobo Dashboard is able to access the the unit—so I assume that means the cable is OK.

I ran First Aid (from Disk Utility) on the the Drobo and it found no problems. The volume is still grayed out, though, and will not mount.

Here's something interesting: I tried connecting the unit to a second computer (an older MacBook Air running Yosemite) and had the same problem. So it seems that something on the Drobo itself went screwy—whether attributable to Sierra or not.

It's encouraging to hear that others have had luck running DiskWarrior, but what's the point if the problem just returns again? I hope this is a software issue that Drobo will be able to fix through an update in the (very) near future.

David

(11-07-2016 06:37 PM)Paul Wrote:  hi do you have a usb3 that you could try as a test twobikes?
it might be worth a test just to see.

being a das model, if you have acces to diskwarrior, (or at least disk utility) it might be worth running a maintenance check just in case something needs correcting there? (for example, on windows, if a program using the drobo or explorer crashes, i try an reboot everything and then run a checkdisk on each volume, 1 at a time) maybe a maintenance check could help fix things for you like it has for others recently too?