Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Gen 3 not mounting in Finder
09-17-2016, 12:36 PM (This post was last modified: 09-17-2016 03:46 PM by benichols.)
Gen 3 not mounting in Finder
Hello,
I am running Mac OS Sierra (10.12) on a Mac Mini (late 2012). All was working fine for a few days and then the Drobo disappeared from the Finder. Drobo Dashboard shows everything as fine and all the lights are normal on the Drobo. I ran disk utility and First Aid and it ran successfully without errors detected. I have safe shutdown the Drobo and switched it to another USB port (it's never been on a hub). Has anyone else had this problem? I realize that Sierra is not "officially supported" but wanted to make sure this problem wasn't unrelated before going back to 10.11.
Thanks!
Brian

Edit: FYI for anyone else with this issue. I used Time Machine to restore to 10.11. I purchased Disk Warrior (ouch). Disk Warrior fixed the directory issues and all is good now.

TL/DR; Buy Disk Warrior
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-19-2016, 04:40 PM (This post was last modified: 09-19-2016 04:41 PM by Paul.)
RE: Gen 3 not mounting in Finder
hi brian, thanks for sharing your info (and how you fixed it)

am not sure about sierra, though i remember reading up about how it was not good to leave devices plugged into a mac, while updating or upgrading into el capitan.... can you remember if maybe something like that happened when you went to sierra?
it could be that, though am glad you were able to sort things out and access the data again.
btw what does tldr mean?
in html programming, theres a TR followed by a TD very often Smile

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
10-03-2016, 03:57 AM
Hey benichols,

I have the same exact problem here. Drobo wouldn't show up in Finder anymore. Manual mount with disk utility didn't work. I also had to run Disk Warrior to get to my file - BUT, after a secure shutdown and restart of my Mac running Mac OS Sierra I have the same issue again. Disk Warrior did help again, but guys what is going on here?

Btw, newest Firmware 3.5.2 and Drobo Dashboard 2.8.3 is installed.

Thanks for any suggestions...
Sven
10-03-2016, 02:26 PM
(just linking to your other post here, with reply)
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=145948&pid=201987

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
11-06-2016, 03:11 AM
Same thing happened to me today: returned after a day out and could not open Photos on my Mac (the library is located on my Drobo). Updated to the most recent version of both Dashboard and Drobo firmware, restarted several times, tried switching Thunderbolt ports on my MacBook Pro but no luck... Dashboard sees my Drobo and reports its health as "Good", but no sign of my unit in the Finder. This is serious since I use my Drobo for my job. Hmm... not happy.
11-07-2016, 06:37 PM
hi do you have a usb3 that you could try as a test twobikes?
it might be worth a test just to see.

being a das model, if you have acces to diskwarrior, (or at least disk utility) it might be worth running a maintenance check just in case something needs correcting there? (for example, on windows, if a program using the drobo or explorer crashes, i try an reboot everything and then run a checkdisk on each volume, 1 at a time) maybe a maintenance check could help fix things for you like it has for others recently too?

11-08-2016, 05:33 AM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2016 05:33 AM by simonwardimages.)
Same thing is happening to me. I've also recently updated MAC OS Sierra. It was working fine on Sierra and it was working last night, but then this morning I came to access files and it couldn't be found. It's not in finder but in Drobo dashboard it's available and ingood health. In disk utilities it's there but I can't unmount it or anything. Tried rebooting the mac and the drobo several times. Unconnected, reconnected, used every single USB port. NOTHING. I too use this for work and I can't access anything. Really really not happy Drobo.... I'm not going to buy additional software to resolve this, it should work out of the box. What is the issue drobo???

btw, All drobo updates are up to date...
11-09-2016, 04:55 PM
hi simon, do you know if you can find out whether any sierra-features are currently running?
for example, is maybe spotlight running an index scan and maybe locked out the drobo volume or something else like itunes or time machine?

11-11-2016, 11:59 PM
Paul, thanks for the reply.

Regarding the USB3 you mentioned, were you referring to a cable? My computer "sees" the drive—and Drobo Dashboard is able to access the the unit—so I assume that means the cable is OK.

I ran First Aid (from Disk Utility) on the the Drobo and it found no problems. The volume is still grayed out, though, and will not mount.

Here's something interesting: I tried connecting the unit to a second computer (an older MacBook Air running Yosemite) and had the same problem. So it seems that something on the Drobo itself went screwy—whether attributable to Sierra or not.

It's encouraging to hear that others have had luck running DiskWarrior, but what's the point if the problem just returns again? I hope this is a software issue that Drobo will be able to fix through an update in the (very) near future.

David

(11-07-2016 06:37 PM)Paul Wrote:  hi do you have a usb3 that you could try as a test twobikes?

being a das model, if you have acces to diskwarrior, (or at least disk utility) it might be worth running a maintenance check just in case something needs correcting there? (for example, on windows, if a program using the drobo or explorer crashes, i try an reboot everything and then run a checkdisk on each volume, 1 at a time) maybe a maintenance check could help fix things for you like it has for others recently too?
11-13-2016, 09:46 PM
I'm having the same issue with my drobo currently.

(11-11-2016 11:59 PM)twobikeminimum Wrote:  Paul, thanks for the reply.

Regarding the USB3 you mentioned, were you referring to a cable? My computer "sees" the drive—and Drobo Dashboard is able to access the the unit—so I assume that means the cable is OK.

I ran First Aid (from Disk Utility) on the the Drobo and it found no problems. The volume is still grayed out, though, and will not mount.

Here's something interesting: I tried connecting the unit to a second computer (an older MacBook Air running Yosemite) and had the same problem. So it seems that something on the Drobo itself went screwy—whether attributable to Sierra or not.

It's encouraging to hear that others have had luck running DiskWarrior, but what's the point if the problem just returns again? I hope this is a software issue that Drobo will be able to fix through an update in the (very) near future.

David

(11-07-2016 06:37 PM)Paul Wrote:  hi do you have a usb3 that you could try as a test twobikes?