Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Finder is saying I have 70.37TB on my Drobo??
09-16-2016, 01:17 PM
Finder is saying I have 70.37TB on my Drobo??
I just got my Drobo 5d - but my OS X Finder is saying I have 70.37 TB available on the drive when there are only 4-5TB drives in there...

But Drobo Dashboard is saying there is 14.35 TB Available. should I be concerned or is something screwed up?

Thanks!

TracerX
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-16-2016, 02:43 PM
RE: Finder is saying I have 70.37TB on my Drobo??
hi tracerx, it could be that the latest drobo versions you got are using 64TB max virtual volumes.
(for example as mentioned here) https://myproducts.drobo.com/article/AA-01867

in your case, that could be why the mac shows it using its sizing values, but as long as you follow the values on dashboard, dashboard should always show you the true free space remaining (which in your case, if mainly empty, it think would be about 13.5TB appox if i did the sums correctly without a coffee) Smile

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
09-16-2016, 03:23 PM
okay sounds good - I'll breathe easier knowing Im not copying stuff to a black hole.
09-19-2016, 04:05 PM
ok cool,
btw if you do your own sums, and think that you are not going to need to use up much of the free space for your data, then it might be worth enabling the DDR mode for dual disk redundancy, which can help protect against any 2 drives failing. (you might not need to, but if you still have plenty of free space or the data is quite important, you might as well)

backups are always good Smile (even backups of backups) Big Grin

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)