Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New drive added but now not able to move files over!
09-15-2016, 09:17 AM
New drive added but now not able to move files over!
Hello, I had added a new drive over a few weeks ago when I was notified the capacity was very low. I added a brand new. empty 6tb hard drive to my (b800fs, if it means anything) Drobo and it was accepted.

The Drobo software tells me that all is well and it has sufficient capacity.

Only now I am in need of transferring files over but when I attempt to, finder STILL tells me there is not enough capacity even though the files I am attempting to move over are not very large at all. Has anyone ever experienced this before?

Any and all thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-16-2016, 02:36 PM (This post was last modified: 09-16-2016 02:37 PM by Paul.)
RE: New drive added but now not able to move files over!
hi, it may be that the overall drobo has plenty of space on it, but that the actual volume you are using on the mac is almost within its limit but i wasnt sure.
if you can see in finder (and dashboard), does it show you what the max volume sizes are, and also how much free space is available (according to finder for the volumes)?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
09-19-2016, 08:58 AM
hello paul, thank you for your reply. that sounds like it may be precisely the issue. when I am moving files over (via finder), the bottom reads there is only 700 mb or so. what would remedy this?

(09-16-2016 02:36 PM)Paul Wrote:  hi, it may be that the overall drobo has plenty of space on it, but that the actual volume you are using on the mac is almost within its limit but i wasnt sure.
if you can see in finder (and dashboard), does it show you what the max volume sizes are, and also how much free space is available (according to finder for the volumes)?
09-19-2016, 03:45 PM
thanks for the info about finder,
it looks like that volume (or share) only has 700mb or so, to reach its limit.

if you get a chance, would you be able to take some screenshots of your dashboard tabs, to capture into about which drives/sizes you have in which slots, and any other info about volume sizing, and used/free space (in TB and %)?
if you can, please can you upload them to imgur with a link to them pasted here (but please remember to rub out any sensitive/serial numbers etc before uploading to play safe)

i only actually use the usb Das models here, though according to this knowledgebase article, there may be another volume you can create or use, for use with the remaining space:
https://myproducts.drobo.com/article/AA-01128

(on the das models, they usually automatically create new volumes or drive letters for me in windows, whenever the overall free usable space of drobo, is more than the volume size of my existing volume, so for you, you might have to setup another one, but if you do, please remember to use dashboards free space info so that you do not overfill it by mistake, and usually best to keep it within the 95% mark where possible)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
09-20-2016, 08:40 AM (This post was last modified: 09-20-2016 08:40 AM by AntfarmPhotography.)
Hello, screenshots here: http://imgur.com/a/MeZf9

http://imgur.com/onVAoJY

http://imgur.com/nkC6zmk

http://imgur.com/a/MeZf9

Would adding a new share be the solution or is it possible to increase the capacity of the share/volume we are already using? Checking out the link now!

(09-19-2016 03:45 PM)Paul Wrote:  thanks for the info about finder,

if you get a chance, would you be able to take some screenshots of your dashboard tabs, to capture into about which drives/sizes you have in which slots, and any other info about volume sizing, and used/free space (in TB and %)?
if you can, please can you upload them to imgur with a link to them pasted here (but please remember to rub out any sensitive/serial numbers etc before uploading to play safe)

i only actually use the usb Das models here, though according to this knowledgebase article, there may be another volume you can create or use, for use with the remaining space:

(on the das models, they usually automatically create new volumes or drive letters for me in windows, whenever the overall free usable space of drobo, is more than the volume size of my existing volume, so for you, you might have to setup another one, but if you do, please remember to use dashboards free space info so that you do not overfill it by mistake, and usually best to keep it within the 95% mark where possible)

Hello, screenshots here: http://imgur.com/a/MeZf9

http://imgur.com/onVAoJY

http://imgur.com/nkC6zmk

http://imgur.com/a/MeZf9

Would adding a new share be the solution or is it possible to increase the capacity of the share/volume we are already using? Checking out the link now!

(09-19-2016 03:45 PM)Paul Wrote:  thanks for the info about finder,

09-21-2016, 12:48 PM (This post was last modified: 09-21-2016 12:51 PM by Paul.)
thank for the screenshots adam,

as far as i can tell, your drobo is using single drive redundancy mode (sdr), and that the unit has about 7TB of free space....

im not too sure about the mac finder view modes, but is there maybe a details view mode that you can use, to show how the mac finder is seeing your current volume, such as if you maybe right click and do a properties in the root folder where it shows you your backup folders, what does it show as the total size of the volume (eg, we know it has about 640megs free, but what it the max size?) - maybe another way could be to use finder to show you what the current "used" space is, and we can add the 2 together.
also when i looked at the maual, it did not seem to show anything about how to actually set up shares and volumes. (its possible i missed something, but maybe it simply comes preconfigured with 2 volumes, though it is not clear whether the one you have in your screenshot, called "droboapps" is actually the 2nd volume that it somes with, or if another one needs to be created?

have you ever mounted that 2nd volume which is called droboapps?

09-28-2016, 02:21 PM
Hello Paul, it seems like we've solved it somehow. By creating a second share on Volume 2, this gave us 17tb of space and now large files are able to be moved over to the drobo.

Does this model of drobo only come with two 'Volumes' with a limited capacity in each? The max capacity of the original volume unfortunately wasn't able to be determined but judging by this new volume and share created, it was probably around 17 tb. Thanks!

(09-21-2016 12:48 PM)Paul Wrote:  thank for the screenshots adam,

as far as i can tell, your drobo is using single drive redundancy mode (sdr), and that the unit has about 7TB of free space....

im not too sure about the mac finder view modes, but is there maybe a details view mode that you can use, to show how the mac finder is seeing your current volume, such as if you maybe right click and do a properties in the root folder where it shows you your backup folders, what does it show as the total size of the volume (eg, we know it has about 640megs free, but what it the max size?) - maybe another way could be to use finder to show you what the current "used" space is, and we can add the 2 together.
also when i looked at the maual, it did not seem to show anything about how to actually set up shares and volumes. (its possible i missed something, but maybe it simply comes preconfigured with 2 volumes, though it is not clear whether the one you have in your screenshot, called "droboapps" is actually the 2nd volume that it somes with, or if another one needs to be created?

have you ever mounted that 2nd volume which is called droboapps?
09-28-2016, 04:37 PM
hi adam, thats great news, am glad its working again for you.
the 17tb (might actually be 16TB in mac sizings) Smile

unless otherwise corrected, i would take it to mean that it has 2 volumes max, (which could be fair enough), just not as clear as it perhaps could be, though please always remember to use dashboards free space information overall, so that you do not overfill your drobo by mistake, and its usually best to keep it within the 95% used mark where possible, but well done for being able to use it via the other volume.