Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
All drives reported bad on my new 5D
09-13-2016, 03:07 PM
All drives reported bad on my new 5D
No matter which drive I use every one of the come up on dashboard as being bad, replace?
What am I doing wrong if any thing?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-14-2016, 03:54 PM (This post was last modified: 09-14-2016 03:56 PM by Paul.)
RE: All drives reported bad on my new 5D
hi, can i check where these drives came from?
for example, were they new blank ones that you ordered for use in the drobo, or where they from another drobo, or older drives that you had before, but had never been in a drobo?

also, can i check how you set up the drobo, for example were all the blank drives outside, and you put them in one by one after turning it on, or was the unit off, and you put them all in and then turned it on?

it could be something with the drives as well, though, so if possible would you be able to please post back with some more info about the drives, such as drive make, model, size and firmware please?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
09-15-2016, 12:34 PM
Lightbulb RE: All drives reported bad on my new 5D
All drives are from my old 5D which went out and will not even power up. Drobo was off when I inserted the drives, powerd up drobo did it's thing Yellow the all red.
tried reformat on tw of the drives, Mac , they would not work eather. It's too expensive to replace all 5 WD 3TB.
09-16-2016, 02:58 PM (This post was last modified: 09-16-2016 03:00 PM by Paul.)
RE: All drives reported bad on my new 5D
thanks for the info,
when i first read your last post, i was thinking if you were trying to follow a migration process, for example here: http://www.drobo.com/resource-center/migration/
then one thing that might be worth doing would be to try updating the firmware of the new 5d while empty, and then powering it off and unplugging power, to put your old disk pack back in...

however, if you have also tried reformating some of those drives, then you are probably not trying to do a migration, and/or just would like to use those drives as blank ones for the new 5d?
if this is the case, then it would probably be worth updating the firmware to the latest, and trying again (in case you have not already tried that),
or
you could try doing a pinhole reset (with the drives inside) to see if that works.

if something happened to your old drobo though, such as a power spike, then it is also possible that the drives inside maybe got affected somehow, and is probably worth testing out each drive, one at a time, such as with a usb external drive caddy, just to make sure that the drives are ok?
also, when you mentioned that you tried a reformat on two of the drives, via the Mac, and that they would not work either, then i think testing out all of them, including a full surface scan if possible, will be worth it, because maybe only some of them are faulty, and then you might be able to use the good ones to form a fresh diskpack) - it is a bit of hassle, but try if you can

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)