Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Dead Drobo - Testing Transformer
08-31-2016, 06:11 PM
Dead Drobo - Testing Transformer
My 5D will not power on. (Yes, it's plugged in - yes, it's a live outlet). Could the problem be a bad transformer? Is there a way to test it?

Thanks,
Jerry
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-02-2016, 01:41 AM
RE: Dead Drobo - Testing Transformer
yes, with a voltmeter

My Avatar is my Panther Chameleon named 'Leon.

I have a owned a Drobo v1, v2, DroboPro, Drobo 5D, DroboFS, Drobo 5N and DroboPro FS

I currently have a Windows 2016 Server with 8 x 8TB Seagate Archive Drives, 14 x 8TB WD Red and 3 x 8TB WD Gold
09-03-2016, 07:56 AM
(09-02-2016 01:41 AM)Docchris Wrote:  yes, with a voltmeter

I opened a ticket on this with Drobo support, and they contacted me in a very reasonable amount of time (less than 24 hours). They sent me a list of steps to perform to troubleshoot the issue (see below) and asked me to respond ASAP because they wanted to get me back up and running as quickly as possible. I responded right away, but I didn't hear back from them for well over 24 hours, and since this is a holiday weekend I'm guessing I won't hear back from them anytime soon. That puts me in a major bind... =:o(

Here's what they requested I do, and my results:
1. Plug the power supply into a known working wall outlet
-Done

2. Unseat all the drives.(You do not have to completely remove them,pull them out about an inch or two.)
-Done (Note: that wasn't easy to do. Ejecting them only pushes them out about 1/4". They are hard to get ahold of...

3. Power on the Drobo
-Done

4. Does the Drobo power on without the drives installed?
-No

5. Is the light on the back of the Drobo lit when the power supply is plugged into the Drobo?
-No

6. Is the light on the power supply flashing or solid when plugged into the Drobo?
-Flashing

7. Is the light on the power supply flashing or solid when not plugged into the Drobo?
-Solid (Note: It is on "solid" when disconnected from power, but then goes off after "a time")

8. What is the power supply part number? (This information is located on the bottom of the power supply.)
P/N: 55 231389 01

I also notice that when the power supply is plugged into a wall outlet, the green light is on solid...

Any idea what this reveals? I'm guessing it's NOT the power supply...

Thanks,
Jerry
09-05-2016, 02:57 PM
(just linking to related post)
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=143

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)