Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drobo S No Longer Mounts - 1 x HDD Was Replaced & Data Protection Process Engaged
08-29-2016, 05:13 AM (This post was last modified: 08-29-2016 05:20 AM by seamuswarren.)
Drobo S No Longer Mounts - 1 x HDD Was Replaced & Data Protection Process Engaged
(...or maybe it's called a "Data Rebuilding Process". These appear to be interchangeable terms. To muddy the water a little more, I tend to think of it more as a "Data Redistribution Process" that occurs when a HDD is replaced.)

Hello, here is a question I asked Drobo Support and they suggested I try the forum before I raise a paid service request.

My Drobo S looks as if it has completed the data rebuilding/data protection process after I inserted a larger 4TB WD drive into "Bay 01" as all the drive bay lights, the little blue lights and green power light are all solid and stable. The data transmission light has not lit up at all, indicating there is no communication between the Drobo and PC - which makes sense as it's not mounted, which is the problem. Can't access the Drobo.

- If I reboot the PC or disconnect and re-insert the USB cable, the Drobo is not "discovered" by the PC.\

- If I reboot the Drobo, it goes into some sort of self-diagnostic mode:
01) A solid red light next to "Bay 01" suggests I replace the drive WE drive I already recently inserted replacing the previous 2TB drive. (All the other drive bay lights remain a solid green);
02) After a little while, the data protection process starts without any interference from me and all the drive bay lights start flashing green/yellow. The data protection process takes a half-hour perhaps - not the marathon 39 hours it really takes;
03) After a while all the drive bay lights turn a solid yellow and it sits there like that for a half to a full hour maybe and next - I think - the Drobo settles down and all the drive bay lights turn a solid green again... or maybe I had to shutdown, rest and restart it. Can't remember, but it certain won't stay mounted. It mounts for a while. Was even mounted when all lights were a solid yellow. But not when solid green.

A couple of weeks ago my Drobo S prompted me to replace one of its 2TB drives with something larger so I inserted a new 4TB Seagate 5900rpm drive and the data protection process (all drive lights flashing yellow and green) commenced, which took about thirty nine hours to complete. I have done this part of the process three times now. The first two times with a Seagate and (thinking the Seagate might be faulty) the third attempt I used a new Western Digital drive.

In all three cases, by the time the data protection process was complete the Drobo had dismounted (or "unmounted") from the computer and MacOS was displaying a "Disk not ejected properly..." message and all the drive lights were either a solid yellow or a solid green.

Yesterday, by the end of the third thirty nine hour "Data protection is in progress..." process, all the drive lights had turned a solid green, which is a good thing, but the Drobo had dismounted from the OS. As the Drobo was not transmitting any data and had been sitting dormant for a good half hour or so, I pressed it's power button and it shut down after a minute or so. I also shutdown the iMac. I disconnected the power and USB cables from the Drobo, waiting a minute and rebooted both the iMac and Drobo.

After starting up the Drobo, it initially displayed one red drive bay light (where the new drive is) with the remaining four drive bay lights a solid green. After ten or so minutes all the drive bay lights stared flashing the familiar yellow/green indicating data protection was once again in progress. This time the data protection lasted only a half hour or so before (as I write this the Drobo is doing the same thing again) the Drobo dismounted again after a half hour of "data protection is is progress..." with flashing green/yellow lights. Now all the drive lights are a solid yellow and the MacOS "Disk Not Ejected Properly. Eject "Drobo S" before disconnecting or turning it off." has popped up once more.

So at this point - when all the drive bay lights a solid yellow but the Drobo is not visible to my computer, I'd first reboot the computer to see if the Drobo S shows up in the Finder. My next step is to shutdown and reboot both the Drobo and the computer and the Drobo often does show up in the Finder but commences it's relatively brief data protection process once more before winding up dismounted from the OS and displaying solid yellow drive bay lights once more.

Here a copy of the log before the Drobo dismounted and was no longer accessible via Drobo Dashboard:

TM: 0x7fff7bf22000 08\29 16:13:34 Information - Host OS: Mac - 10.11.6
TM: 0x7fff7bf22000 08\29 16:13:34 Information - Version: 2.8.2 [82711]
TM: 0x7fff7bf22000 08\29 16:13:34 Information - Language:
TM: 0x7fff7bf22000 08\29 16:13:34 Information - Version: 2.8.2 [82711]
TM: 0x7fff7bf22000 08\29 16:13:39 Information - IScsiControl::IsJavaInstalled - Java is NOT installed
TM: 0x70000021d000 08\29 16:15:11 Information - PNPManager::enumESAs - ***** IOServiceOpen returned ( 0x4013 ) and status 0x0
TM: 0x70000019a000 08\29 16:15:29 Information - ESAAlertHistory::Update - ESA status change for ID tdb1048a0970 - 0x0 to 0x64
TM: 0x700000841000 08\29 16:21:36 Information - ServiceCmdRouter::RouteCommand - DeviceID = na. CmdID = eCmdIsAutoDiscoveryEnabled
TM: 0x700000947000 08\29 16:21:36 Information - ServiceCmdRouter::RouteCommand - DeviceID = na. CmdID = eCmdGetVersion
TM: 0x700000841000 08\29 16:21:50 Information - ServiceCmdRouter::RouteCommand - DeviceID = na. CmdID = eCmdIsAutoDiscoveryEnabled
TM: 0x7000008c4000 08\29 16:21:50 Information - ServiceCmdRouter::RouteCommand - DeviceID = tdb1048a0970. CmdID = eCmdGetFirmwareInfo
TM: 0x700000841000 08\29 16:21:50 Information - ServiceCmdRouter::RouteCommand - DeviceID = na. CmdID = eCmdIsAutoDiscoveryEnabled
TM: 0x70000019a000 08\29 16:23:50 Information - ESAAlertHistory::Update - ESA status change for ID tdb1048a0970 - 0x64 to 0x576
TM: 0x700000841000 08\29 16:29:55 Information - ServiceCmdRouter::RouteCommand - DeviceID = tdb1048a0970. CmdID = eCmdGetConfig
TM: 0x700000841000 08\29 16:30:01 Information - ServiceCmdRouter::RouteCommand - DeviceID = tdb1048a0970. CmdID = eCmdUploadDiags
TM: 0x700000841000 08\29 16:30:01 Information -
1 devices detected
Name Serial # Version ConnectionType
________________________________ __________________ ______________________ ______________
Drobo S tdb1048a0970 2.1.5 [5.41.62910] USB

Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-29-2016, 03:30 PM (This post was last modified: 08-29-2016 03:31 PM by Paul.)
RE: Drobo S No Longer Mounts - 1 x HDD Was Replaced & Data Protection Process Engaged
hi seamus, ive seen a few other posts for you recently, and they all seem related...
(am not sure if you have seem some of the replies yet on your other posts though may be worth a look before continuing just in case)

it will probably be a good thing to open a support ticket, and the support team might be able to best advise based on diagnostic logs that they may ask you to generate at the appropriate time, though if you have still not yet decided, then you may be able to try the following:

1) to try only powering up the drobo on its own (for example, with the drives still inside, but without any computer connection cables), to see if it boots up and then goes into standby mode, or if it boots up and continues to do things for a long time such as rebooting or hanging with flashing lights, going to all green and then repeating?

2) you could try putting the drobo into a readonly mode, for example as mentioned here, which might help stabalise things to let you access and copy some data from it:
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?

(though even if that works, it would probably still be good to raise a support ticket as there may be some other underlying problems possibly with some drives or drive firmwares.)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
08-30-2016, 12:56 AM (This post was last modified: 08-30-2016 06:07 AM by seamuswarren.)
RE: Drobo S No Longer Mounts - 1 x HDD Was Replaced & Data Protection Process Engaged
Hello Paul, I followed your advice and isolated the Drobo before starting it. (I removed both the power and the USB data cables be I left for work this morning.)

After a few minutes the Drobo did go into - and remains - in Standby.

Before the Drobo dropped into Standby it was indicating the drive in (what I call) "Bay 01" needs to be replaced. Bay 01 already has the new drive in it.

What should I do next?

Can I connect the data cable while the PC is running with the Drobo in Standby?

Should I shutdown the PC first? Install an older version of Dashboard?

Thank you. Smile

EDIT: I shutdown the PC and connected the data cable to Drobo while it was on Standby. Next I started the PC, which signalled the Drobo to start. But the issue persists: The drive bay light was again a solid red prompting me to insert a new drive (which I did days ago). To get the Drobo to so something, I removed and re-inserted the drive and a 12, 10, 6 then 4 hour "Data Protection: In Progress" process began once again. Approximately one hour remaining at this point. I fear the Drobo will once again dismount when the data protection process comes to an end and the drive bay lights are no longer flashing yellow/green.
08-30-2016, 05:51 PM
I shutdown the computer and let the Drobo continue doing its thing.

The Drobo continued running its data protection process with drive bay lights flashing yellow and green.

...and it was indicating 1 minute remaining, but this must have been a virtual minute because the process continue way longer than a minute.

Next morning all drive bay lights were a solid green but Drobo would not go into standby so I pressed the power button and it eventually shutdown.
08-31-2016, 02:38 PM (This post was last modified: 08-31-2016 02:40 PM by Paul.)
thanks seamus for the info,

as your drobo has a solid red light (i think that just indicates that it is low on space, rather than a failed drive, so im thinking that as long as the usage hasnt been completely filled, that it should still be booting up and found)

however as that does not seem to be the case, it would be worth trying the readonly mode (if you get a chance to try that and if you ahve not yet tried it)
another thing you can try, if to fully shutdown the drobo and computer
and to unplug the data connection cable (eg usb),
and to wait 15minutes
and then to try booting up the drobo (which should then go into standby mode after booting up)
and then to boot up the computer
and then to launch dashboard
and then to try waking up the drobo (by connecting the usb cable first ot the computer, and then to the drobo)
how do things go now seamus?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
09-07-2016, 07:32 AM
I raised a support request and the log appears to indicate the middle 2TB drive is failing despite no red warning light showing on the Drobo unit.

They suggested I clone the middle drive and/or move all the data to another location before resetting the Drobo.

I suppose I've been intending to get a Drobo 5N (or similar) for some time and then maybe use the Drobo S as a nightly or weekly back-up for the Drobo S.
09-07-2016, 12:41 PM (This post was last modified: 09-07-2016 12:41 PM by Paul.)
ah thanks for the info seamus, hopefully things turn out ok for you after the clone/backups,
i just use the das models here, though if you do get a 5n it also has apps and other features.