Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Emergency disk pack migration
08-28-2016, 05:16 AM
Emergency disk pack migration
Hi all, I'm trying hard to stay out of panic mode here.

I've got a Drobo s gen 2 (Usb 3/fw800) that suddenly died the other day. I had been using it perfectly about an hour before, accessing data and copying things from the Drobo. Then it shut down unexpectedly and went into a reboot loop. I turned off the Drobo by unplugging because the toggle didn't seem to be doing anything. Plugged it back in and got nothing but a quick flash of all the lights every 2 secs. This is what it did when the disk pack was in and what it does when the disk pack is out. Seems pretty much dead.

Now the issue. Most of the critical things on the drive are backed up. Some things I'd really like to get back are not.

I've ordered a new 5d (not a 5dt) and I just can't remember if u had done the firmware update on the Drobo s in 2013. Tech support says if the firmware doesn't line up I'll get red lights. What!!! No backwards comparability when you just want to save your work from a DRobo hardware failure?? Crazy

So what do I do if I see red lights when I put the disk pack into the new device. There has to be a solution to this. Am I really into data recovery for such a simple problem. Of course I'm dealing with the what ifs until I get the new Drobo in a couple of days. If the lights are red I'm assuming the Drobo just sits there and will not try to format the disk pack or anything. I'm hoping this just works.

Any suggestions and information would be so helpful

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-28-2016, 06:31 AM
RE: Emergency disk pack migration
(08-28-2016 05:16 AM)photoeast.ca Wrote:  Plugged it back in and got nothing but a quick flash of all the lights every 2 secs.

This sounds like a power supply issue. You could try using an aftermarket power brick to see if it works, just make sure the voltage and amperage ratings are correct.

Drobo (Gen2)
Drobo 5N
=============================
** Praise the Gods, Do Good, Act Bravely. **
08-28-2016, 12:59 PM
RE: Emergency disk pack migration
I will give it a try. Thanks