Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Boot Loop with drives attached
08-23-2016, 03:59 AM
Question Boot Loop with drives attached
Hello All!

I have experienced a problem with my Drobo 5D. I had a disk failure, and whilst waiting for the replacement disk to arrive, the Drobo started to boot loop.

I followed the support article where it explained that in such an occurrence to remove the drives and see if the 5D continues to boot loop. With all drives removed the Drobo stays on steadily.

My question to the community is, how do I recover my data & Drobo? I need to recover the data on these disks, but as it stands, with all 4 working disks attached the Drobo will not stay on for more than a few seconds.

Has anyone experienced this or have any info for me? I have checked with the Drobo support team but they have been unable to help due to it being out of warranty.

Thanks all, appreciate any responses.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-24-2016, 06:32 PM (This post was last modified: 08-24-2016 06:33 PM by Paul.)
RE: Boot Loop with drives attached
hi, you might be able to follow the advice about putting your drobo into a readonly mode as mentioned here:
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?

(one thing to bear in mind though, is that all of your drives in the drobo make up the diskpack, and that diskpacks should only ever be removed in their entirety when power is all OFF and unplugged, and diskpacks should only be put back inside in their entirety when power is all OFF and unplugged.)

with this in mind, and if your drobo is currently empty, then you could try putting the drobo into standby mode, and then powering all off, and then putting your diskpack drives back in, and then powering up the drobo and computer as normal (with the drobo being in read only mode) - does that help stabilise your system to at least be able to access your data again?

in case that does not fix things for you, then there may be some issues with multiple drives, though i think even for out of warranty you might be able to raise a paid support ticket, a bit like a per-per-view incident and that might help with additional info or diagnostics about which drive might have a problem.

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
09-01-2016, 03:12 AM
(08-24-2016 06:32 PM)Paul Wrote:  hi, you might be able to follow the advice about putting your drobo into a readonly mode as mentioned here:
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?

(one thing to bear in mind though, is that all of your drives in the drobo make up the diskpack, and that diskpacks should only ever be removed in their entirety when power is all OFF and unplugged, and diskpacks should only be put back inside in their entirety when power is all OFF and unplugged.)

with this in mind, and if your drobo is currently empty, then you could try putting the drobo into standby mode, and then powering all off, and then putting your diskpack drives back in, and then powering up the drobo and computer as normal (with the drobo being in read only mode) - does that help stabilise your system to at least be able to access your data again?

in case that does not fix things for you, then there may be some issues with multiple drives, though i think even for out of warranty you might be able to raise a paid support ticket, a bit like a per-per-view incident and that might help with additional info or diagnostics about which drive might have a problem.

Hi Paul,

Just to let you know that by putting the Drobo in Read Only mode I managed to get the Drobo to stabilise. Thanks very much! Just need to see what happens when the new drive is attached... if it ever arrives!

Thanks
09-02-2016, 06:28 AM
ah thats nice to hear Smile
if you can, i would try to make a backup of the data while it is accessible again, and before you start adding or swapping any drives, at least of the most important data. (i say this because you will later need to put your drobo out of readonly mode again, before adding or replacing drives, as readonly mode is essentially simulating actual rebuilds etc).

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)