Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
OSX Trash recycling bin
08-22-2016, 10:46 AM
OSX Trash recycling bin
If you delete a file from the B810n, can does it behave as normal? Ie, go to the bin instead of permanently deleting?

I can't seem to find anything on this but maybe it's the same with all NAS devices.. A big decision for me buying a device! Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-22-2016, 01:14 PM (This post was last modified: 08-22-2016 01:15 PM by Paul.)
RE: OSX Trash recycling bin
hi musio Smile

am not sure if the trashcan behaves in a similar way as windows, (but on windows, the recycle bin can be configured to have a certain size, where usually files are moved there, but if a huge file is deleted that can not fit then it also actually gets deleted) - that could be worth bearing in mind for the mac too?
btw is there a particular process (or workflow) that you are having at the back of your mind?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
08-22-2016, 02:06 PM
Helpful, thanks! I'll look out for the big file deletion which is something I didn't think about.
It's a big buy so I've sent a ticket to customer support Smile
08-23-2016, 04:04 PM
According to support, looks like every file will be deleted permanently Sad
08-23-2016, 09:07 PM
Network drives or shares, such as provided by an NAS or Network Accessible Storage (i.e. the Drobo 5N) are not supported for the macOS Trash - when you delete a file from a network drive, it is gone permanently. DAS or Direct Attached Storage, such as the Drobo 5D, will use the Trash when deleting files, however.
08-23-2016, 11:33 PM
Thanks sboydman!
08-24-2016, 06:41 PM (This post was last modified: 08-24-2016 06:49 PM by Paul.)
ah yes, thanks for the mac info sboydman, (i was coming from a windows and das perspective as thats what i have myself)
btw, if you were planning on setting up a few users with their own fileshares, and wanted a way to facilitate file restoration of things that have been deleted, then maybe the following concept could work?

for example,
- if each user is given a share
- but each user does not have delete permissions
- and instead, each user has a funky-looking folder (with a special icon or colour) called "!_files_for_deletion" without quotes or something similar
- and each user is trained to simply move what they dont need any more, into that folder.
- then, you could set up a process (such as manual, or semi-auto) which goes into each users folder, and then essentially moves them off into another hidden share that you have, (possibly via copying, pasting, and then deleting)

and that way you are essentially managing their deleted files, in a structured way, possibly with subfolders, so that if they come back to you asking for something they deleted by mistake recently, you can simply go into your special share, and pick out the matching date folder and file, and give them back what they needed Smile

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)