Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Time Machine
07-30-2016, 11:55 AM (This post was last modified: 07-31-2016 05:52 AM by englishrebel.)
Question Time Machine
I have been using my Drobo 5N with my MacBook Air as a Time Machine for a couple of months now. However every two weeks or so I get a message that says something to the effect TM has assessed the back up and needs to start over. I allow it to do that and then it's fine for a another couple of weeks when it does it again.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Alan

Edit
I have a felling that DROBO dashboard loses a connection with the 5N. After I get the error message and I bring up dashboard (I have it open but minimized) I don't see the 5N and after a few seconds it shows up.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-31-2016, 11:52 AM
RE: Time Machine
hi, would you be able to try a few things mentioned on this particular posting here, to see if it make any difference for you?
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=143064&pid=186331

also, do you know if you are specifying the main drobo as the time machine location of the backups, or a specific, limited maximum size / share for the time machine backups?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
07-31-2016, 12:10 PM (This post was last modified: 07-31-2016 12:12 PM by englishrebel.)
(07-31-2016 11:52 AM)Paul Wrote:  hi, would you be able to try a few things mentioned on this particular posting here, to see if it make any difference for you?
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=143064&pid=186331

also, do you know if you are specifying the main drobo as the time machine location of the backups, or a specific, limited maximum size / share for the time machine backups?

I have a MacBook Air and a MacPro and I set a share for each. I am using the cable that came with it and have a Gigabit connection (to my at7t U-Verse router).
Alan
07-31-2016, 12:27 PM (This post was last modified: 07-31-2016 12:31 PM by Paul.)
thanks for the info alan, ok please hang in there as there are some mac experts on the forums.
i have seen some other users mention a similar problem with time machine in general though, and maybe in the meantime this page could have some useful info for you:
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?
also here in case this was a related message:
http://pondini.org/TM/C13.html

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
08-02-2016, 12:50 PM
Paul
I also have a Mac Pro connected to my router via a CAT5 cable and it doesn't have any of these issues so the problem is confined to WiFi. Now why my MacBook Air drops the NAS I have no idea as I can access the internet just fine. When I maximize Dashboard it takes a few seconds to locate the 5N again but by that time Time Machine needs to create a new backup. I wish there was a way to force Time Machine to do another verify backup as it would then see the 5N and everything would be fine.
Alan
08-05-2016, 02:52 PM
maybe there is a parameter somewhere for timemachine (such as a timeout value that could be increased for when it is locating a backup location)

08-25-2016, 08:32 PM
I'm not sure that this suggestion would help, but I am curious if you are mounting the Time Machine share using the Drobo Desktop. I started out doing so, but that technique became unreliable for me. Actually, I never mount any of my Drobo Shares using the Drobo Desktop, but rather, I mount the Shares directly in Finder. There are knowledge base articles concerning the technique, but to summarize, from the Finder Menu, click the "Go" menu and select "Connect to Server..." at the bottom of the Menu. For the Server Address, use the "AFP" protocol for Time Machine (as of macOS 10.11 El Capitan, Time Machine still requires AFP and will not work with SMB)

afp://<Your_Drobo_5N_Name>.local/<Your_Time_Machine_Share_Name>

Then click "Connect". You may be prompted for a User Name (example: Admin) and Password (Admin's Drobo Password)
Once the Share is mounted, open the Time Machine Preference Panel, click "Add or Remove Backup Disk" and select your Share from the list --- do this even if the share already appears above the "Add or Remove Backup Disk" entry, i.e. reselect the share. Again, you may be prompted by macOS to reenter the User Name and Password for the Share. The Share should be listed with the Time Machine Volumes, and backups should work properly. There may be times when macOS notifies you that for reliability, the backup must be recreated, but in my experience, this is not a frequent occurrence, but occurs after many months of uneventful backing up.

I hope that this suggestion can help with your troubles.
05-11-2017, 02:12 PM
(08-25-2016 08:32 PM)sboydman Wrote:  I'm not sure that this suggestion would help, but I am curious if you are mounting the Time Machine share using the Drobo Desktop. I started out doing so, but that technique became unreliable for me. Actually, I never mount any of my Drobo Shares using the Drobo Desktop, but rather, I mount the Shares directly in Finder. There are knowledge base articles concerning the technique, but to summarize, from the Finder Menu, click the "Go" menu and select "Connect to Server..." at the bottom of the Menu. For the Server Address, use the "AFP" protocol for Time Machine (as of macOS 10.11 El Capitan, Time Machine still requires AFP and will not work with SMB)

Then click "Connect". You may be prompted for a User Name (example: Admin) and Password (Admin's Drobo Password)
Once the Share is mounted, open the Time Machine Preference Panel, click "Add or Remove Backup Disk" and select your Share from the list --- do this even if the share already appears above the "Add or Remove Backup Disk" entry, i.e. reselect the share. Again, you may be prompted by macOS to reenter the User Name and Password for the Share. The Share should be listed with the Time Machine Volumes, and backups should work properly. There may be times when macOS notifies you that for reliability, the backup must be recreated, but in my experience, this is not a frequent occurrence, but occurs after many months of uneventful backing up.

Sorry this is a reply to an older post, but I was sent a link to this post. I can't seem to connect using that syntax. I'm not really sure what me Drobo name is. All I have on Dashboard is Drobo5N as its name. I use this to connect to the Drobo via Finder afp://<Drobo5N.local/<MBAir> but it doesn't work.
Any ideas.
Alan
05-12-2017, 03:36 PM
(just linking to alans related post, referred to above)
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?

05-13-2017, 08:30 AM
(08-25-2016 08:32 PM)sboydman Wrote:  I'm not sure that this suggestion would help, but I am curious if you are mounting the Time Machine share using the Drobo Desktop. I started out doing so, but that technique became unreliable for me. Actually, I never mount any of my Drobo Shares using the Drobo Desktop, but rather, I mount the Shares directly in Finder. There are knowledge base articles concerning the technique, but to summarize, from the Finder Menu, click the "Go" menu and select "Connect to Server..." at the bottom of the Menu. For the Server Address, use the "AFP" protocol for Time Machine (as of macOS 10.11 El Capitan, Time Machine still requires AFP and will not work with SMB)

Sorry it's been so long but this now works
Thanks
Alan