Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Gen 2 Datapack Migration Question
07-29-2016, 05:06 PM
Gen 2 Datapack Migration Question
I had a Drobo Gen 2 shipped to me and it was damaged in shipment (all internal SATA connectors pulled from the circuit board among other cosmetic damage). I'm cautiously optimistic that the drives are still good and will have access to another Drobo Gen 2 unit early next week.

Unfortunately I can't plug in any drives into the unit due to the SATA connectors being broken and when I attempt to access via the dashboard, as nothing is mounted, it is not showing up on the computer. I was hoping to check firmware date but that does not appear to be a possibility.

Having said all of that, if I plug the drives into the second drobo unit -- assuming the drives are still functional, what risks do I have without knowing the firmware version?

From my understanding, this is the only copy of a lot of this data, so I am concerned about plugging into a new drobo and it erasing the drives.

Definitely not ideal (and it was not my original device -- I am very aware RAID is not a backup and all of that) but hopefully have some sages here that can offer some advice to keep me from doing something that would erase data (assuming of course that it is still intact). I am assuming it was in a good state when powered down prior to shipment.

Thank you!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-29-2016, 06:48 PM
RE: Gen 2 Datapack Migration Question
The best you can hope for is that the old unit was up to date (version 1.4.2 I believe) and make sure your newer unit is updated. Drive functionality is a gamble, but no way to tell for certain without diving in head-first.

Drobo (Gen2)
Drobo 5N
=============================
** Praise the Gods, Do Good, Act Bravely. **
07-29-2016, 10:39 PM
Drobo's have protections against loading disk packs with incompatible firmware. Each disk has some metadata which identifies which disk pack version it is compatible with (and controls pack migration too).

For example, if you plug a 5D pack into a 5N, it will refuse to load the pack; indeed if you took a 5D pack and plugging it into an original Drobo it would also refuse to load the pack.

In these cases, the system would boot with all drive slot LEDs red, and Dashboard would tell you there was incompatible firmware.

The critical thing is not to hot plug disks - when moving to a new unit, insert all the disks before powering on the unit.

Cheers!

Jason
07-30-2016, 07:48 AM
Thank you both for the responses. It has increased my confidence in hopefully accessing this disk pack. I'll proceed as follows:
- Get 2nd unit and update to latest firmware (if it is not already on 1.4.2)
- Shut down (power off unit)
- Plug in disk pack
- Start up
- Hopefully it comes back online and I can move forward from there Smile
07-31-2016, 12:12 PM
hi jtoon, it may be good to add 1 more step after completing the firmware update process...

which is just to add an additional shutdown and restart process (just to reconfirm that the new firmware is ok and drobo is valid in dashboard), before continuing with your power off the unit steps...

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)