Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drobo 5D USB issues - no mounting, hangs PC, no other USB devices can load
07-22-2016, 09:44 AM (This post was last modified: 07-22-2016 09:47 AM by benjamin84.)
Drobo 5D USB issues - no mounting, hangs PC, no other USB devices can load
Greetings all!

I have had my Drobo 5D running for a good few years, and apart from it never really behaving well on USB 3.0, it has been fine.

Today I got a new PC (Windows 10 pro, same as my old PC), powered it up, installed the Drobo Dashboard software, and hooked up my Drobo. No connection to Dashboard, and no mount in windows, although it does show up in device manager.

Hooked it up to the old PC, same story. Tried a restart with the drobo attached, and the PC hangs until I disconnect it. Same for startup, and same on both new and old machine. Tried swapping the cable for a new one, no difference. Tried updating the Drobo firmware, made no difference.

Left it hooked up to the old machine for a while, and suddenly it connected. Took a backup while I had the chance, and then decided to see if a restart would work. Got a memory error from Dashboard during shut down (The instruction at 0x000... referenced memory at 0x000... The memory could not be read.). Tried hooking up to the new PC, waited a while (5.10 minutes), and it connected. Same error upon restart.

If I try starting the machine with the Drobo connected it will either hang during boot, or load to windows but not load in any other USB devices (mouse and keyboard included). Have tried connecting to USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports, no difference.

I am afraid I am out of ideas. What could be wrong with my Drobo, and is there anything I can do to fix it?
I see the post above was a bit messy, to summarise:

Issues
- Won't show up in explorer or dashboard, but shows up in device manager
- May show up in explorer and dashboard after an extended (5-10 minute) wait
- Won't allow PC to restart properly, Application Error with memory error from Dashboard.
- Won't allow PC to boot properly if attached, hangs either during boot (before windows loads) or:
- Won't allow other USB devices to connect if Drobo is connected during startup.

Stuff I have tried
- New USB 3.0 cable. No difference to behaviour.
- New firmware for Drobo. No difference to behaviour.
- Connected to different ports, both USB 3.0 and 2.0. No difference to behaviour.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-22-2016, 11:18 AM
RE: Drobo 5D USB issues - no mounting, hangs PC, no other USB devices can load
hi benjamin, from reading your post, a few things spring to mind...

im not sure which version of dashboard you had installed, but it might be worth double checking that you have the latest version of dashboard, for example as shown here?
http://www.drobo.com/start/start-5d/

if you already have the latest version, then what happens if you right-click on it, and run it with admin privileges?

also, could you try checking in case any windows settings or firewall is blocking dashboard and its service from running?
you could also try checking the services, via start > run > services.msc (or from task manager) just in case the ddservice for dashboard is not running somehow.

another option could be to try shutting down the computer,
and then drobo
and then unplugging the connection cable from drobo.

and then uninstalling dashboard completely from the computer
and reboot the computer
and then to try reinstalling dashboard (but this time via a right-click, run as admin option) (just in case it did not install properly last time)
and then to try rebooting the computer
and then to launch dashboard
and then to connect the drobo to the computer and to power up the drobo

how do things go after those benjamin?

btw can you remember approximately how much used space and free space is on your drobo, and also what the drive bay lights are showing (and other power or blue led lights)?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
11-01-2016, 09:17 PM
Wondering if any new updates on this issue. I recently upgraded to Win10 and experienced same problems. Called Microsoft and was told my mother board wasn't support on Win10

So today I updated my mother board, CPU to some of the most recent hardware. Plugged my Drobo 5D into the USB 3.0 port and it refused to connect. I plugged it into a USB 2.0 port and it attached.
11-02-2016, 08:01 PM
hi john, its good that your drobo works fine with usb2, in the sense that it appears all is ok with the actual drobo...
there is a knowledgebase article with lots of info about usb3 that might help though, which can be found here:
https://myproducts.drobo.com/article/AA-01339

generally speaking, whenever i have had any usb problems, a good test is to try another cable (just in case) or another usb3 port (such as on a different or friends computer), and to also try shutting all down, and leaving the power off for about 5-10mins and then restarting things (in case a port became locked).

i never managed to get my drobo-s working with esata (i think it was down to motherboard drivers or similar which i didnt really need to delve into), but maybe that linked page can help you a bit?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)