Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 2 Average
Video playback stutters after firmware update
11-29-2016, 10:29 AM (This post was last modified: 11-29-2016 10:30 AM by SpiceWare.)
RE: Video playback stutters after firmware update
Past couple of nights I've used "Open in Quicktime" to watch a number of The X-Files and Star Trek episodes that I've ripped off my blu-rays - no stutter. Also tried playing the same episodes in iTunes and saw stutter right away.

Next couple of nights I plan to watch recorded shows via EyeTV to confirm the stutter's cleared up there.

Don't use Spotify, my music library's 181 GB so I don't see any point in paying for a streaming music service.

Killjoys is definitely a fun show, looking forward to season 3. The Expanse is another favorite of mine.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-30-2016, 03:33 PM
oh you might be onto something there - have you checked all possible settings in itunes, just in case there is some setting or checkbox enabled, that is somehow causing itunes to do any extra work, such as postprocessing, or interlacing or some other aspect ratio change... maybe it is trying to to some extra processing on the fly in real time?

(btw if you like those you might like dark matter too)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
Find all posts by this user
12-02-2016, 10:18 AM
Been watching recorded TV shows the past couple of nights and everything's fine now in EyeTV, so at least that's fixed. Wonder if that cleared up due to reformatting as a 64 TB volume or one of the firmware updates.

I just did a quick review of the settings in iTunes, didn't see anything for interlacing, aspect ratio, etc. Will look into it in more depth later.

I've been monitoring the remaining 6TB drive and haven't encountered a "healed" or "warning" status, so last week I replaced the 3TB with the last 8 TB drive. So my Drobo now sporting 3x 8TB, 4TB and 6TB drives with Dual Disk Redundancy turned on, netting 16.25TB of storage of which I'm currently using half. Who knows, maybe removing the last 3TB drive helped clear up EyeTV's stutter (ie: maybe 3 and 8 TB drives were too mismatched in seeking times/throughput/etc and the differences were impacting transfer rates).

Dark Matter's on my list of shows to check out, just haven't gotten around to it yet. I recently bought an Amazon FireTV and started in on Orphan Black as it's one of the series available in 4K. That's been a really interesting show. Nice to see Matt Frewer in it, I've liked his stuff since Max Headroom.
12-02-2016, 04:46 PM
cool spiceware, hopefully things continue being fine for you, (and will seem to be the case, unless we somehow reach page 5 before xmas Smile

(i hear blacklist is pretty good too)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
02-02-2017, 12:59 PM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2017 01:13 PM by SpiceWare.)
I finally broke down and figured out enough about AppleScript to write this which finds the selected video in iTunes, launches and plays it full-screen via QuickTime, then marks the episode in iTunes as "watched"
Code:
tell application "iTunes"

if selection is not {} then
        set sel to selection
    else
        display dialog "Select some video or movie tracks first..." buttons {"Cancel"} default button 1 with icon 2 giving up after 15
    end if

repeat with this_vid in sel
        set kin to kind of this_vid
        if kin contains "video" or kin contains "movie" then
            my open_in_qt({get name of this_vid, get location of this_vid})

-- this by itself results in half-circle (partially watched) in iTunes            
            set unplayed of this_vid to false

set played count of this_vid to 1
        end if
    end repeat

end tell

to open_in_qt({nom, loc})

tell application "QuickTime Player"
        activate
        open loc
        play the front document

-- this makes it go full screen
        set presenting of document 1 to true

end tell
end open_in_qt

I used to use iDentify to tag my ripped DVD and blu-ray content. My process was:
  1. rip content on Mac Pro
  2. Tag content on Mac Pro
  3. transfer content to mini
  4. add content to iTunes on mini

When I upgraded my Mac Pro to Sierra I discovered iDentify would no longer run and that the programmer had abandoned the project. So I left my mini running El Capitan and changed my process to:
  1. rip content on Mac Pro
  2. transfer content to mini
  3. Tag content on mini
  4. add content to iTunes on mini

then started to look for a replacement for iDentify. Two days after finishing the above script, I finally found the program Subler. Subler's not as easy to use as iDentify, but is functional.

So I was finally able update the mini to Sierra, and the stuttery playback in iTunes went away.
02-03-2017, 03:33 PM
nice one spiceware