Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 2 Average
Video playback stutters after firmware update
08-24-2016, 06:25 PM
RE: Video playback stutters after firmware update
as doc chris mentions, do try to hang on some more, just to let any internal optimisations complete (in case they are still running in the background)

i think dochris was able to stream directly multiple bluray quality files at a time, and i certainly have had no issues using my directly attached drobos (ranging from gen1 to 5d) directly playing media files on a computer.

as a general rule of thumb (for me at least) Smile i would take the slowest average time of an older model as a base reference, and to wait at least that amount of time, before trying some more playback tests... for example,
if you take how much data you have on your drobo currently, in TB, and allow for 1TB of data per day.. that may do the trick for you. (hopefully)

do have any more info about the media file(s) in question, for example ones that used to work before and are currently not working as they were.. in terms of video bitrate, filesize, codecs and resolution?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-25-2016, 09:17 AM (This post was last modified: 08-25-2016 09:20 AM by SpiceWare.)
Hang on some more? I did the firmware update over 7 weeks ago, the Mac mini it's connected to is powered up 24 hours per day and is idle the vast majority of the time. Any internal optimization would have finished weeks ago.

I never experienced stutter before the firmware update.

All video files I play back experience stutter if I play them back from the Drobo. If I copy those same files to the mini's stock laptop drive, they play back just fine from there.

These files include MPEG 2 broadcasts, iTunes purchases in 1080p, as well as NTSC, PAL, and HD content I've ripped off my own discs. A few examples that I've watched in the past couple of days:
  • Ripped NTSC WKRP episode, 627x480 at 2240 kbps
  • Ripped PAL Red Dwarf episode, 742x574 at 2343 kbps
  • iTunes Killjoys episode, 1920x1080 at 5468 kbps
  • recorded episode of The Flash, 1920x1080 at 80.66 Mbit/s

As an aside, PAL content looks awesome when viewed on an HDTV.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-26-2016, 12:05 PM (This post was last modified: 08-26-2016 12:07 PM by Paul.)
ah yes i wasnt sure how much data you had though i guess those optimisations should have finished by now...

ideally, things would continue to work fine for you after any updates etc, though would you be able to try a few things as a test if you get a moment?

1) what happens if you try disconnecting from the internet, and close down any mac programs that would usually access data on the drobo, such as itunes, or spotlight indexing and things like that.
(does that make any difference at all?)

2a) if you look in dashboard, can you see any changes being made to the used space / free space on the drobo?
2b) could you also then try closing down dashboard

3) im not sure about macs, though does it give you an with regards to how to mount it? (for example some of the nas models were connecting via smb or afp, and some connection methods were quicker than others)

4) it might be worth running dashboard again and generating some diagnostic logs for the support team, just in case it shows something that is still taking place (and possibly why it might be still taking place)?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
08-27-2016, 07:18 PM
Most of the time when I sit down to watch something I'll get the busy pointer after selecting content as the Mac has to wait for the Drobo to spin up the drives, so its unlikely anything's accessing the Drobo behind the scenes. The only time I don't get the busy pointer is if EyeTV was recording a show off a local channel (which gets saved to the Drobo). I did try deselecting the "Disk Drive Spindown" in settings, but it didn't make a difference.

The status at the bottom of the Drobo Dashboard shows "Drobo is healthy". I've seen other messages there in the past when I'm adding a new drive such as "Yellow Warning. Drobo is running low on protected space" and "Data protection is in progress" after inserting the new drive. I'm not in the habit of leaving Dashboard running.

The Drobo's connected via Thunderbolt, though I did try USB 3.0 which made the problem worse. Those are the only options for connecting a 5D.

I generated the logs, I see this in the current DDDiags*.log:
Code:
StatusColor: Green
LastUpdateTime: 0
DualDiskRedundancyUpgradeInProgress: 0
DriveAdded: -1
DriveRemoved: -1
PercentUsed: 68
SlotCount: 5
UsedSlotCount: 5
UpdateInProgress: 0
FormatInProgress: 0
RestartInProgress: 0
VolumeManagementInProgress: 0

As a programmer I know 0 is false, so it's not doing an upgrade, update, etc.

In the TMDiags logs I see time & date stamped messages, some of which could be pertinent such as:
Code:
TM: 0x70000073b000 08\23 21:44:03 Error - NetSocket::Send: got error 32 sending data
TM: 0x70000073b000 08\23 21:44:03 Error - DDClientProxy::RebroadcastUpdate - Error sending to client.  Client died

Been busy the past few days, not sure if that's when I last watched something or not. I'm about to though, so I'll make note of when I encounter stutter and then generate new logs to see if anything jumps out at me.

Thanks!
08-29-2016, 02:18 PM
ok thanks spicewre,

09-09-2016, 12:30 PM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2016 01:04 PM by SpiceWare.)
Stutter seemed to have cleared up, but while watching a ripped PAL episode of classic Doctor Who on my lunch break (I work from home) it returned with a vengeance.

I ran diagnostics and see some interesting things in there.

In system.log I see a whole bunch of messages during the 30 minute's I was watching the show that appear to correspond to the stutter:
Code:
Sep  9 12:10:50 TV-Mac-mini iTunes[30848]: <<<< FigByteStream >>>> FigByteStreamStatsLogOneRead: ByteStream read of 262144 bytes @ 30408704 took 1.054060 secs. to complete, 1 reads >= 1 sec.
Sep  9 12:11:24 TV-Mac-mini iTunes[30848]: <<<< FigByteStream >>>> FigByteStreamStatsLogOneRead: ByteStream read of 262144 bytes @ 37486592 took 1.627462 secs. to complete, 2 reads >= 1 sec.
Sep  9 12:37:54 TV-Mac-mini iTunes[30848]: <<<< FigByteStream >>>> FigByteStreamStatsLogOneRead: ByteStream read of 262144 bytes @ 369623040 took 1.340812 secs. to complete, 38 reads >= 1 sec.
Sep  9 12:39:00 TV-Mac-mini iTunes[30848]: <<<< FigByteStream >>>> FigByteStreamStatsLogOneRead: ByteStream read of 262144 bytes @ 383778816 took 1.526264 secs. to complete, 39 reads >= 1 sec.

In DDDiags_2016-09-09_12-39.log one of the 6 T B drives has an error count of 4, and a disk state of 0x11 (other drives have 0x10, the SSD cache has 0x20). Viewed via the Drobo Dashboard that drive has a status of "Healed".

I suspect that 6 TB drive is failing. Anyway I need to get back to work, so will look into it more this evening. If anybody cares to take a look at the logs I've put them on my site.
I went ahead and ordered an 8TB drive to replace that 6 TB drive. It should arrive Sunday.
09-09-2016, 01:32 PM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2016 01:33 PM by Paul.)
hi, if you saw a healed then yes that would indicate that the drive had some problems that drobo was able to recover from but it could be a potential culprit.

you may already be aware that the 8TB smr drives from seagate (archive) drives are not compatible, just in case it was one of those you got.

btw, how is your time machine backup configured, and often are your time machine backups? am just wondering if they interact with the drobo or might also be related in some way to the stutter.

09-09-2016, 03:07 PM
I ordered a WD Red. Hadn't realized the 8TB was out, was going to get another 6TB.

I use a Time Capsule on my network for Time Machine, not the Drobo. The Drobo does not get backed up as it holds media that can be obtained elsewhere, namely downloaded again from iTunes or off the original DVDs/Blu-rays. Only thing I risk losing are TV recordings that I delete after watching.
09-11-2016, 02:37 PM
The 8TB drive arrived this morning. I let it sit on the counter for a while to become room temperature (it's hot here in Houston Big Grin) then popped it in before I headed out for lunch with my folks.

Just checked and there's about 27 hours left for Data Protection to finish, though I'm sure that's on the high end as EyeTV started recording a show (saved to the Drobo) a half hour ago.

I don't recall if I mentioned it before, but I do have Dual Disk Redundancy turned on in order to decrease the odds of ever having to re-rip my media.

If this solves my stutter problem I'll be picking up a 5Dt for my Mac Pro. I'll temporarily hook it up to the Mini so I can move my media over to it, reformat the 5D as a 64 TB volume, then move the media back.
09-12-2016, 05:39 PM
ok cool, fingers crossed it does the trick