Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
64 TB volume size for Drobo Generation 3?
07-08-2016, 06:55 AM
64 TB volume size for Drobo Generation 3?
As I understand, seven out of the eight current products now support a volume size of 64 TB.

This makes me wonder if and when there are any plans to implement a 64 TB volume size for Drobo generation 3?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-08-2016, 11:20 AM
RE: 64 TB volume size for Drobo Generation 3?
hi patrikm2 it could be possible (unless of an actual hardware limitation somehow) though i guess if is it on the way that at least we have some more time until it is actually needed, (for example when viable drives larger than 8TB become available).

btw do you have one at the moment, or were you thinking of getting a gen3 or another model depending on the larger future support?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
07-09-2016, 11:32 AM
Yes, I do have a new Drobo 3rd gen which I haven't loaded any disks into yet. It's a replacement for my old Drobo 2nd gen which is getting kind of old (2009), and I don't really trust hardware which is older than seven years.

It would be nice to be able to create a whole 64 TB volume instead of a small 16 TB volume right away, so I don't have to re-create it later.

I also try to avoid it creating two 16 TB volumes, which will happen if I load it with 2 x 6TB + 2 x 8TB HD's.
07-11-2016, 02:53 PM
thanks for the info patrikm2, that is a good point about hardware.
i guess anything mechanical has a wear and tear factor (though with some of the solid state drives/memory sticks, even those are failing with cell charge states etc and those dont have any parts moving) Smile

as im not sure about any definite plans or dates about 64TB, its best to watch this thread as others may know, but one thing to bear in mind is that if your gen2 is getting on, it may be worth setting up the gen3 and copying the data (even as a backup) sooner rather than later.

also on an interesting note, (and while only according to 1 website storage vendor) its still pretty useful, is that i found out that a particular make and model of drives i was using (and still am using some) in my drobos, is the wd10eads, which seem to have an average lifespan of about 4.4 years according to here:
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-driv...https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-temperature-does-
(i borrowed the link from jasonob i believe Smile and it has more info about other makes of drives too, which might be useful to bear in mind)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
07-16-2016, 01:25 AM
Interesting article. I've bought a couple of WD Red 8 TB which I'm quite happy with. They are very quit and keep very low temperatures.

Maybe someone from Drobo reads these posts and can answer if 64 TB volume size is in the pipeline for the Drobo 3rd generation? As I mentioned earlier, it's the only unit from Drobo in production which still doesn't support 64 TB volume size.
07-21-2016, 01:23 PM
(07-11-2016 02:53 PM)Paul Wrote:  also on an interesting note, (and while only according to 1 website storage vendor) its still pretty useful, is that i found out that a particular make and model of drives i was using (and still am using some) in my drobos, is the wd10eads, which seem to have an average lifespan of about 4.4 years according to here:
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-driv...https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-temperature-does-
(i borrowed the link from jasonob i believe Smile and it has more info about other makes of drives too, which might be useful to bear in mind)

That is the average lifespan of the drives that have failed, which is not a particularly useful piece of data without knowing the overall failure rates. The average life of the WD Reds shown is very short. That could be because they have a lot of reds that have never failed (possibly because they are too new), because they have very few reds in their drive pool, or a combination of both. It is probably not an indicator that the average lifespan of a red is very low. Some failures are just infant mortality and not affected by any outside influence, while others are; and they do not seem to have excluded those types of premature failures. There should also be a caveat (which can be seen from the data presented, but is unstated), that they are talking only about temperatures that are within the manufacturer's recommended operating range.

But we digress from the subject line topic. I would have posted this under the other topic, but it's already closed.
07-22-2016, 11:59 AM
thanks sandshark, you are right its just according to 1 website storage vendor and in their particular context.

07-23-2016, 10:29 AM
(07-09-2016 11:32 AM)patrikm2 Wrote:  I also try to avoid it creating two 16 TB volumes, which will happen if I load it with 2 x 6TB + 2 x 8TB HD's.

I hate to be a wet blanket, but 20TB in single-parity RAID with slow rebuild scares the bejabbers out of me. When Drobo rebuilds, it puts maximum stress on the remaining drives. Suppose there are 16TB of data when a drive fails, that's, what...two weeks of continuous hammering on the remaining 3 drives? In that situation, any error would fail the array.
I know, I know, the Gen3 is a great price and 8-bay appliances are much more expensive. I guess it will be fine as long as you're prepared to recover from backup any time you blow a drive. I rsync my DroboPro to independent SATA drives every week or two in case the chassis pops off.

alter ego of rdo
DroboPro and various other stuff
08-19-2016, 09:57 AM
thats a good point by rdo, and reminds me i need to revisit my backups and strategy to sort out some more backups.

(btw wet blankets are also useful, such as putting out a fire or to cool you down) Smile