Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Low on Protected Space Warning
06-17-2016, 09:16 AM
Low on Protected Space Warning
[size=large]I'm a bit confused. My Drobo Dashboard says I've used up 10.2 TB and only have 651GB of free space left. My Mac running 10.11.5 says I've only used up 2.4TB, which makes sense because there's hardly anything in there. So why am I getting a low protected space warning when I should have at least 6TB available[/size]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-18-2016, 09:35 AM (This post was last modified: 06-18-2016 09:38 AM by Paul.)
RE: Low on Protected Space Warning

hi alex,

would you be able to post back some more info when you get a chance about the following areas, such as:

- how many hard drives you have in your drobo, and the sizings
- and if you are using single (SDR) or dual (DDR) drive redundancy?
- how many drobo volumes can you see
- and if possible, could you take some screenshots and to upload them to imgur or similar. (though if you do, please remember to rub out any sensitive info/serial numbers to play safe etc)

drobos do have a certain threshold regarding the % of free space remaining (such as for triggering different drive bay lights or messages when reaching a particular % of usage, like 85% or 95%).

Sometimes the amount of space that the remaining percentage makes up, can seem quite high, especially when the total capacity increases, (though all relative) - but it could be something else too...

can i check as you are on a mac too, if you created any other volumes such as for time machine?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply