Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Gen2 Drobo Data Protection
05-04-2016, 08:37 AM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2016 08:37 AM by ryancurran.)
Lightbulb Gen2 Drobo Data Protection
Greetings,

I know my unit is extremely old but it has held up pretty well over the years. The only reoccurring issue I seem to experience is whenever I power off the drobo for an extended period of time, and actually physically move the unit (not sure if this is relevant), data protection kicks in.

This only happens maybe once every year or two, but I'm curious as to what might be causing this issue or if there's anything i can do to prevent it from happening in the future.

Again doesn't seem to happen when the unit is stationary and constantly connected to power etc, which is the case 99% of the time.

Just curious, thanks in advance

R
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2016, 01:23 PM
RE: Gen2 Drobo Data Protection
Cold be a drive working loose. Make sure the drives are fully seated (push them in) before your power it back up.

Drobo (Gen2)
Drobo 5N
=============================
** Praise the Gods, Do Good, Act Bravely. **
05-04-2016, 02:40 PM
IIRC, some Gen2's had an issue with the actual backplane working loose with removal/reinsertion of drives.

If you are feeling bold, I believe you can tear it down, tighten the backplane screws and resolve (that) problem permanently.

i7 Mac Mini Server, 10.10
Drobo (Gen2), USB, 4x WD 4TB RED

Drobo (Gen3), USB3, 4X WD 4TB RED

Drobo 5D, TB, 5x WD 4TB RED, 120GB Intel 525 mSATA SSD
05-05-2016, 08:43 PM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2016 08:44 PM by Paul.)
hi, i was just wondering what happens if you had the unit powered off for the same duration, (but without touching or moving it at all) and then simply powering it back up - does it still go into data protection mode?

(if so, then maybe an algorithm is self checking the unit after a longer downtime, or possibly a drive is a bit slow to power up or boot up in some way, especially if the rebuild is a full rebuild, such as taking about 1day per 1TB of data that you have?)
btw mgriffin, thats good news about the backplane - as i thougt usually if the backplane breaks its not so good

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
05-06-2016, 06:20 AM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2016 06:25 AM by ryancurran.)
(05-04-2016 01:23 PM)AzDragonLord Wrote:  Cold be a drive working loose. Make sure the drives are fully seated (push them in) before your power it back up.

Thank you for the tip. Should I just give each drive an extra push, or would you reseat each drive?
(05-04-2016 02:40 PM)mgriffin34 Wrote:  IIRC, some Gen2's had an issue with the actual backplane working loose with removal/reinsertion of drives.

If you are feeling bold, I believe you can tear it down, tighten the backplane screws and resolve (that) problem permanently.

Great, is there any guide for this you know of? Or is it fairly simple?
(05-05-2016 08:43 PM)Paul Wrote:  hi, i was just wondering what happens if you had the unit powered off for the same duration, (but without touching or moving it at all) and then simply powering it back up - does it still go into data protection mode?

(if so, then maybe an algorithm is self checking the unit after a longer downtime, or possibly a drive is a bit slow to power up or boot up in some way, especially if the rebuild is a full rebuild, such as taking about 1day per 1TB of data that you have?)
btw mgriffin, thats good news about the backplane - as i thougt usually if the backplane breaks its not so good

Good question. I'm not sure but at this point I don't want to go through another 10 day rebuild to find out Smile Appreciate the tip
05-08-2016, 04:24 PM
(05-06-2016 06:20 AM)ryancurran Wrote:  
(05-04-2016 01:23 PM)AzDragonLord Wrote:  Cold be a drive working loose. Make sure the drives are fully seated (push them in) before your power it back up.

Thank you for the tip. Should I just give each drive an extra push, or would you reseat each drive?
(05-04-2016 02:40 PM)mgriffin34 Wrote:  IIRC, some Gen2's had an issue with the actual backplane working loose with removal/reinsertion of drives.

Great, is there any guide for this you know of? Or is it fairly simple?
(05-05-2016 08:43 PM)Paul Wrote:  hi, i was just wondering what happens if you had the unit powered off for the same duration, (but without touching or moving it at all) and then simply powering it back up - does it still go into data protection mode?

Good question. I'm not sure but at this point I don't want to go through another 10 day rebuild to find out Smile Appreciate the tip

It was a thread on this board many moons ago.

i7 Mac Mini Server, 10.10
Drobo (Gen2), USB, 4x WD 4TB RED

Drobo (Gen3), USB3, 4X WD 4TB RED

Drobo 5D, TB, 5x WD 4TB RED, 120GB Intel 525 mSATA SSD
05-09-2016, 12:57 PM
ok ryan, please let us know how things go...
i usually would power off, eject a drive (not completely, even just halfway is ok ,and then to firmly push it back into the slot with the ejector clip "helped" back into position, though dragon may have a particular method though)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
05-09-2016, 01:03 PM
Simply pressing them in should suffice, but it would not hurt to eject/reseat.

Drobo (Gen2)
Drobo 5N
=============================
** Praise the Gods, Do Good, Act Bravely. **
05-20-2016, 09:09 AM
Thanks everyone!