Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
5d5 checksum inconsistent
04-21-2016, 11:40 AM
5d5 checksum inconsistent
I have 2 drobo5d's that both exhibit a bizarre behaviour.
via either usb or thunderbolt, copy a 2 gb file to the drobo.
run the md5 checksum utility on it-
md5 /drobo5d/big_huge_file.iso
you get checksum-XXXXXXXXXX
run md5 again on the same file, you get a different checksum.
run again? different checksum

This is true for all large files on both drobo's. if you check smaller files 1-10mb- sometimes you get corruption sometimes you don't.

anyone else seen this and what is going on ?

I'm guessing bad controller hardware or bad ram on the drobo itself?

Files on other disks do not exhibit this issue, sadly, it has corrupted TB's of source footage.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-21-2016, 03:48 PM
RE: 5d5 checksum inconsistent
hi, would you be able to try a similar test using quickpar if you get a chance please?
it would be interesting to see how the quick par verification compares (both with a forced refresh on the same file in the same location, but also compared with the same file on both drobos tested with the same parity set)

i think the only time i have seen erroneous blocks was when i copied from drobo to usb stick (or from my computer to usb stick) and when i copied from the usb stick to another computer (or a drobo) but this was becuase the usb stick had faulty/failiing cells.... (i still have that usb stick, but as a basic transfer usb so i always try to create say 5% extra parity to cater for the failing blocks)

(i did have some corruption happen when i "moved" files off a camera simcard to another location drobo and computer, but that before i learned the lesson to never move off those cards, and to instead, copy paste and verify)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply