Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING
10-27-2016, 05:31 PM
RE: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING
Just an update for everyone. I've had some back and forth with Drobo support. One agent did ask if I had a copy of Disk Warrior. When I said no, he said he would see if their company could provide me with a copy. However, I received this reply from another agent today. This agent is essentially blaming the problem I am having as a Mac-issue, a file system corruption that has to do with my computer, rather than the Drobo unit...

If Mac OS Disk Utility is not able to repair you will need a stronger version of Disk Utility - Disk Warrior. - as the previous agent recommended.

Please understand, File System Corruption is not a Drobo only issue, this can happen on any Mac HFS volume, internal or external. File System Corruption is caused by:

- Unexpected Power outages

- Improper shutdowns

- Host crashes

There is no warning for file system corruption, this is something that cannot be pre-detected. We do recommend you purchase Disk Warrior to gain access to your files. Disk Warrior works with any HFS volume and Alsoft has been in business for the last 20 years, this is a good piece of software for all Mac owners to have, this software specifically addresses File System Corruption on Mac's. I am sorry you encountered this. Drobo does not have a copy of this software that we can provide to you.

Well, I just purchased Disk Warrior. My Drobo's directory was rebuilt very easily and quickly. the whole process with Disk Warrior was extremely straightforward. Now, my Drobo is right back to working again and mounted on my desktop. However, it has cost me $133!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-28-2016, 04:49 PM
ah aside from the 133 i am very glad to hear that you got things all working again kencheung,

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
10-29-2016, 10:07 PM (This post was last modified: 10-29-2016 10:13 PM by AKThom.)
After reading through this forum about all the other people that have this same problem, I bought Disk Warrior and my problem is fixed. Mine was slightly different though as I had a partition on my Drobo G3 for TimeMachine backups and that was completely intact. it was all the stuff I'd stored on the primary partition. It took Disk Warrior about 3 minutes to fix the problem and return access to the drive. I have copied all the stuff to another external drive and once that's complete, I'm going to format the Drobo and set up a larger partition for backups.
Best wishes for satisfactory results with your's.

(03-20-2016 08:17 AM)alfred0 Wrote:  Hi,

My GEN 3 is not mounting. Apparently Its an Issue with the USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11. How can this be fixed?

Im having this issue on a new Mac as its worked fine the last 2 years on my older Mac and still works.

Thanks

Just don't buy anything by Smartstor. They abandoned Mac users several years ago on the DS4600 product even though Apple was selling them on their web site. It still works on a PC but won't mount on a Mac OS product.

(07-02-2016 07:39 AM)jfomelia Wrote:  Has anyone found a solution to this other than spending $120 on DiskWarrior? When I bought my Drobo last fall I didn't see any disclaimer warning me that if I owned a Mac I would need to purchase Disk Warrior.

Having gotten that off my chest, this is the second time in a month this has happened. The first time I used data rescue to extract my data, formatted the drive and then put the data back on. This time I realized I have Drive Genius which has a rebuild tool. I run it, it tells me it was rebuilt successfully but it still fails to mount. When I run a repair i'm still told there is invalid content in the journal. Will DiskWarrior succeed where Drive Genius failed?

Last, is this just a Drobo issue? Do Synology or other NAS/Raid solutions have this problem? If it's just Drobo, I sell my Drobo to a Windows person and go buy something else.
10-30-2016, 03:18 PM
(10-27-2016 05:31 PM)kencheung Wrote:  Just an update for everyone. I've had some back and forth with Drobo support. One agent did ask if I had a copy of Disk Warrior. When I said no, he said he would see if their company could provide me with a copy. However, I received this reply from another agent today. This agent is essentially blaming the problem I am having as a Mac-issue, a file system corruption that has to do with my computer, rather than the Drobo unit...

If Mac OS Disk Utility is not able to repair you will need a stronger version of Disk Utility - Disk Warrior. - as the previous agent recommended.

Please understand, File System Corruption is not a Drobo only issue, this can happen on any Mac HFS volume, internal or external. File System Corruption is caused by:

- Unexpected Power outages

- Improper shutdowns

- Host crashes

There is no warning for file system corruption, this is something that cannot be pre-detected. We do recommend you purchase Disk Warrior to gain access to your files. Disk Warrior works with any HFS volume and Alsoft has been in business for the last 20 years, this is a good piece of software for all Mac owners to have, this software specifically addresses File System Corruption on Mac's. I am sorry you encountered this. Drobo does not have a copy of this software that we can provide to you.

Well, I just purchased Disk Warrior. My Drobo's directory was rebuilt very easily and quickly. the whole process with Disk Warrior was extremely straightforward. Now, my Drobo is right back to working again and mounted on my desktop. However, it has cost me $133!

+1 had the same issue all of the sudden, had to buy Disk Warrior *****but at least i can access my stuff again. very frustrating.

do you think Drobo should pick up the tab for this?? they're aware of this issue.. the tech didn't take long to suggest i purchase Disk Warrior, and after searching online it appears to be widespread...

rick
10-31-2016, 09:07 PM
hi rick and akthom ,im honestly glad that you were able to fix things with diskwarrior, as getting access to data is always good.

generally speaking, and as far as i know though, diskwarrior has been around for many many years, (possibly even twice as long as drobo) and the main reason it got a good reputation for fixing mac filesystem issues, was because the mac was having lots of those issues, even for other basic drives or other devices overall.

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
11-03-2016, 12:15 AM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2016 12:26 AM by AKThom.)
(10-25-2016 08:23 PM)AKThom Wrote:  Add me to the list of the broken hearted. I have an older iMac with only USB 2.0. The same thing has happened to me but I'm not sure if it disappeared with El Capitan or Sierra. I have a partition on the Drobo G3 for my Time Machine backup and that's still intact and mounting. But the main partition where I had a bunch of video files is not mounting. Anyone know if I can pull each drive out and access what's on it to make a copy over to another external? Mine is formatted HFS so I'm hoping not all is lost. That's why I own a Drobo. Several years ago I owned another NAS unit from another company that Apple advertises in their store. A year later the company stopped supporting said device for Mac OS. It works fine in Windows and I was able to get everything off of it before turning it into a boat anchor. Hopefully Drobo will come up with a solution.

I broke down and purchased Disk Warrior. It fixed my problem and a week later no further instances. I will in the future use the Drobo app to shut down the Drobo Gen 3. I suspect somehow my directory structure became corrupt and disk warrior fixed that. I am moving all the data on my Drobo off to an external drive. My plan is to reformat all 4 drives, make 2 partitions and use the biggest for Time Machine. I'll see how that goes for the future. Best wishes to everyone else with this problem.

iMac 27" 2010 2.66 GHz Quadcore i5, MAC OS Sierra, and others
11-07-2016, 11:53 AM

+1 had the same issue all of the sudden, had to buy Disk Warrior *****but at least i can access my stuff again. very frustrating.

do you think Drobo should pick up the tab for this?? they're aware of this issue.. the tech didn't take long to suggest i purchase Disk Warrior, and after searching online it appears to be widespread...

rick

Just an update. Diskwarrior made my Drobo accessible again (that was about a week ago). However, there are still problems with the Drobo as there has been intermittent episodes (ever since the problem cropped up) where the Drobo was once again, not seen with Finder. There also seems to be some indications of continued or recurring problems. Fortunately, Diskwarrior has worked on each occasion to get my Drobo working again. However, my distrust of it has made me go out and purchase a 4TB external HD to back up everything on the Drobo in case something happens. As well, once everything is backed up, I will erase and reformat the Drobo and move everything back onto it. Don't know if that will fix the issue.

Of course, Drobo Support blames the file/directory corruption issue on the Mac OS itself. From this forum board, it certainly seems like quite a few people have experienced this problem. But objectively, it is hard to quantify. How many people own this Drobo unit? How many use it with a Mac. And of these users, how many have encountered this problem? Is this a "widespread" problem? Hard to say.
11-07-2016, 06:45 PM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2016 06:46 PM by Paul.)
hi kencheung, do you have any more info about your computers power-settings?
for example, are there any sleep-related, or power napping/saving modes being used?

maybe a good test, for the next 3 days, could be the following?
0 - to use a direct cable connection from drobo to the computer (without any adapters etc in case you were)
1 - to use dashboard to safely shutdown the drobo at the end of your session/day
2 - to then shutdown the mac
3 - to power up the mac
4 - to power up the drobo, plus dashboard
5 - to use the computer and drobo for your session /day as usual
and then at the end of the day to do step 1 again.

if you do this for 3 days in a row, without any (computer) sleeping or closing of the lid (which can induce power saving mode, or even force quit windows on some laptops), do you still get the problems?

if you do, can you try again with a brand new replacement usb cable (if possible, and/or in another usb port just in case) to see what happens now?

while over the years, i have had some niggles with some of my drobos in some shape or form (including a failed drive), overall, when i do it like that, i never have extra issues, so id be curious to see if the problem still persists... (and then move onto more application analysis etc) - of course, things should just work smoothly at the end of the day, but please do try that out if you get a chance kencheung

11-07-2016, 10:34 PM
(11-07-2016 06:45 PM)Paul Wrote:  hi kencheung, do you have any more info about your computers power-settings?
for example, are there any sleep-related, or power napping/saving modes being used?

maybe a good test, for the next 3 days, could be the following?
0 - to use a direct cable connection from drobo to the computer (without any adapters etc in case you were)
1 - to use dashboard to safely shutdown the drobo at the end of your session/day
2 - to then shutdown the mac
3 - to power up the mac
4 - to power up the drobo, plus dashboard
5 - to use the computer and drobo for your session /day as usual
and then at the end of the day to do step 1 again.

if you do this for 3 days in a row, without any (computer) sleeping or closing of the lid (which can induce power saving mode, or even force quit windows on some laptops), do you still get the problems?

if you do, can you try again with a brand new replacement usb cable (if possible, and/or in another usb port just in case) to see what happens now?

while over the years, i have had some niggles with some of my drobos in some shape or form (including a failed drive), overall, when i do it like that, i never have extra issues, so id be curious to see if the problem still persists... (and then move onto more application analysis etc) - of course, things should just work smoothly at the end of the day, but please do try that out if you get a chance kencheung

Paul,

I do thank you for your suggestions and ideas. I run my Drobo connected directly to my desktop iMac. I have not changed my use or set up of this computer (or the Drobo) in months, if not over the last year. I do not have "sessions" with my Drobo. My iMac goes to sleep (again no changes in the power management settings at all) when I leave it alone. I wake it up when I want to use it. I do not manually ever shut down the computer or reboot it. (Unless some software installation requires it.) I can go weeks without rebooting the iMac. The Drobo has always "just worked". I've never shut it down, turn it on or even have to use Drobo Dashboard.

So all of this new hassle tells me something is wrong. Maybe it's an unlucky "glitch" or maybe these Drobos are having a compatibility issue with OS 10.12? Drobo is "blaming" it as an OS glitch. But I wonder if there is something that has changed with the Drobo and OS compatibility that the company has not acknowledged/addressed or fixed?

Ken
11-09-2016, 05:18 PM (This post was last modified: 11-09-2016 05:18 PM by Paul.)
thanks indeed ken,
sorry if my ideas havent found a perfect fix for you, what you say is certainly possible and perhaps any issues that people have can only help to strengthen the collaboration between all involved companies.

just as a slightly light-hearted way to help get your mind off things for a moment, i have an upcoming Mixed Martial Arts tourney to prepare for... but hey, im not worried about karate, or wingchung, or kung-fu.....

forget all those....
i know kencheung Big Grin