Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING
10-14-2016, 02:33 PM
RE: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING
hi david, hopefully that doesnt happen again to you, though if it did, maybe trying diskutility (or something equivalent in case you happen to have something like diskwarrior for example) could help as a maintenance check, that might get things accessible and mounting again for you, just in case you were not able to try that yet before the reformat.

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-18-2016, 09:47 PM
Sorry. I just came upon this longer thread on this problem that others have reported. I have just posted on another forum here about my experience. Thought I would repost here since it might be more appropriate. Sorry for the duplication.

Essentially the same thing just occurred to me last night.

I'm using a 3rd Gen 4-bay Drobo connected to my iMac via USB. I have been running macOS Sierra ever since it was available from Apple. Everything had been running fine with my Drobo until yesterday. I realized my Drobo wasn't showing in my Finder. Here's what I've tried so far to remount my Drobo:

I thought I would run Drobo Dashboard to check on my unit. Everything checked out. Drobo Dashboard showed the unit was running fine and its health was "Good".

All of the various display lights on the Drobo unit were lit to (the green and blue status lights) indicate the unit was fine.

Then I checked to see if I'm running the latest version of Drobo Dashboard as well as the firmware. I realized there has been a new version of both that has been released. I decided to install/update both in case this was causing my Drobo not to be accessible via Finder.

I updated both the Drobo Dashboard and Drobo firmware, rebooted the computer, and the Drobo unit was still not seen in Finder...

Once again, Drobo Dashboard shows everything is fine. The status lights in front of the Drobo shows it's fine. But the unit won't mount in Finder. I run Disk Utility. In the Disk Utility window, on the left sidebar, it shows a "Drobo Gen3 Media" in black and then indented but in gray, "Drobo". When I do a Disk Utility "First Aid" on "Drobo", it says "First Aid process has failed". The following lines are also displayed in the dialog box: Repairing files system. File system check exit code is 8. Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required. File system verify or repair failed. Operation failed..."

Any idea what is going on? And what else I can try next?

Thanks for any suggestion.
10-19-2016, 03:13 PM
(just linking kencheungs other post)
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
10-23-2016, 06:27 PM
Add me to the list of those having continual problems with the 3rd Generation 4-Bay Drobo. At least once a week mine has been unmounting and becoming unresponsive. I had the Drobo Dashboard created volume for Time Machine backups working, but now when I look in the Dashboard I see two volumes, both named "Drobo" and no "DroboTM" volume for my backups. I just replaced all the drives in it with brand new drives this week!

I'm not sure if we are all supposed to read the writing on the main support page regarding:

"The current Drobo Product line is compatible with MacOS Sierra."

Followed by:

"The current Drobo Product line includes the following products: http://www.drobo.com/storage-products/"

In which there are no 4-bay products on that linked page.
10-24-2016, 03:17 PM (This post was last modified: 10-24-2016 03:18 PM by Paul.)
hi lwwarpup, thats an interesting observation indeed.
i did see on the current support (non-legacy page) the 4bay still here:
http://www.drobo.com/docs/
&
http://www.drobo.com/docs/start-drobo/

but in terms of your current problem, do you happen to have any diskwarrior that you could try on your problematic diskpack if you still have it? (im just wondering in case it can help fix things like it has fixed several issues for others)

you may already know this, but please remember that all diskpack drives should only be removed (or put in) in their entirety when power is all OFF and unlplugged.

also, can i check if you have been having any issues following on from sleeping/waking up the mac, or do you usually use dashboard to essentially issue the shutdown command, before shutting down the computer?

10-25-2016, 07:39 AM (This post was last modified: 10-25-2016 07:45 AM by lwwarpup.)
All the replacement drives were reintroduced while the device was powered off. Just this morning it again lost the TM volume and the dashboard shows that there are two volumes, both named Drobo (no DroboTM). I only use the dashboard when initializing the drives or investigating why they are not mounting and are failing. All drives are showing green. The computer does not get shut down. I don't have Disk Warrior.
10-25-2016, 08:23 PM
Add me to the list of the broken hearted. I have an older iMac with only USB 2.0. The same thing has happened to me but I'm not sure if it disappeared with El Capitan or Sierra. I have a partition on the Drobo G3 for my Time Machine backup and that's still intact and mounting. But the main partition where I had a bunch of video files is not mounting. Anyone know if I can pull each drive out and access what's on it to make a copy over to another external? Mine is formatted HFS so I'm hoping not all is lost. That's why I own a Drobo. Several years ago I owned another NAS unit from another company that Apple advertises in their store. A year later the company stopped supporting said device for Mac OS. It works fine in Windows and I was able to get everything off of it before turning it into a boat anchor. Hopefully Drobo will come up with a solution.
10-26-2016, 01:20 PM (This post was last modified: 10-26-2016 01:37 PM by Paul.)
thanks for more info lwwarpup, (that kind of pre-empts some other tests i was going to try) but its ok, if i think of more i post back for you.

actually - can you help me understand a bit more when you get a moment, about what you meant when you said this:
"I just replaced all the drives in it with brand new drives this week"
& did you do all replacements when power was off?

were the new drives already having existing data on them, such as a complete diskpack swap? or were these replacement drives, simply put in when power was off, and then you formatted/setup a fresh new diskpack on them?

(i also just saw your other post here, linked below)
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?

for akthom,
pulling out a single drive to access partial contents isnt really going to work, but if you happen to have access to diskwarrior, i think it definitely worth checking things with diskwarrior on your das drobo, as it has been known to fix a lot of mac and mac drobo issues.

10-26-2016, 02:37 PM
I purchased 4 new 2TB drives (assuming the old ones were failing in some manner) and did the replacements as if you were doing standard upgrades or replacements. The Drobo was powered up and I replaced one drive at a time, waiting for the blinking green/yellow lights to go solid green, and then continuing with the next drive. Even after the new drives were installed I had one failure where the volume got corrupted again and I just reformatted the pack.
10-27-2016, 09:12 AM
(10-18-2016 09:47 PM)kencheung Wrote:  Sorry. I just came upon this longer thread on this problem that others have reported. I have just posted on another forum here about my experience. Thought I would repost here since it might be more appropriate. Sorry for the duplication.

Essentially the same thing just occurred to me last night.

I'm using a 3rd Gen 4-bay Drobo connected to my iMac via USB. I have been running macOS Sierra ever since it was available from Apple. Everything had been running fine with my Drobo until yesterday. I realized my Drobo wasn't showing in my Finder. Here's what I've tried so far to remount my Drobo:

I thought I would run Drobo Dashboard to check on my unit. Everything checked out. Drobo Dashboard showed the unit was running fine and its health was "Good".

All of the various display lights on the Drobo unit were lit to (the green and blue status lights) indicate the unit was fine.

Then I checked to see if I'm running the latest version of Drobo Dashboard as well as the firmware. I realized there has been a new version of both that has been released. I decided to install/update both in case this was causing my Drobo not to be accessible via Finder.

I updated both the Drobo Dashboard and Drobo firmware, rebooted the computer, and the Drobo unit was still not seen in Finder...

Once again, Drobo Dashboard shows everything is fine. The status lights in front of the Drobo shows it's fine. But the unit won't mount in Finder. I run Disk Utility. In the Disk Utility window, on the left sidebar, it shows a "Drobo Gen3 Media" in black and then indented but in gray, "Drobo". When I do a Disk Utility "First Aid" on "Drobo", it says "First Aid process has failed". The following lines are also displayed in the dialog box: Repairing files system. File system check exit code is 8. Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required. File system verify or repair failed. Operation failed..."

Any idea what is going on? And what else I can try next?

Thanks for any suggestion.

Just an update for everyone. I've had some back and forth with Drobo support. One agent did ask if I had a copy of Disk Warrior. When I said no, he said he would see if their company could provide me with a copy. However, I received this reply from another agent today. This agent is essentially blaming the problem I am having as a Mac-issue, a file system corruption that has to do with my computer, rather than the Drobo unit...

If Mac OS Disk Utility is not able to repair you will need a stronger version of Disk Utility - Disk Warrior. - as the previous agent recommended.

Please understand, File System Corruption is not a Drobo only issue, this can happen on any Mac HFS volume, internal or external. File System Corruption is caused by:

- Unexpected Power outages

- Improper shutdowns

- Host crashes

There is no warning for file system corruption, this is something that cannot be pre-detected. We do recommend you purchase Disk Warrior to gain access to your files. Disk Warrior works with any HFS volume and Alsoft has been in business for the last 20 years, this is a good piece of software for all Mac owners to have, this software specifically addresses File System Corruption on Mac's. I am sorry you encountered this. Drobo does not have a copy of this software that we can provide to you.