Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING
03-20-2016, 08:17 AM
USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING
Hi,

My GEN 3 is not mounting. Apparently Its an Issue with the USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11. How can this be fixed?

Im having this issue on a new Mac as its worked fine the last 2 years on my older Mac and still works.

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-21-2016, 10:25 AM (This post was last modified: 03-21-2016 10:30 AM by Paul.)
RE: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING
hi, maybe there is a specific driver update (or optional patch) that you can get from apple which might address it?

you could also try with another usb cable going straight from drobo into the computer to see if it helps?
(edit, just saw and linking your other post alfredo)
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?

as you have already tried the cable, it may still be worth checking about an updated usb driver.

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
04-14-2016, 08:26 AM
I used to think the issue was the USB drivers on El Capitan so I downgraded to Yosemite but that didn't work. What I've discovered is that Drobo Gen 3 will not mount when connected directly to my mac via its USB3 ports but does mount if connected via a USB Hub with its own power source. What does this mean and how can it be fixed?
04-14-2016, 09:57 AM
What firmware version are you running on Gen3?
05-10-2016, 11:20 PM
Hello all,

Posted this question in "General Discussions" but thought it would be better here in the Gen3 specific subform.

My Drobo has the latest firmware 3.2.2, and i 've tried to connect it to two separate computers (Macs running 10.11.4 and 10.11.1). Not mounting but it is recognized by Drobo Dashboard 2.8.1 on both machines.

Should I just keep the Drobo off until a firmware is released by Data Robotics. I don't think Apple can do anything about this. Or can they?

RJ
05-11-2016, 01:46 PM
(am just linking to your other post rj too)
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
05-13-2016, 11:47 AM (This post was last modified: 05-13-2016 12:11 PM by phantomdog.)
Hi Everyone,
My first post, and it's comforting to know I'm not alone, but I'm so frustrated!!

Gen 3 Drobo latest firmware (3.2.2), latest Dashboard (2.8.1) running directly attached to a brand new 27" iMac running El Capitan 10.11.4.

Been having problems with having to reboot now and then to see the Drobo, but then yesterday, no Drobo?

I should clarify, the Drobo itself looks fine all the correct lights on, I can see it in Dashboard & the status is good on all disks, but its just not mounting so I can use it.

I've shut it down, rebooted the Mac, tried it through a USB3 Hub, tried a USB 2.0 cable, different USB 3.0 cable and all with the same result Sad

I'm pulling my hair out, it holds 6.1TB of my photos! I have a 2nd Drobo back up that I keep offsite, but I'm loathed to connect that up incase there is something that has caused this and that gets corrupted.

I have absolutely no idea what to do next? I'll be rocking in a corner if I can't access my photos, there are years worth in there Sad

Please help Sad
I thought some more information might help ?

I can see the Drobo in disk utility as well and it shows as not mounted, but also that its full with "Other" not photos ?

Anyway I tried mounting it, and as I had the fsck_hfs.log open at the time I saw the following happen:

/dev/rdisk3s2: fsck_hfs started at Fri May 13 19:09:18 2016
/dev/rdisk3s2: /dev/rdisk3s2: ** /dev/rdisk3s2
/dev/rdisk3s2: Executing fsck_hfs (version hfs-305.10.1).
/dev/rdisk3s2: Invalid content in journal
/dev/rdisk3s2: ** Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
/dev/rdisk3s2: The volume name is Drobo1
/dev/rdisk3s2: ** Checking extents overflow file.
/dev/rdisk3s2: ** Checking catalog file.
/dev/rdisk3s2: ** Checking multi-linked files.
/dev/rdisk3s2: ** Checking catalog hierarchy.
/dev/rdisk3s2: ** Checking extended attributes file.
/dev/rdisk3s2: ** Checking volume bitmap.
/dev/rdisk3s2: ** Checking volume information.
/dev/rdisk3s2: ** Repairing volume.
/dev/rdisk3s2: ** Rechecking volume.
/dev/rdisk3s2: ** The volume Drobo1 was repaired successfully.
/dev/rdisk3s2: fsck_hfs completed at Fri May 13 19:09:58 2016

I was all excited, thinking here we go, but nothingSad
05-13-2016, 03:38 PM
(05-13-2016 11:47 AM)phantomdog Wrote:  Hi Everyone,
My first post, and it's comforting to know I'm not alone, but I'm so frustrated!!

Gen 3 Drobo latest firmware (3.2.2), latest Dashboard (2.8.1) running directly attached to a brand new 27" iMac running El Capitan 10.11.4.

Been having problems with having to reboot now and then to see the Drobo, but then yesterday, no Drobo?

I should clarify, the Drobo itself looks fine all the correct lights on, I can see it in Dashboard & the status is good on all disks, but its just not mounting so I can use it.

I've shut it down, rebooted the Mac, tried it through a USB3 Hub, tried a USB 2.0 cable, different USB 3.0 cable and all with the same result Sad

I'm pulling my hair out, it holds 6.1TB of my photos! I have a 2nd Drobo back up that I keep offsite, but I'm loathed to connect that up incase there is something that has caused this and that gets corrupted.

I have absolutely no idea what to do next? I'll be rocking in a corner if I can't access my photos, there are years worth in there Sad

Please help Sad
I thought some more information might help ?

I can see the Drobo in disk utility as well and it shows as not mounted, but also that its full with "Other" not photos ?

Anyway I tried mounting it, and as I had the fsck_hfs.log open at the time I saw the following happen:

/dev/rdisk3s2: fsck_hfs started at Fri May 13 19:09:18 2016
/dev/rdisk3s2: /dev/rdisk3s2: ** /dev/rdisk3s2
/dev/rdisk3s2: Executing fsck_hfs (version hfs-305.10.1).
/dev/rdisk3s2: Invalid content in journal
/dev/rdisk3s2: ** Repairing volume.
/dev/rdisk3s2: ** Rechecking volume.
/dev/rdisk3s2: ** The volume Drobo1 was repaired successfully.
/dev/rdisk3s2: fsck_hfs completed at Fri May 13 19:09:58 2016

I was all excited, thinking here we go, but nothingSad

I have the exact same problem with my Drobo Gen 3. I have talked to Apple, and they deny it could be a hardware problem. Drobo wants the diagnostic file that Drobo Dashboard can generate to determine if its the USB 3 driver. I think that since my Drobo has dismounted several times incorrectly that the volume is corrupt, and that is why it is not mounting. Drobo suggested Disk Warrior or Data Rescue 4.

I will post what the outcome is.

Dudley Warner
06-04-2016, 07:23 PM
I used DiskWarrior to fix my Drobo. It worked, but every 2nd or 3rd time I unmount the drive from my laptop and try to remount it, it fails to mount. I have to keep running Disk Warrior to fix it.

This is a big issue for Drobo, who deny's it is an issue with their software, since both drobo and osx say everything is fine.
07-02-2016, 07:39 AM
Has anyone found a solution to this other than spending $120 on DiskWarrior? When I bought my Drobo last fall I didn't see any disclaimer warning me that if I owned a Mac I would need to purchase Disk Warrior.

Having gotten that off my chest, this is the second time in a month this has happened. The first time I used data rescue to extract my data, formatted the drive and then put the data back on. This time I realized I have Drive Genius which has a rebuild tool. I run it, it tells me it was rebuilt successfully but it still fails to mount. When I run a repair i'm still told there is invalid content in the journal. Will DiskWarrior succeed where Drive Genius failed?

Last, is this just a Drobo issue? Do Synology or other NAS/Raid solutions have this problem? If it's just Drobo, I sell my Drobo to a Windows person and go buy something else.