Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING
12-19-2016, 03:39 PM
RE: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING
I'm in the same boat - Drobo Gen3 which just shut itself down after a prolonged copy session (from an AirPort Extreme disk to the Drobo). Once again, the finder wouldn't access the Drobo.

I'm running a MacBook Pro 4,1 using Sierra 10.12.2 and the Drobo stats are: Dashboard, 2.8.5 and firmware 3.5.4.

This is the umpteenth time this has happened and I'm just fed up with this POS. Two three-terabyte drives and two two-terabyte drives plus the Drobo so about a grand but then ZERO peace of mind. I'd take whatever offer someone's willing to give me on this thing and I'd be happy to ship it to you by slingshot or large-caliber weapon.

Sure, I'm happy to spend another $130 but I have no problem with ANY other disk nor have I ever, yet this thing has been unreliable and cost more than all the other disks I have combined.

Am I contacting the sponsors who advertise these things? Heck yeah.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-22-2016, 08:59 AM
Incidentally I did contact several of the people who run Drobo adverts and told them about how lousy this thing has been and how the company's tech "support" basically tells you to buy an aftermarket product, cross your fingers, burn a sacrificial lamb and conduct a drum circle.

Interesting responses and all promised to relay my message to Drobo. Maybe Drobo will pay them in drums for their own drum circles.
12-29-2016, 10:50 AM
I ran two 3rd gen Drobos for the past year on my 2012 MacBook Pro. While I saw issues like this with the earlier 2nd gen (via Firewire and USB 2.0), I was not having any issues with my 3rd gen.

I was unaware of issues with USB 3.0 on the Mac.

I will say that when I previously had the "volume won't mount" issue, I bought Disk Warrior and it fixed it for me. I now won't live without DW. The previous version had issues with Drobos reporting "hardware malfunction" (DW says it's hardware; Drobo says it's DW since the Drobo is responding slower than a normal drive). The current DW 5.0 has not had any issues on the 3rd gens I had, and the new 5Cs I now use.

I strongly suggest DW, and run it regularly on all your drives, Drobo or otherwise.

--
Previous: 2 x Drobo (2nd gen). 2 x Drobo (3rd gen).
Current: 2 x Drobo 5C (5x3TB WD RED drives in each).
http://www.appleause.com - Occassional Drobo/hard drive ramblings.
http://www.subethasoftware.com - Other ramblings.
Des Moines, Iowa
02-03-2017, 06:09 PM
(12-29-2016 10:50 AM)allenhuffman Wrote:  I ran two 3rd gen Drobos for the past year on my 2012 MacBook Pro. While I saw issues like this with the earlier 2nd gen (via Firewire and USB 2.0), I was not having any issues with my 3rd gen.

I was unaware of issues with USB 3.0 on the Mac.

I will say that when I previously had the "volume won't mount" issue, I bought Disk Warrior and it fixed it for me. I now won't live without DW. The previous version had issues with Drobos reporting "hardware malfunction" (DW says it's hardware; Drobo says it's DW since the Drobo is responding slower than a normal drive). The current DW 5.0 has not had any issues on the 3rd gens I had, and the new 5Cs I now use.

I strongly suggest DW, and run it regularly on all your drives, Drobo or otherwise.

I dumped the stupid thing. NO other hard drive is so unstable and unreliable that the manufacturer recommends buying a piece of software to fix the problems with their drives.

Considering how pricey these drives are when all is said and done and how the company's major selling point is piece of mind, this is a total waste of money. I have contacted every advertiser I can find who advertises Drobo and shared my horror with them plus have posted on Amazon. I also shared my honest story on a few photography groups.

Instead of being Digital Robotics DROBO should stand for Disreputable Retards. How can you make a hard drive that just "disappears" and their best efforts are to tell you to buy a piece of software not even available on the Apple Store and hope that that works.

For a few hundred bucks I can buy several external drives and create a RAID with Apple's built-in software and it doesn't just "disappear." Ever. No matter how I turn it on or off.
02-09-2017, 05:35 PM
(03-20-2016 08:17 AM)alfred0 Wrote:  Hi,

My GEN 3 is not mounting. Apparently Its an Issue with the USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11. How can this be fixed?

Im having this issue on a new Mac as its worked fine the last 2 years on my older Mac and still works.

Thanks

I have similar problem. Mine will show up on desktop. I get mac OS cannot repair this volume. I can access contents but cannot write to drive. Neither Mac disk utility or tech tool can repair it. Dashboard says all A OK.
02-10-2017, 06:24 PM (This post was last modified: 02-10-2017 06:24 PM by Paul.)
hi rvande,
i remember in the past you were able to fix an issue with tech tool, though is it possible there is a newer version from them, that could be worth trying?

in case not, if you have access to diskwarrior, that might be able to help fix the issue too if possible

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
02-10-2017, 10:56 PM
(02-10-2017 06:24 PM)Paul Wrote:  hi rvande,
i remember in the past you were able to fix an issue with tech tool, though is it possible there is a newer version from them, that could be worth trying?

in case not, if you have access to diskwarrior, that might be able to help fix the issue too if possible

Tech tool says It can't do anything because it is running from the deorobo. Never mind that i didn't attach the drobo until after I Launched tech tool and since I had a previous version of disk warrior (v.4) I was able to upgrade for $60. However running it on the drobo causes a kernel panic. I have uninstalled diskwarrior using appdelete and plan to reinstall. I will be receiving the diskwarrior recovery thumb drive in a few days.
02-11-2017, 12:30 PM
I was finally able to get my Drobo repaired. After 3 Kernal Panics running DW off the main hard drive, I created a DW rescue thumb drive and started up from that. Ran program successfully and it mounted no problem when I rebooted back in to computer. Looks like DW is the answer. I wish Drobo would address this in one of the forums or even on twitter.
02-13-2017, 03:13 PM
ah thanks for the update rvande and am glad in the end you were able to fix and mount again

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
03-13-2017, 11:52 AM (This post was last modified: 03-13-2017 11:55 AM by alfred0.)
the solution is on you tube folks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsJAcfr73gs

No need to purchase Disk Warrior! Seriously

That said, im still connected via a USB Hub with its own power source. There seems to be no fix for that I guess. : (

(02-13-2017 03:13 PM)Paul Wrote:  ah thanks for the update rvande and am glad in the end you were able to fix and mount again