Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING
07-02-2016, 03:10 PM
RE: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING
I seem to have a similar issue. I plugged the Drobo 3rd GEN into my late 2011 Mac running 10.11.5. The drobo appears to boot, but then all the Bay lights go off (or the top one goes red if no drives are installed). The all the capacity lights blink forever, never mounts, never seen in the Dashboard. The four drives become hot after a while but nothing else happens, never asked to format the drives etc.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-10-2016, 03:47 PM
(07-02-2016 07:39 AM)jfomelia Wrote:  Has anyone found a solution to this other than spending $120 on DiskWarrior? When I bought my Drobo last fall I didn't see any disclaimer warning me that if I owned a Mac I would need to purchase Disk Warrior.

Having gotten that off my chest, this is the second time in a month this has happened. The first time I used data rescue to extract my data, formatted the drive and then put the data back on. This time I realized I have Drive Genius which has a rebuild tool. I run it, it tells me it was rebuilt successfully but it still fails to mount. When I run a repair i'm still told there is invalid content in the journal. Will DiskWarrior succeed where Drive Genius failed?

Last, is this just a Drobo issue? Do Synology or other NAS/Raid solutions have this problem? If it's just Drobo, I sell my Drobo to a Windows person and go buy something else.

An update to the above post, but for the second time in a month this has happened and Drobo again tells me it's not their problem, go spend $120 on disk warrior and MAYBE it will work. I'm fed up, they obviously don't care too much about Mac users. So I'll be selling my Drobo Gen 3 to a happy Windows user and I'll go buy a Synology. I'll be selling it without the drives. If someone wants to make an offer, please reply.
10-03-2016, 05:48 AM
Exclamation RE: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING
Hey guys,

I have the same exact problem here. Drobo wouldn't show up in Finder anymore. Manual mount with disk utility didn't work. I also had to run Disk Warrior to get to my file - BUT, after a secure shutdown and restart of my Mac running Mac OS Sierra I have the same issue again. Disk Warrior did help again, but guys what is going on here?

Btw, newest Firmware 3.5.2 and Drobo Dashboard 2.8.3 is installed.

Thanks for any suggestions...
Sven
10-03-2016, 02:24 PM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2016 02:28 PM by Paul.)
hi yadrummer,
would you be able to please post back some more information when you get a chance, about how you usually tend to shutdown the drobo or computer?

maybe slightly changing a process could help improve thins in this regard?
for example once you get things wokring again, what happens if you exit all programs that might be using the drobo, and then to try using dashboard to safely shutdown the drobo and then to shutdown the computer.

and then after the computer and dashboard are started and running again, to then power up the drobo for usual use?

does that help prevent those issues again for you?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
10-06-2016, 10:03 AM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2016 10:19 AM by yadrummer.)
Hi Paul,

whenever I use my Drobo 3rd Gen I turn it on after the OS is already booted. When I finishes my operations I go to Drobo Dashboard and click on the Drobo and perform the shutdown of the device.

Since 10.12. an error from Drobo Dashboard pops up saying that the volume seems to busy and it could not unmount the device. Same thing with unmounting Drobo via finder.

Btw, I just updated to firmware 3.5.3, same behavior....

I contacted Drobo Support and will send them the logfiles.
Strange is that the disk activity light in the front is always on, even thought I don't transfer any files right now.
10-06-2016, 01:41 PM
I think this turns out to be a major issue for a lot of users now, as a lot of threads reporting this strange behavior.
This needs urgent attention from Drobo. I'm downgrading to 10.11 right now and reset my mac first to 10.8.5 with a clean install. Even there is a issue unmounting the drobo drive.
10-07-2016, 07:28 AM
So I downgraded to 10.11 for now, with the new firmware and drobo dashboard installed everything works fine for now. I would appreciate that Drobo, Inc. would remove their large "MacOS Sierra ready" sticker on the website - as many users in this forum posted Drobo 3rd Gen is clearly not ready. Good Day!
10-07-2016, 10:25 AM
(06-04-2016 07:23 PM)danbodenstein Wrote:  I used DiskWarrior to fix my Drobo. It worked, but every 2nd or 3rd time I unmount the drive from my laptop and try to remount it, it fails to mount. I have to keep running Disk Warrior to fix it.

This is a big issue for Drobo, who deny's it is an issue with their software, since both drobo and osx say everything is fine.

I had the same thing happen to me. It kept failing and finally became unusable. I had to reformat and start over. Seems the Drobo Gen 3 gets corrupted way too easy. It is a shame to loose all the data on the drive because of this quirk.
10-07-2016, 05:29 PM
ah sorry i missed your latest reply yadrummer,
am glad you were able to get things working again as you mentioned though

for the activity light being on (when seemingly not doing anything), maybe that could be something to do with another internal mac program accessing the drobo, (for example as far as i know, if spotlight, or something else was scanning the drobo or accessing etc, that form of activity would still trigger the activity light on the drobo unit itself) - maybe something about the mac upgrade version was scanning and subsequently locking it...

(i tend to use my drobos in a similar way as you; fire up the computer, then run dashboard and drobo, and then use dashboard to shut down when finished), and a few times in the past, if i had a locked message, i would shutdown the computer and then wait for the drobo to go into standby mode on its own. (i would still run a chkdsk next time but i usually do that often anyway)

hi jdtool have you got any more info about your drobo setup and what operating system (or upgrades/scenario) that you could post if you get a moment?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
10-13-2016, 02:22 PM
I have had the same problem after upgrading to Sierra, everything was normal then the G3 unmounted itself and would not allow mounting, and there's no Mount command now in the Drobo Dashboard.

Since I don't trust Drobo at all, I use mine as a manual backup and then have it backed up to an 8TB Seagate which I trust slightly more and have as my Time Machine. I reset the G3, reformatted it, and I am now restoring its contents.

I'll just to wait and see whether the full erase and reformat changes its mounting problem behaviour. If not, the Drobo can find a new home.